Lanes

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

packhorse

Lanes

Post by packhorse »

Hi Guys,

I usually create my songs in short bursts and keep adding to what I have already saved. However, I am not keen on lanes as I just want to carry on where I left off. Can I do this without creating new lanes?

Thanks

Glynn
markcm

Re: Lanes

Post by markcm »

I believe you right click the track, over on the left where the arm and such is and then change the track recording mode/method type. Sorry for poor terminology, I'm going from memory but you should find it pretty quick; there are 3 options, I think you want overdub or something like that. Again, vague but it should get what you want done.
Mackie Onyx 1620 Firewire mixer
Intel Dual core, win7 x64 (4gb Ram)
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi!

Just place the play head at the end of the recorded section - or where you want the new recording to begin. Then hit the punch in button and it will continue from that point. You can also back up a bit to get an "intro" and Mixcraft will begin recording from the punch in point.

Of course you could also just press "pause" after the first section and then "record" from that point - but you won't get any lead up.
Attachments
pic.png
pic.png (30.94 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
packhorse

Post by packhorse »

trevlyns wrote:Hi!

Just place the play head at the end of the recorded section - or where you want the new recording to begin. Then hit the punch in button and it will continue from that point. You can also back up a bit to get an "intro" and Mixcraft will begin recording from the punch in point.

Of course you could also just press "pause" after the first section and then "record" from that point - but you won't get any lead up.
Thanks for this.

However, I want to hear what I have recorded before, so that I can immediately carry on after that without deleting what I have already recorded.

Almost there, I think.

Glynn
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

OK Glynn, got a better understanding.

Assuming you want to do intro, verse 1, verse 2; first set the snap to "snap to measure"

Right click on the track header and select Recording mode>Overdub.

Now record the first section - let's say intro - 4 measures.

Trim the intro to where you want the next section to begin then highlight the verse 1 section - let's say 8 bars. Click the punch in/out button.

Rewind to start and hit record. Mixcraft will play the intro and then continue to record whatever you lay down in the next 8 bars.

Continue throughout the song. You don't need to go to the start every time. Just place the play head anywhere before the punch in and it will play from there and start recording at the punch in.

The point of setting "snap to measure" is that so the new highlighted section will not overlap the pre-recorded section - resulting in lanes.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member

packhorse

Post by packhorse »

trevlyns wrote:OK Glynn, got a better understanding.

Assuming you want to do intro, verse 1, verse 2; first set the snap to "snap to measure"

Right click on the track header and select Recording mode>Overdub.

Now record the first section - let's say intro - 4 measures.

Trim the intro to where you want the next section to begin then highlight the verse 1 section - let's say 8 bars. Click the punch in/out button.

Rewind to start and hit record. Mixcraft will play the intro and then continue to record whatever you lay down in the next 8 bars.

Continue throughout the song. You don't need to go to the start every time. Just place the play head anywhere before the punch in and it will play from there and start recording at the punch in.

The point of setting "snap to measure" is that so the new highlighted section will not overlap the pre-recorded section - resulting in lanes.
Thanks Trevor for helping me with this.

I have tried what you say. I have clicked snap to measure at the top of the screen, however, when the timeline gets to the highlighted area it still splits into two lanes. Am I missing something?

Thanks again,

Glynn
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi again Glynn.

Just tried it again on a rough test and it definitely works OK for me. The only way I can get it to go to lanes is if I overlap the first section. Maybe zoom in close and make sure that is not happening. Also, once you have recorded the first part and set the punch in/out for the second; rewind to start and hit record again. It won't record over the first part.

There's another way to do this too by recording each successive part on a separate track. i.e. intro on track 1, verse 1 on track 2 etc. Just remember to un-arm the track just recorded. You'll end up with a bunch of "stepped" tracks but each can be trimmed by splitting and deleting unwanted bits. Then just drag lower clips to butt onto the end of clip 1. They can then be merged when the recording is complete.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member

packhorse

Post by packhorse »

trevlyns wrote:Hi again Glynn.

Just tried it again on a rough test and it definitely works OK for me. The only way I can get it to go to lanes is if I overlap the first section. Maybe zoom in close and make sure that is not happening. Also, once you have recorded the first part and set the punch in/out for the second; rewind to start and hit record again. It won't record over the first part.

There's another way to do this too by recording each successive part on a separate track. i.e. intro on track 1, verse 1 on track 2 etc. Just remember to un-arm the track just recorded. You'll end up with a bunch of "stepped" tracks but each can be trimmed by splitting and deleting unwanted bits. Then just drag lower clips to butt onto the end of clip 1. They can then be merged when the recording is complete.
Thanks Trevor,

Got it working now. Thanks for your input.

Regards

Glynn

(Worcester, West Midlands)