Recording Problem

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mr_sightz

Recording Problem

Post by mr_sightz »

Hi, I've been using Mixcraft for a while and never had this problem until now.
When I'm recording vocals or guitar OR ANYTHING into Mixcraft it's offset/ off beat.
I don't know if it's latency because it's not LATE. Everything I record is about a 2 seconds early. I hate having to record a vocal and then waste time dragging the file on beat before I can listen to it! haha Anyone have any ideas or solutions? It would be greatly appreciated :mrgreen:
Last edited by mr_sightz on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Recording Problem

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What's your audio hardware setup? Also, in Mixcraft's sound device preferences, what do you have selected there: Wave, ASIO or WaveRT? What is selected as the playback device?

Greg
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

perhaps you're just jumping the beat?
mr_sightz

Post by mr_sightz »

I'm using a HP laptop, with a 64-bit & 4gig RAM.
For recoding I have a blue Blue Bird microphone.
& In my preferences I have waveRT selected, but wave does the same thing & ASIO doesn't produce sound. Is there a setting to automatically set vocals 'on beat' or in real time?
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi there, for what it's worth, I was using that exact same computer setup for mixcraft earlier on, and found it to be not up to it really well, especially if you have other stuff on it also. I went for a fairly mild desktop and the difference is staggering. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but I consider laptops to be lacking for recording, unless they are super specs.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I disagree. I have a similar but older laptop and while it has its limitations, it works fine for basic functions.
I can record at low latency with an economy interface and its ASIO driver.
I also sometimes use a USB mic that is equipped with a headphone output for monitoring.

You didnt say, but it sounds like you are using the onboard soundcard? Most dont support this kind of use very well.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

he said he's jumping the beat. that doesn't sound like latency unless he's really good @ compensating or is it just on playback?
first thing I would check is my interface & buffers or not & is he using generic ASIO?
the only reason you should be jumpimg the beat w/ recording is if your human timing is off....
mr_sightz

Post by mr_sightz »

I can assure you it's not me, the vocals are placed around two seconds early on anything I record into mixcraft. & yes It's the playback that is the problem, not monitoring. And yes I'm using the default soundcard and default settings on Mixcraft which is the Wave Driver
outteh

Post by outteh »

To try and get further through this, we need to know if your microphone is plugged in via USB or directly into your sound card. From what you are describing you have a delay issue somewhere sending the signal from your microphone into Mixcraft when Mixcraft starts recording. Mixcraft is starting to record and going along fine, but the sound is getting there late. Either your USB port or in your on-board sound card might be cuasing the delay. If you are using a USB connection for your microphone, ensure you have nothing else plugged into the USB ports (and I'm also going to assume you are not using a USB adapter or USB hub as these could add to the delay). Do you know if your USB ports are USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 on your computer. USB 1.1 might also cause a delay.
One other test is to set the metronome to be on during recording, arm the track, and start recording some noise or sound in sync with the metronome. Then play it back and see if it is out of sync. :)
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

mr_sightz wrote:I'm using a HP laptop, with a 64-bit & 4gig RAM.
For recoding I have a blue Blue Bird microphone.
& In my preferences I have waveRT selected, but wave does the same thing & ASIO doesn't produce sound. Is there a setting to automatically set vocals 'on beat' or in real time?
WAVE will normally have latency w/ default settings. I basically only use WAVE for mixing down to WAV or MP3.
WAVE RT - run it down to 20 mil & force single cpu to see it that helps.
how is your audio output routing selected w/ ASIO?
latest drivers for your usb mic?

also,do you turn you antivirus,screen saver,windows enhancements,etc. off?
there's a thread & a couple tutorials here called optimize your computer for audio recording. :wink:
kboardrey43

Post by kboardrey43 »

I am having the same problem. Not only that my vocal recording is early but sound is garbled and pitch is transposed.

I don't have any problem if I record for the first time on a brand new track. It records beautifully without problem however if I undo the recording and re-record on the same track, 3 things happen: 1] recording is early; 2] sound is garbled; 3] pitch is transposed to a different key.

My setup as follows: Dell Laptop i7 processor; Pre-Sonus Audiobox 44vsl; Sound device is WaveRt. Please help on how to fix problem. Thanks Rey
kboardrey43

Post by kboardrey43 »

Just additional info to my problem. I am now using the new Mixcraft 9. Older versions of Mixcraft does'nt give me the problem. Don't know what settings or preferences I need to tweak with the New Mixcraft 9 to eliminate this recording problem. Rey
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

kboardrey43 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:05 am I am having the same problem. Not only that my vocal recording is early but sound is garbled and pitch is transposed.

I don't have any problem if I record for the first time on a brand new track. It records beautifully without problem however if I undo the recording and re-record on the same track, 3 things happen: 1] recording is early; 2] sound is garbled; 3] pitch is transposed to a different key.

My setup as follows: Dell Laptop i7 processor; Pre-Sonus Audiobox 44vsl; Sound device is WaveRt. Please help on how to fix problem. Thanks Rey
Hi,

Please read this post: https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24566

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101