Need help with ASIO maybe?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Need help with ASIO maybe?

Post by Mark Bliss »

The original question was basically how to record and monitor with low latency and playback with what he had, and he never mentioned mixing studio needs such as a critical listening station that would suggest he was looking for near-field monitors and all that implies. So I never suggested studio monitors, and based on what he asked and has indicated, still dont at this point. Can of worms side track from the original questions, and if he becomes interested in that route, I suggest much studying and research beforehand or its a waste of funds.
In summary however, I would point out that so called "Proper" studio monitors are designed for a highly focused purpose, and generally dont sound very good for pleasant playback. "Economy" studio monitors arent gong to be that great a leap in quality. And near fields are designed in a way that typically gives them a very small listening "sweet spot." And in general, "studio monitors" accent the mid range frequencies as opposed to the mid range "scoop" found in other common speakers for the focused attention needed in a mixing environment. Which brings us to the room treatment needs.
Sound like what he was asking about? I dont think so!

Nvincible,
As has been explained, there are several ways to use what you have. I tried to show what I feel is the simplest to get you started. CRAZY6STRINGS pointed out more ways to hook up your system, and a good resource for more information on getting the most from what you have. Theres more information here in the tips and tricks forum, start with the sticky thread at the top for a resource list.

Get it hooked up, sort your settings and start having some fun. Then when your ready we can move to the next stage!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Nvincible

Post by Nvincible »

Raidx wrote:Without changing anything... this is what i would do

create your stuff using headphones in your focusrite

Play it back using your onboard soundcard and that pretty logitech sound system ( i have the same... love it)

If you want to throw a little cash you could get something like the AKAI RPM3 (for around 100$) and output your focusrite to those monitor... good quality (IMO) and very cheap.

I use them and it is perfect for recording (i use them to play music from my iphone too...they are small and can be moved around easily...
After playing around today for a couple hours, I have a much better grasp of how to use my equipment. I think I've found that a good headset will be my next purchase. I tried using my little Bose in ear types and though they sound great, the cord isn't near long enough. Then, unhooked my PC headset and used that but again, I don't want to unhook and move around every time, plus, that cord isn't really long enough either. So, instead of studio monitors I will look for a nice headset with longer cords.

Looks like the best immediate answer is to use the Focusrite as the sound card while creating and switching to the PC to listen when done. That works for me.

If and when I get better at all this, I will investigate other avenues.

Great suggestions everyone. I really appreciate the help and advice!
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

well I hate to even say anything because of the "experts" around here lately but you may want to read this-
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/a ... phones.htm

good luck.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Gypsy, thats a great article and great advise.
Quality headphones can be a extremely useful and "must have" tool in the small studio as long as you understand their limitations, as pointed out in the article.

And if the "experts" comment was pointed at me, I'll take the jab even if its a bit blunt. I make no claim of expertise, but I will say I have done my homework extensively and when I offer a suggestion, advise or opinion, I try to be sure I can back it up with practical reasoning. If you disagree with anything I said, I welcome your input.
In this particular case I just think the usual "oh you need studio monitors" is bad advise, based on the original post and users intent. Re-read it and judge for yourself, but It simply doesnt sound like what he was looking for to me. Proceding forward, he will likely at some point want studio monitors, and when he is ready for that, he will know it, and the advise can shift accordingly.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Raidx

Post by Raidx »

Nvincible wrote:
Raidx wrote:Without changing anything... this is what i would do

create your stuff using headphones in your focusrite

Play it back using your onboard soundcard and that pretty logitech sound system ( i have the same... love it)

If you want to throw a little cash you could get something like the AKAI RPM3 (for around 100$) and output your focusrite to those monitor... good quality (IMO) and very cheap.

I use them and it is perfect for recording (i use them to play music from my iphone too...they are small and can be moved around easily...
After playing around today for a couple hours, I have a much better grasp of how to use my equipment. I think I've found that a good headset will be my next purchase. I tried using my little Bose in ear types and though they sound great, the cord isn't near long enough. Then, unhooked my PC headset and used that but again, I don't want to unhook and move around every time, plus, that cord isn't really long enough either. So, instead of studio monitors I will look for a nice headset with longer cords.

Looks like the best immediate answer is to use the Focusrite as the sound card while creating and switching to the PC to listen when done. That works for me.

If and when I get better at all this, I will investigate other avenues.

Great suggestions everyone. I really appreciate the help and advice!
You could get a cable extension (male on one end female on the other) for your headphones. Some will say it will decrease performance... bah maybe a little but if you are short on cash and want to use what you have right now it would cost you under 5$ and voila... all set.