Split the drums into tracks (Virtual Instruments)?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

LEOVAN83

Split the drums into tracks (Virtual Instruments)?

Post by LEOVAN83 »

Hey guys,

Mixcraft 6 user here...

So I've recorded a full drum track for a song using the virtual instrument drum kits (Heavy Metal Kit). It's all in 2 tracks, one for the cymbals and one for the drums, but that's it. I need to have separate tracks for the toms, the snare, the kicks as well as the different cymbals, so I can control the levels, panning, etc.

How do I do this, the easy way?
outteh

Re: Split the drums into tracks (Virtual Instruments)?

Post by outteh »

You can create separate tracks, one for each drum (kick, snare, toms, cymbals, etc). Since you have already created the drum track, you can duplicate the track as many times as is needed depending on the drum separation you want. Then go into the piano roll of each track and erase the drum you don't want in that track. You'll end up with individual tracks for each drum. I would recommend that youi create a sub-mix track and put the individual drum tracks in it. Then you can tweak each drum sound but still have total track control of the entire drum set.
LEOVAN83

Post by LEOVAN83 »

outteh wrote:You can create separate tracks, one for each drum (kick, snare, toms, cymbals, etc). Since you have already created the drum track, you can duplicate the track as many times as is needed depending on the drum separation you want. Then go into the piano roll of each track and erase the drum you don't want in that track. You'll end up with individual tracks for each drum. I would recommend that youi create a sub-mix track and put the individual drum tracks in it. Then you can tweak each drum sound but still have total track control of the entire drum set.
I thought of that, but it sounds pretty time-consuming. Unless there's something automatic like "Split note to tracks" or "explode", I guess the only solution is what you are saying. Is there a way of quickly erasing the drums on each copied track? Like, "erase all C2 notes"?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

One way to do it would be to double-click on a piano key in the piano roll to select all the notes on that row, then you can delete them or cut and paste them to a different track if you want.

Greg
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

I use midi splitter. It's freeware. After creating midi track of full kit, copy track to new project. Save as midi file , open in midi splitter and it will create seperate track for each drum sound (note value). Save. I open that midi file in mixcraft, assign vst (you can use multiple kits), eq, pan, submix, compression, verb etc. mix down to mp3 and import into original project (kinda like old school muti track muliple machine method) improves some of the issues with a large project freezing up due to excessive plugin processing.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Mab098157 wrote:I use midi splitter. It's freeware.
Sounds interesting and potentially useful. Do you have a link to the software you use? A Google search at first just gave me a load of hardware splitters. Adding the word software to the search gave a few different options, but as you have a positive experience with the software you are using it would be handy to try that one.

Cheers

John
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Thanks - that was one of the ones that I found through my search, handy to know that it is the one that you have used.

Thanks again

John
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

The before and after can be amazing. 8)
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
songsmith1950

Post by songsmith1950 »

ThanksMab, I am going to get midi splitter now. One other option, is to get the demo version of one of the better drum kits. They will let you split the tracks and give you full mixer control for each instrument. I have and have used Beatcraft with nice results. In Beatcraft, each drum or cymbal is on it's own track while composing. You have full control over the volume, pan, and effects of each drum and track. Then when you have all of it the way you want you "render" it into an audio track for importing the completed drum track into your song.
Simple but works quite nicely. You can also import drum sounds and build your kits with sounds from different kits to your own liking.
And of course, Beatcraft is an Acoustica product, available right here, and at $39.95 is by far the most affordable quality drum kit on the market. And as far as I know you can use the drum sounds from the more expensive samples available on the net, to complete your kit.

Songsmith
Songbird Hill
Tascam US1800, Presonus 44VSL, M Audio Fast Track USB
Mixcraft Studio 6, Cakewalk Sonar X2a, Studio One Professional, ver 2.5
guitars and keys
PC I7, 750 GB, Firewire and USB 3, Win 7
Asus VivoTab, full Windows 8, 64 Gig
If it sounds good it IS good!
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

Mab098157 wrote:I use midi splitter. It's freeware. After creating midi track of full kit, copy track to new project. Save as midi file , open in midi splitter and it will create seperate track for each drum sound (note value). Save. I open that midi file in mixcraft, assign vst (you can use multiple kits), eq, pan, submix, compression, verb etc. mix down to mp3 and import into original project (kinda like old school muti track muliple machine method) improves some of the issues with a large project freezing up due to excessive plugin processing.
that sounds like a useful thing to add for Mixcraft 7. :wink:
it seems Logic has that capability-
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... drums.html (post #2)

Generally I do it in Logic and this is how it goes.
Record the drum part as midi. Run the split track midi command that splits the midi track into its separate elements. Now you have a midi track for snare, bass drum, hihat blah blah blah. Then record those elements to audio singly and do you typical eq compression or whatever.The trick is to split the midi information into separate tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX6ocOW7yDo
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

I'm may get me one too:mrgreen:
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

Mab098157 wrote:I use midi splitter. It's freeware. After creating midi track of full kit, copy track to new project. Save as midi file , open in midi splitter and it will create seperate track for each drum sound (note value). Save. I open that midi file in mixcraft, assign vst (you can use multiple kits), eq, pan, submix, compression, verb etc. mix down to mp3 and import into original project (kinda like old school muti track muliple machine method) improves some of the issues with a large project freezing up due to excessive plugin processing.
I was curious , so I tried this. The midi splitter program keeps sending a message that "no markers are found in project.....". Are your options set as they come default in midi splitter?

edit: This program recognizes marker events as well as text events. Which does Mixcraft save, if either, when saving as midi file?
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
Javan21

Post by Javan21 »

Hi was this feature ever updated for mixcraft 8. I too would like to split my drum tracks and pan them accordingly, but do not want to use aftermarket vst if I don't have too
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Javan21 wrote:Hi was this feature ever updated for mixcraft 8. I too would like to split my drum tracks and pan them accordingly, but do not want to use aftermarket vst if I don't have too
Hi,

No, we did not add a MIDI splitting feature to Mixcraft 8.1. Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101