MIXER SETUP

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

PK

MIXER SETUP

Post by PK » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:52 pm

HELLO!!
I JUST BOUGHT A MIXCRAFT & BEATCRAFT FOR HOPING TO RECORD SOME OF MY SONG. I AM VERY NEW TO THIS MUSIC SOFTWARE & MIXER.
HERE IS WHAT I HAVE .

BEHRINGER UB802
NADY START POWER SP1- MIC
2 VOCOPRO WIRELESS MIC WITH A 2 RECEIVER THAT HAS 2 MIC INPUT
AMD SEMPRON 3000 WITH GIG RAM/180 GIG DRIVE ETC.
SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY
2 POWERFUL GUITAR AMP THAT HAS BUILT IN EFFECTS & ONE HAS MIC PREAMP INPUT ON BACK. (DEAN MARKLY & CRATE)
CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME HOW I CAN SETUP ALL THIS
DEVICE TO PC.
I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUE TIME IN THIS MATTER.
THANK YOU
PK

Gman

Post by Gman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:06 pm

First get your mixer plugged into your sound card. You should use a cable llike-
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=333053

Or, if you have a cable that has phono plugs on the one end you can also use the "Tape Out" signal to your sound card.

Plug the mic into one of the two low-Z ports and turn the volume up about half way on the master and the mic channel, then bring the gain up on the mic channel until you get 1-2 green lights showing above the main sliding volume control when you are talking/playing into the mic.

Open Mixcraft, hit the red record button and speak/play into your microphone. The volume bars in the record window should be bouncing up and down. Hit the record button in the recording window and you are making your first recording.

Your wireless receiver should have an ouput jack that (with the right cord) will plug directly into one of the input channels on the mixer. You can mic your amps or see if they have a line out (or headphone jack) and also run them to another channel on your mixer. Again, just turn up the volumes 1/2 way on the mixer and then up on the amp until the green lights bounce on the mixer when you play. You should only turn up the channel you are recording so you don't get extra noise. Don't worry about the mixer levels as much as the levels in Mixcraft's recording window.

I'm not a Beatcraft user, so someone else will help you there.

This should get you started. Ask questions if something is not clear.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:43 pm

Geman!!
Thanks for your kind post. Okay here is i am confused about. How can i hook my amp to mixer? I have 2 amp. ONe has line out on back(preamp) other one has head line out. I am loking at the mixer's manual ko figure it out hook up to it but it won't tell me anyting about it. all i wanna do is run my both amp & 3 mic. One Nada mic & 2 other is wireless. Yes it has line out for both mic. My question is which channel yuo should hook it up. All channels are with 2 port. line in & out right & left. But amp has onely one big jack like guitar's cable jack coming out on cabel.

Gman

Post by Gman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:18 pm

Connect the line out of the amp to the left plug of one of the input channels of the Behringer mixer. It appears that when only the left input of a channel is used on a Behringer mixer, the channel will function in mono (that's why it says mono next to that input) and feed that input equally to the left and right channels of your sound card through the main outputs of the mixer. If you were to hook 2 mics into (one into each of the ports) on one of the channels, one mic would be recorded on the right channel and one on the left channel.

I hope that this is not too confusing. Basically, the 802 mixer is a 4 channel mixer. So you can run 2 mics and 2 amps. By using both inputs on each channel the board will then be 6 channels but then the stereo mix gets strange. The mixer says it is 8 channel, but you never use both inputs on channel 1 and 2 together as that is combining low-Z and high-Z on the same input which should never be done.

I'm not sure about head(?) line out you have, but always be sure to use line out to the mixer and not speaker/cab out or that funny smell will be your mixer as it goes up in smoke.

I'm rambling again - Time to go.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:16 pm

Thanks Gman!!!!
Head line means Headphone input , sorry about my typing. okay i will try that out today then get back with you. thank so much again..
pk

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:35 am

Hello!!! Gman!!!
OKay Finally I got little better about the setup but . my sound is not coming from amp it's coming from my pc subwoofer & speaker.

Here is how i hooked it up.

Nada mic is hooked on mic 1 invisible pre.

preamp line out cable from my Dean markley amp hooked on line in Left port under the streo aux return port.

cable with jack hooked in mic 2 invisible pre from another crate amp thru speaker input, it has another input which i got that hooked to wireless receiver. i can see green light blikns & hear too. BUt no sound comes from both of my amp when i talk on mic, only from my pc speaker.

line in cable hooked sound card on main out port on mixer which is left & right .

Please I hope to hear from you soon.
thanks again

Gman

Post by Gman » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:02 am

It sounds as if everything works, just that it is not as you expected.

Once you use the line out of the amps, they will quit using their speaker. If you want to record the amps using their speakers, then do not use the amp's line out but place a microphone 1-2 inches in front and slightly off the center of one of the speakers. (Most guitars are recorded by mic'in the amps this way. Bass and keyboards usually use a line out.)

Your vocals should always be recorded directly into Mixcraft (which you would only hear with the computer speakers). This allows you to control the effects, EQ (equalization), compression, etc on the vocal track. If you have trouble hearing your vocals, try recording with headphones. Most recording is done using headphones as it is much easier to hear pitch and separation.

Remember, with Mixcraft, you are not trying to record everything at once, although you can do it that way. The idea is to record a beat or drum track first. Then when it is playing back on track 1, you may record your rhythm guitar on track 2, then when those 2 tracks are played back you record vocals on track 3, and so on.

If you record everything at once onto track 1, there is no way to change your vocal track or add effects just to say the rhythm guitar or just the lead guitar. Try to build your songs one track at a time. That way you have much better control of each instrument and can redo, change or improve on just one part of the mix instead of trying to do the whole thing again.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:15 pm

Hey!! Gman
Thanks a lot for great info. Now i know how it works. Yes i will record track by track. I guess, i wil have to hook up amp with guitar & other instrument, by itself, instead in mixer. Let's see what happens, I will post it once it's done.
thanks again
:)
pk