VST For Preserving Volume When Song Gets Dense?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GrayveRose

VST For Preserving Volume When Song Gets Dense?

Post by GrayveRose »

:?: Hey, was just wondering if there is a vst or something that will preserve your volume so it sounds as obvious or noticeable while in a dense part of the mix as well as when solo.
For example, my low bass kicks when solo are about -4db away from max, but when the song gets dense with the guitar and other tracks, the bass only comes through about -6 or less unless i manually automate the volume to be louder on that one section. I'm fine with a manual editing method like automation, just curious; cause i can think of some other projects where I would want it to be an automatic adjustment

-Grayve Rose
msnickybee

Re: VST For Preserving Volume When Song Gets Dense?

Post by msnickybee »

Hi Grayve Rose

I'm no expert, but I believe in mixing so that each sound has its own "space", both in terms of frequency and soundstage...

So, I'll often pan my guitars eg. 80% left (and potentially 80% right too), and also consider any instruments that can be in a similar frequency to some of the bass sound... some resonance from a low voice, bass, low organ or synth or cello... you get the idea.

Also, roll off any of the higher unneeded bass frequencies. Compression can also help. Sometimes for kick and for bass, a bit of distortion (the "acoustica distortion" VST) can help it cut through.
Reverb on other tracks (or even the drums themselves) can make them sit better together, as I don't think it's necessarily about just increasing the volume.... a cut of other things is better than a boost!

tc
nicky
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
GrayveRose

Post by GrayveRose »

True deal, I follow the same principles of mixing as well; as they pretty much solve all situations where you would want things to sit well and sound right. In my situation though I found out that it wasnt cutting through as loud as I hoped cause the limiter was making it quieter to prevent clipping during the dense parts, which should of been common sense at the time but I guess I wasnt thinking ha. Was able to solve the issue by mainly bringing out the 64hz range and making the bass more quick and poppy rather than carry out for so long. So absolutely, editing and panning and using compression or other techniques do the job, but the main thing I was curious about was if there was a vst that automatically could adjust the volume on a track that you wanted to sound like it was just as loud when in dense parts as it does when solo, so it sounds like it doesnt get smothered with everything else as far as volume goes. But like you said, I too believe in; I'd much rather adjust things manually to get the perfect sound and mix I want rather than leave it to a vst, and making things louder isnt quite the best solution. Would be interesting in some situations though, if you wanted a signal to sound just as significant in loud areas as much as it does when alone so it doesnt sound like it changes at all or get smothered. Maybe compression can be used that way?

-Grayve Rose
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Did you try using the Broadcast Multiband Compressor, or another multiband compressor, instead of the limiter (or in the fx chain before the limiter)?

You should be able to keep your lows up in the mix that way.
*Vibrant Audio*
GrayveRose

Post by GrayveRose »

ah coincidence you mention that, Ive had that vst for some time but havent done much with it. Ill have to try that out, nice tip

-Grayve Rose