Moving Track Markers

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Moving Track Markers

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:59 am

When i have marked some reference points with track markers, and i go back and do some editing to remove or add in sections, is there anyway to get the markers to automatically move and stay lined up with the original musical point i marked.

Only thing i can see to do is note amount of time i am adding or deleting and adjust each marker individually with this change.

Thanks

EL34

Post by EL34 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:55 pm

I wish that when I select all clips and move them left or right the track markers would move also.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:27 am

A "move markers with selection" option?

Or a "sticky marker" feature that would allow you to attach sounds to a marker?

EL34

Post by EL34 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:18 pm

I would think that all the markers would automatically just be moved when select all is chosen and all tracks are moved?

Sound reasonable?

I don't think attaching a marker to just one sound will work since I use one marker say to line up the left edge of several clips or to mark where a bridge or break is starting or ending. These markers don't have anything to do with any particular clip.

If there is a reason to have a different kind of marker, maybe you can have two types. One is a main mix marker and gets moved when select all is chosen and the other marker can do whatever it has to do?

One of the main reasons I move all the tracks is because I have a 8 count click track at the beginning usually and then this click track gets deleted later. Then I want to move the whole mix left so that I get a one second silence and then the song starts.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:44 pm

It would have to be an optional setting, because I'm sure some people would want the track markers to be relative to the timeline, rather than the sounds. They wouldn't want markers moving all over the place when they moved groups of sounds.

EL34

Post by EL34 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:16 am

I got cha.

No need to mess with the existing track markers. I am not using them as they were intended, I need simple markers.

Maybe it's possible to just have some sort of dumb markers that look a bit different and move with the select all function.

Here's some of the ways I use dummy markers.

Mark the one beat on the drum or click track so I know when to come in on an overdub.
Mark the one beat on the drum or click track so I can sync a clip properly.
Mark the left egdes of several clips for alignment and organization.
Mark the upcoming bridge or break start and end with a different color so I can tell when to come in when standing up with a guitar and headphones on.
Mark a spot on a clip that I need to go back and fix/edit.

EL34

Post by EL34 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:24 am

I'm posting a link to a typical mix of mine as an example. Don't want to swamp everyones forum screen. (Large image 1005 x 1015 pixels but only 92K)

Everyone of the markers is just a dumb marker used for the reasons in the post above.
http://www.hoffmanamps.com/Misc/images/Mixcraft5.gif

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:22 pm

I made it a feature request. I don't know if two kinds of markers is the answer, maybe just one kind, with an "anchor" flag or something. If that option is selected, the marker stays put unless specifically moved.

EL34

Post by EL34 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:06 pm

Good idea, a marker with an anchor feature. Not sure what you anchor it to but you guys can figure that out. :)