Question about New Songs

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Gusher

Question about New Songs

Post by Gusher »

If I were to make a new song using the samples provided in this software with new lyrics that I created can the samples along with my lyrics be copyrighted? Or just the lyrics itself?
teljax

Re: Question about New Songs

Post by teljax »

All loops in MC are royalty free. If you make a song using them, the song is all yours.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Yep, that's right provided you legally own the software, but I'm not sure if you're referring to the demos, like Rapunzel - ie using the song with different words in the vocals. Surely someone must hold copyright over that. Can Acoustica comment?
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Ausus Razen 5 12 core 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Gusher

Post by Gusher »

After digging more...I doubt it, I don't really think we can. For example, SFXSOURCE.COM provided some sample kits to MixCraft and according to their license listed at http://www.sfxsource.com/license.cfm ....

"(b) Television Broadcast (Laser Drop Sync). The right to include SAC in local, regional, national, and international terrestrial, cable and satellite television broadcast productions, including commercials, programs, promos, intros, extras, headers, PSA's, infomercials, and jingles, but only in timed relation or synchronization with sequences, intermissions and visuals contained within the broadcast production in question. This license does not include performance rights. BMI licenses and administers the performance rights to SAC. As a licensee of SAC, you must abide by all applicable BMI regulations regarding timely cues sheet submissions, including proper logging of stations, networks and air dates. If SAC is used in a commercial television spot, you shall send a copy of the final spot to SFXS for proper submission to the applicable performing rights society. Musical compositions licensed by SFXS may not be used together with other musical elements to create a separate derivative musical composition on which you claim a separate copyright (i.e., you are not permitted to combine SAC with other musical elements and claim copyright to a new and distinct music composition on which you would licenses separate performance rights, etc.) "

So no we cannot and if we do what happens next is they'll send thier collectives such as BMI to collect from you...
trevlyns wrote:Yep, that's right provided you legally own the software, but I'm not sure if you're referring to the demos, like Rapunzel - ie using the song with different words in the vocals. Surely someone must hold copyright over that. Can Acoustica comment?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Here is our official policy for the loops that are included with Mixcraft:

Providing that you legally own a Mixcraft license, you may redistribute new works of art, podcasts or other sounds created using Mixcraft's loops royalty-free for any and all commercial and non-commercial uses, but you cannot redistribute the individual loops by themselves in any format, medium or recording.

If YouTube or whoever wants proof of this, here's the link: If I create a song using Mixcraft's loops, can I sell it or distribute it without having to pay Acoustica?

Our loop providers have licensed us to allow for royalty-free distribution on these particular loops. BMI or ASCAP or whoever is not going to come after you if you use Mixcraft's loops in your own original compositions.

Greg