Something wrong when comping

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

Re: Something wrong when comping

Post by Ianpb »

I was comping, ie. transplanting a couple of sections from another vocal take, and also moving some sections slightly that were a little out of time.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Yep, I understand that, but why are you merging? What will happen if you don't merge?
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

The clip may be accidentally moved at a later date. If I'm shortening a vowel that is sung a little long I need to cross-fade one half into the other and then merge to check that it's a smooth transition with no clicks. Furthermore, I prefer to send the whole track as one piece into my audio editor to clean up.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Ianpb wrote:The clip may be accidentally moved at a later date.
Group the edited clips together.
If I'm shortening a vowel that is sung a little long I need to cross-fade one half into the other and then merge to check that it's a smooth transition with no clicks.
No you don't, merging it doesn't make any difference to the sound of the edit. (edit: actually merging CAN add all sorts of clicks and buzzes, which is why I am giving you alternatives to merging)
Furthermore, I prefer to send the whole track as one piece into my audio editor to clean up.
Right click the track and select 'mix to new audio track' - that way you will have a new, one-piece comp plus the original edited comp will stay in tact.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

aj113 wrote:Group the edited clips together.
I'm not sure what you mean here but I prefer to edit the vocals on one unified track in the external editor in order to ensure uniformity.
No you don't, merging it doesn't make any difference to the sound of the edit. (edit: actually merging CAN add all sorts of clicks and buzzes, which is why I am giving you alternatives to merging)
It does make a difference when you cut a little from the vowel sound and then push the remainder together to form the cross-fade. This will reduce the length of the vowel, and I can ensure no clicks or other artifacts occur by immediately merging to check. If there are any noises I arrange the cross-fade edit differently. If all else fails I just re-sing it.
Right click the track and select 'mix to new audio track' - that way you will have a new, one-piece comp plus the original edited comp will stay in tact.
That will only work if there are no edits over any sound parts, ie. the vowel sections I mentioned above.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

You don't need to merge tracks to check edits. They play exactly the same without merging. In fact, if you merge after every edit, this takes away the ability to go back and change the edit afterwards if you find something you want to change.

You don't need to merge tracks together in order to prevent moving them. In fact, merging tracks will not prevent the newly merged track itself from being moved. Lock the track if you don't want it to be moved.
That will only work if there are no edits over any sound parts, ie. the vowel sections I mentioned above.
Incorrect. Try it.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

aj113 wrote:You don't need to merge tracks to check edits. They play exactly the same without merging. In fact, if you merge after every edit, this takes away the ability to go back and change the edit afterwards if you find something you want to change.

You don't need to merge tracks together in order to prevent moving them. In fact, merging tracks will not prevent the newly merged track itself from being moved. Lock the track if you don't want it to be moved.
Incorrect. Try it.
I've found that clicks will often appear after merging when they are not there before merging.
Before merging all the separate clips together, I insert a blank section at the start of the track so that after it's all merged the full vocal clip will have a reference position at the start of the track. I do this so that if I decide to create a doubled track with Melodyne (modifying pitch and modulation) then all vocal tracks will be automatically synchronised. If I don't do this I would be spending more time synchronising the various doubled cips with those of the original track.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Ianpb wrote:I've found that clicks will often appear after merging when they are not there before merging.
Exactly! Hence - don't merge!
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

aj113 wrote:
Ianpb wrote:I've found that clicks will often appear after merging when they are not there before merging.
Exactly! Hence - don't merge!
I understand what you're getting at, it's just, as I said earlier, that I would prefer to have the whole track together in the external audio editor to ensure uniformity, and if I should wish to create a harmonising track then I would want it to be as one when I load it into Melodyne. This would be absolutely essential when building choirs from my vocals. If I can't manage a noiseless join I'll just sing that bit again, but often I can.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Ianpb wrote:...I would prefer to have the whole track together in the external audio editor to ensure uniformity...
When I'm doing that type of work, rather than merging I usually mix down the comped track to a wav file and then use that in my external editor.
*Vibrant Audio*
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I guess that's an alternative way of doing it. I'll give it a try next time.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Ianpb wrote:I guess that's an alternative way of doing it. I'll give it a try next time.
That's why I said:

"Right click the track and select 'mix to new audio track'...."