VST and VSTi location

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Studio 919

VST and VSTi location

Post by Studio 919 »

I know this has been discussed before but I didn't get a clear direction on what, if anything, I should do.

When I bought my music pc from StudioCat a year ago it came with REAPER 32 bit and 64 bit. Since then, I also bought Toontrack's EZDrummer and EZKeys. When I downloaded them I installed everything to the default location as directed by Toontrack. Everything worked well. REAPER is a very good DAW but it is just over my head. I needed something easier to use. So, I finally bought Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio about a week ago.

So far I have not attempted to record anything in Mixcraft 6, I've just been playing around with it in order to get familiar with the functionality. The Toontrack products mentioned above all work fine, but I still have them in the Toontrack default locations.

Should I attempt to move everything to a unique location, for example C:\VST? If so, what do I actually move? Or, should I leave well enough alone since everything works? I saw today that audiodeluxe.com has a sale on Toontrack products and I may want to purchase some of them. But, I don't want to keep downloading stuff to the default locations and then have a problem in the future.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Acoustica Greg

Re: VST and VSTi location

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The default VST locations are just fine. If you need to add a new VST folder to Mixcraft's list of VST folders, you can do that in the Plug-Ins preferences. Just make sure that you don't add any non-VST folders to that list, or you could end up with a bunch of errors as Mixcraft launches.

Greg
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Thanks a lot Greg. That's what I needed to know. :D

Let me say, too, that when I go to Preferences and then select "Plug-Ins" it pulls up a window that says "Additional VST Plug-In Folder". Just below that it says "The software will use VST/VSTi plug-ins from the following folders". In my case no locations are shown in this window.

Sorry to keep beating this issue to death - I'm just trying to make sure I have everything set up in order to avoid potential problems down the road.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft automatically searches your default VST folder if you have one set on your computer. If the Toontrack plugins are showing up inside Mixcraft, then the VST folder that Toontrack used must have been the default VST folder on your computer. This folder won't be listed when you go into the Plug-Ins preferences, but you'll know it's working because you see the plugins in Mixcraft. You only need to add paths to that list if you've got some new plugins that Mixcraft isn't finding.

Greg
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Thanks again Greg. You've been very helpful.