Importing midi files into existing projects?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

UilleannB

Importing midi files into existing projects?

Post by UilleannB »

I wonder if it is possible in Mixcraft to import a midi file into another existing project?

I have started two songs in different files and worked a while on them, saved them as midi files, but they are based on the same motif and I want now the one being the beginning and the other the ending of the same track - is it possible to load two midi files into the same Mixcraft project?
TrevsAudio

Re: Importing midi files into existing projects?

Post by TrevsAudio »

Not sure if I fully understand, but ...

Open Mixcraft with file 1, select the part you require, right click and 'copy'. Now you can open the second Mixcraft file and 'paste' that part where you want.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

One way to do it would be to select the MIDI clips you want, press Ctrl+C to copy them, open up the other project in the same instance of Mixcraft and then paste them.

You can select groups of MIDI clips by dragging a highlight or holding down the Ctrl key as you select them one by one.

Greg
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Okay, this wasn't the way I imagined it, but it worked too. Thanks!
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hi there,

You can easily import all the MIDI files you want into a Mixcraft project. Just click on the Sound menu and select Add A Sound File and choose your MIDI file. Or right click on a virtual instrument track and select Add Sound File. Select your MIDI file and it will be imported into the project.

I'm not sure why folks immediately jumped to the more difficult way of copying MIDI into your project, but the above suggestions will certainly work, too.

Dan
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

My thinking was that sometimes loading a .mid file can add a bunch of new tracks, and that might not be a desired result for an existing project. Copying and pasting selected clips would let you put them where you wanted them.

Greg
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Yes, actually these two different methods work well for different purposes. Good to know more than one though :-)
I also noticed that the add sound option seems to loose instrument information of the first midi after adding the second (then suddenly all the instruments of the first midi turned into the piano).