Memorizing/remembering inspiration.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

clavguy

Memorizing/remembering inspiration.

Post by clavguy »

This is not a MC tech question. It's more for composing etc.

So, you are sitting around with your guitar or at your keyboard plucking around. All of a sudden you come up with a few bars of something that sounds really really good. Unfortunately, the few bars become pages.
Here is my question.. How can you replicate this? How do you play it again like you did the first time? I suppose you could have had the recorder going while you were "plucking around" but that won't tell you chords and notes.

Cheers
Pierre....
And yes, they have 4th of July in the UK :mrgreen:
TrevsAudio

Re: Memorizing/remembering inspiration.

Post by TrevsAudio »

Bonjour Pierre

My first instinct would be to sing the melody line in chords into the recorder of your smart phone - if of course you don't have Mixcraft to hand. Example: Mary Had a Little Lamb in C:

c c c c f f c f f c c g g c

Bottom line, never sit down and pluck around without a contraceptive (oops, sorry) recording device.
clavguy wrote:
And yes, they have 4th of July in the UK :mrgreen:
That's 'cause we're celebrating getting rid of you guys! :lol:
Last edited by TrevsAudio on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
chibear

Post by chibear »

All of a sudden you come up with a few bars of something that sounds really really good. Unfortunately, the few bars become pages.
Here is my question.. How can you replicate this?
Ha! You're describing how I write :lol:

So.....it all goes down in Mixcraft using the keyboard until I run out of steam: wrong notes, wrong chords & all. It's usually close enough that he next time I open it I can spend the next few hours turning it into what I really meant to put down and then start expanding when it comes alive again. I have a Box-O-Tunes all just waiting to come alive :)

PS: I have a gift for all Americans and wannabe Americans on the 4th. Be prepared to open your windows and turn up the volume :mrgreen:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

clavguy wrote: I suppose you could have had the recorder going while you were "plucking around" but that won't tell you chords and notes.
ear training. if you have been playing or listening to music for years you should have most of the major keys memorized(A,C,D,E).a vocal or keyboard musician w/ any kind of formal training should know middle C just by hearing it. rock & metal guys should know E & A just by hearing it because it's been the most widely used. I guess the younger metal/rock crowd would know drop D or drop C. :roll:
every guitar or bass player should know A440 just by hearing it for sure.
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

I use video function on iphone. Captures idea, and guitar neck. You can then use the video as your scratch track on you project.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind