Smooth zoom? (Feature request)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

KD

Smooth zoom? (Feature request)

Post by KD » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:08 am

would it be hard to integrate smooth zooming?
like ctrl + mouse wheel for smooth zoom

kd

EL34

Post by EL34 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 pm

This is a good idea, the zoom level is a bit course as it is.

You gave me another idea.
I use a Kensington mouse which has all kind of programable button features.
You can set up button and scroll functions for any application and only for that application.
In other words the middle click can do one thing in Word and another thing in Mixcraft.

I just went into my mouse control panel and made my middle click button the play and pause button for mixcraft.
I also made left and right click at the same time, play from previous marker.

I set the scroll wheel to very fine scrolling for mixcraft only and this lets me zoom in and out better than before but no finer than current + or - does.

If you have a 5 button Kensington, you could program the other two to do things.

The kensington mouse can emulate keyboard strokes and macros so mixcraft would have to have keyboard shortcuts for the functions that you want to control with your mouse.

Gman

Post by Gman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:57 pm

Crap!

I've been using the mouse to stop and start my recording sessions. When I am wearing a guitar, headphones, etc. I find this tedious to always find and click that little red recording box. EL34 got me to thinking that it would be nice to have some hot-key short cuts. I began thinking that just being able to stop and start the session by slapping the biggest key (the spacebar) would be a great addition. Since I knew there were some keyboard shortcuts, I thought I should check them out before making any requests. Lo and behold it was already there! DONE! Now I feel stupid, but great job guys at Acoustica!

I do have one problem that also may have already been answered, but I have not yet figured out. It is when I go to highlight a track that has already been recorded so I can edit it. Just by clicking on it with the mouse it will jump position by 20-30 ms sometimes. Now matter how still I try to keep my hand with the mouse I get track movement. Is there any other way to highlight a track without clicking on it with the mouse so that I can avoid the possibility of moving it by accident?

And, while I'm rambling, how do you fit into the Acoustica family Joseph?

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:05 pm

if you click on your clip and accidently move it just 'undo' it, which is ctrl+z

d

Gman

Post by Gman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:24 pm

And that I do. It's that I find myself undoing way too often and was wondering if I was missing another detail or technique like the spacebar shortcut above.

KD

Post by KD » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:57 pm

ok, try this..after clicking somewhere on a track (not a clip) you can highlight clips with the tab key

d

Gman

Post by Gman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:21 pm

Excellent! Sounds like what I am looking for. Next time I am booted up I will give it a try.

Thanks!

EL34

Post by EL34 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:21 am

I use track markers at the left ends of clips for alignment of clips. If I move a clip bt accident and don't catch it, I can just zoom in max and line the clip back up on the track marker.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:55 am

The other tip (which you might already know), is that you can move selected sounds using the arrow key in very small increments if you hold down the Ctrl or the Ctrl + Shift keys. You could tab to the sound, then use the Ctrl+Shift+arrow method to move the sound in 1 millisecond increments. Ctrl+Arrow gives you 20 millisecond increments.

Oh, and Shift+Tab lets you step backwards through the sounds.

Here's the help file entry on keyboad shortcuts:

Moving Sounds Around (assumes a sound is selected)
(<- or -> ) +/- quick move (depends on zoom level.) More..
Ctrl + (<- or -> ) +/- 20 milliseconds. More..
Ctrl + Shift + (<- or -> ) +/- 1 millisecond. More..

Moving the Caret Around
(<- or -> ) +/- quick move (depends on zoom level.)
Ctrl + (<- or -> ) +/- 20 milliseconds.

Ctrl + Shift + (<- or -> ) +/- 1 millisecond.
(Up arrow or down arrow) Move the caret between tracks.

Navigating around sounds
TAB Select next sound. More à
Shift+TAB Select previous sound. More à
[Esc] Deselect any selected sounds.

Playback controls
SPACE bar Start or stop playback.
SPACE + Ctrl Playback from next timeline marker.
SPACE + Ctrl + Shift Playback from last timeline marker.

(<- or -> ) Minor adjustments of current playback position
[Home] Rewind playback indicator to 0.
[End] Fast forward playback indicator to end of mix.

Other
[Delete] Delete any selection of sound(s).
+ Zoom in.
- Zoom out.
Ctrl+Z Undo.
Ctrl+Y Redo.
Ctrl+X Cut.
Ctrl+C Copy.
Ctrl+V Paste.
Ctrl+A Select All.
Ctrl+N New Mix.

Ctrl+O Open Mixcraft Projectà
Ctrl+S Save.
Ctrl+R Launch Record Dialog
Ctrl+J Join Selected Sounds
Ctrl+T Split Sound at Caret
Ctrl+I Trim Silence From selected sound

Nudging Sounds via the Keyboard
You can move sounds via the keyboard. Use the arrow keys to move selected sounds!

Moving horizontally along the timeline.
Use the arrows to move the sound quickly.
Hold down the Ctrl key and the sounds will move in increments of 20 milliseconds. Hold down the Ctrl+Shift key to move in increments of 1 millisecond.

(<- or -> ) +/- quick move (depends on zoom level.)
Ctrl + (<- or -> ) +/- 20 milliseconds
Ctrl + Shift + (<- or -> ) +/- 1 millisecond

Moving sounds vertically
You can move the sound vertically as well. You may do this if you are trying to move sound(s) to another track.

Tabbing between Sounds via the Keyboard
If you are interested in getting around quickly in the session and love the keyboard movement features, you will be happy to know that you can switch from sound to sound via the Tab key and Shift-Tab key combination.

The Tab key will select the next sound on the current track or the first sound on the subsequent track. (If you are at the end of the last track, it will go to the start of the first track.)

Holding down Shift key and pressing the Tab key will do the opposite of Tab. It will select the previous sound on the track. If it is the first track, it will select the last sound on the previous track.

Mixcraft(tm) is a registered trademark of Acoustica, Inc.

KD

Post by KD » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:07 am

just to straighten out...I'd need to zoom smooth :D

just to keep the topic in mind 8)

d

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:25 am

Hi KD,

Sorry for going off-topic like that! I'll file a feature request.

Greg

KD

Post by KD » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:13 am

it's ok...

thanks a lot

d

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:49 pm

Is there an easy way to move clips vertically from track to track without using the mouse and hoping you don't mess up the timing?

also is there a way to do a time stretch to all the tracks at once?

KD

Post by KD » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:22 am

oh, we're going off-topic again :D

to move a clip vertically, just highlight that clip (by clicking on it or using the tab key as explained a few posts ago) and use your arrow keys

Greg postet a list of all keyboard shortcuts in this thread...and theres a topic "Moving sounds vertically".... :shock:

can't help you with the time-strech problem...I dunno a way to stretch em all at once...

d

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:00 pm

Sorry I didnt see the topic that had to do with moving tracks vertically.. and i still dont. Anyways thanks for your help and I didnt want to start a new topic because I would have started about 3 topics in a week and thought it was kind of a waste. Also if that wasnt already a doable action then it would be a feature request, and i beleive that is the name of this topic.