Optimize your PC for Mixcraft!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Optimize your PC for Mixcraft!

Post by Acoustica Greg »

If you're having trouble with computer lagging and high CPU use, check out this video:

Optimize Your Computer For Use With Mixcraft

Use this topic to post about any good computer optimization tips you've come across.
gypsy101

Re: Optimize your PC for Mixcraft!

Post by gypsy101 »

I'll post more later but for now-
to lower CPU usage always remember to freeze any non-working tracks. :wink:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Some plugins are really CPU-hungry. For example, the Pultronic Tube EQ effect is like that. Try to notice which plugins are adding a lot of CPU load and then you can freeze those tracks, use the CPU-intensive plugin sparingly, or find alternatives.
outteh

Post by outteh »

If you use an external audio interface disable your on board sound card. If you need to leave your on-board sound card enabled, disable any audio enhancements that it may use such as EQ or Surround Sound emulation.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

outteh

Post by outteh »

Found this little advice sheet on WIn 7 tweaking for best audio performance. Some of the tips are pretty common knowledge but there are some that are a bit more advanced if you want to give them a try.

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/dow ... _Guide.pdf
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

outteh wrote:Found this little advice sheet on WIn 7 tweaking for best audio performance. Some of the tips are pretty common knowledge but there are some that are a bit more advanced if you want to give them a try.

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/dow ... _Guide.pdf
they also have that for XP & Vista. :wink:
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

I just used this on my system. Works perfectly!! Thanks for the link!!

Mike
MX10.5 Pro Studio B 586. Presonus 1818vsl AI, Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64-GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2060, 1 and 2 TB SSD’s + 1 and 2 TB spinner sata’s, cookies and coffee.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Super! Glad it helped - wish we had some more tips especially with audio interface trouibleshooting - that appears to be most folks biggest issue when things go wrong. :)
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

outteh wrote:Super! Glad it helped - wish we had some more tips especially with audio interface trouibleshooting - that appears to be most folks biggest issue when things go wrong. :)
tip o' tha day-don't buy Behringer. :lol:
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

if your DAW computer is hooked to the internet-
turn off ALL automatic updates,especially JAVA & Adobe
run full system anti-virus scans @ least once a week.
also run the same scans w/ the comp in SAFEMODE.

use more than 1 anti-virus program for scans but not @ the same time.
Avast & AVG are both free.
also use something like Regcure or CCleaner to clean/repair your registry often.

one more thing- a lot of malicious junk comes w/ free vst's.be aware of how you download them.
use "save as" or manual download in most cases & check every progress screen to make sure the extra junk boxes are not checked.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

these are certainly all great tips.. but I am not so sure that RegClean etc are anything to write home about. I consider them more malware than anything else.. You install them and then you cant get them out.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Interesting discovery, kind of fits in on this subject.

While working on a large project right at the limits of my resources - In this example 25+ stems on my laptop, no effects inserts or clips, playing smoothly. I added a track to see how it fit in, and it seemed to push me over the limit, and began exhibiting the typical resource overload behavior. But since the track worked I imported it into the project folder and saved the project, and playback went back to as before, playing smooth as could be!

Point is, that at the edge of resource limitations, in this case probably HD r/w speed limitations, Having all the stems in the project folder instead of scattered about on your HD might help get that last little bit of performance out of your system.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

mbliss wrote:Interesting discovery, kind of fits in on this subject.

While working on a large project right at the limits of my resources - In this example 25+ stems on my laptop, no effects inserts or clips, playing smoothly. I added a track to see how it fit in, and it seemed to push me over the limit, and began exhibiting the typical resource overload behavior. But since the track worked I imported it into the project folder and saved the project, and playback went back to as before, playing smooth as could be!

Point is, that at the edge of resource limitations, in this case probably HD r/w speed limitations, Having all the stems in the project folder instead of scattered about on your HD might help get that last little bit of performance out of your system.
never thought of that. I have one tune that is driving me crazy w/ overload @ just one 30 second guitar solo. I was thinking (since it's Shred sim) either do it over w/ my regular rig or drop all the fx,duplicate the track,delete the original,then add the fx back in to see if it's just a quirk in that instance.

I'm not freezing anything on that song again- :roll:
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... =4&t=15077
outteh

Post by outteh »

So the resource issue occurred during track creation, but went away after it was recorded and saved. How did you get through the time you were creating the track?