Help needed please. What is happening with loop keys?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

davefk

Help needed please. What is happening with loop keys?

Post by davefk »

Hi All

When I chose to add a loop to an empty track, lets say for example 'Latin Rock Organ 11 Phrase A' which is in the key of A minor, the software asks me if I want to change the project key and tempo to match the loop. All fine there. But, if I then go and change the project key to say 'B' then I expect the loop to play back in B minor (2 semitones up) but it plays back in G minor which is 2 semitones down....

Am I missing the point here? What is happening?

Thanks
Vibrant Audio

Re: Help needed please. What is happening with loop keys?

Post by Vibrant Audio »

I did just as you described with the same loop and had no issues. Make sure it's set to "Adjust To Project Key" and that you don't change the key in the Sound tab.

Your Sound tab should show this:
SoundTab.png
SoundTab.png (13.53 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
*Vibrant Audio*
davefk

Post by davefk »

Vibrant Audio wrote:I did just as you described with the same loop and had no issues. Make sure it's set to "Adjust To Project Key" and that you don't change the key in the Sound tab.

Your Sound tab should show this:
SoundTab.png
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Ah right, OK, that makes sense! Changing the 'Project Key' does indeed work correctly and the sample will be in whatever key you change the project to. So what is the use of the 'Key' chooser on the 'Sounds' tab? How does that work in relation to the Project Key?

If your sample and project key are the same then no problems, but lets say you then change the sample to the key of 'B' from the sounds tab the sample ends up in the key of 'G' (-2 semitones) not 'B' (+ 2 semitones) why?
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

The Mixcraft manual says,
Assuming that the key of the sound is correct, you can change the key of a sound by adding markers with key changes and/or by changing the project's key. You do not need to change the key of the sound on the Sound tab, but, instead, you should change the project key or add key change markers! In short, if you want to change the key of a sound, change the project key! Changing the key of a sound should only be done if the detected key is wrong!

If the sound's key is wrong, you can adjust it via the "Key" drop down control. The original detected key will show up with an * next to it, in case you need to restore the original detected key.
The developers put the Key drop down control in the Sound tab to allow users to change the detected key of a sound, if for some reason it is wrong. For example, I have come across some acidized loops that the loop creator mistakenly tagged in the wrong key.
*Vibrant Audio*
outteh

Post by outteh »

So what is the use of the 'Key' chooser on the 'Sounds' tab? How does that work in relation to the Project Key?

If your sample and project key are the same then no problems, but lets say you then change the sample to the key of 'B' from the sounds tab the sample ends up in the key of 'G' (-2 semitones) not 'B' (+ 2 semitones) why?
I beleive that the key annotation on the sound tab is the original key of the song (if you don't change it) which is why it has a little asterik next to it. When you set the sound tab to allow the track to Adjust To The Project Key it changes the key of the project but does not update the key tab. How are you determining the semitones up or down adjustment?
davefk

Post by davefk »

outteh wrote:
So what is the use of the 'Key' chooser on the 'Sounds' tab? How does that work in relation to the Project Key?

I beleive that the key annotation on the sound tab is the original key of the song (if you don't change it) which is why it has a little asterik next to it. When you set the sound tab to allow the track to Adjust To The Project Key it changes the key of the project but does not update the key tab. How are you determining the semitones up or down adjustment?

By just playing the chord on the keyboard....