Guitar Simulators

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bryan6969

Guitar Simulators

Post by bryan6969 »

Can someone recommend a good guitar amp simulation software? Seeing how I am using my computer for drumming and recording, I might as well try to lay my guitar down on the computer as well (besides, big amps can be a pain). The idea of just plug in and play sounds pretty neat.
Gman

Post by Gman »

You want to simulate guitar amps? What are you using for the guitar itself?
bryan6969

Post by bryan6969 »

Gman wrote:You want to simulate guitar amps? What are you using for the guitar itself?
Yes, guitar amps. I'm using a Tele for the guitar. I ran cross Amplitube but don't know much about it.
Verdeboy

Post by Verdeboy »

There is some freeware you can download to simulate guitar amps, but if you have the money, you should buy Virtual Guitarist, which comes with an excellent array of amps. But first make sure that this software supports it.
Eric
Gman

Post by Gman »

Ok, just had to be sure you were not trying to create both guitar and amp virtually.

Not knowing what you want to spend, the best bang for the buck I have found is in hardware; the V-Amps from Behringer-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=480674
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=480732

I have only used (and own) the V-Amp 2. Plug your guitar into it and then the V-Amp into your sound card and you are ready to go. MANY different amp simulations are already pre-programmed and there is a website full of others. I have been very impressed, but then I suppose I impress easily.

There is another Mixcraft user on this forum that has one and uses it for heavy metal. (Bloodsoaked, you out there?)

I also don't know how amp simulation software would work at the same time you are trying to record with Mixcraft. Mixcraft is monitoring your sound card input and recording from there. The amp effects from a software program may never be picked up by Mixcraft, but this is just a guess.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

There is also a pretty cool little thing that is referred to as a Line 6 "pod".
See it here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=150448

From what people tell me, it is pretty awesome and has tons of sounds. It is obviously small and easy to lug around.

I would use something like that before using software guitar simulation.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Wow! The Pod and the V-Amp 2 are so close it is scary. There has to be some common engineering behind the scenes. The controls and settings are almost identical. Just the shape is different.

Hmmm....
bryan6969

Post by bryan6969 »

Thanks guys. I have used Behringer's V-amp Pro (rack mountable version) in the past with good results. I am just trying to go all software based and see what I could come up with.

I used a Line 6 Pod live before and they are great. I was also thinking of trying their Guitar Port as it is aimed for computer/software recording.

I did however try a demo of IK's Amplitube LE which is a plug-in that Mixcraft supports. I must say that it has a pretty convincing Boogie Rectifier sound that is huge. I am trying to find a way to use it "live" to monitor while recording . . .
Gman

Post by Gman »

bryan6969 wrote: I am trying to find a way to use it "live" to monitor while recording . . .
Hope you find something that works for you. Juste a note - All VST plug-ins for Mixcraft are applied post/after recording. You will never be able to hear any effect that Mixcraft uses on the recorded channel live while recording. Hope you find another alternative.
bryan6969

Post by bryan6969 »

Gman wrote:
bryan6969 wrote: I am trying to find a way to use it "live" to monitor while recording . . .
Hope you find something that works for you. Juste a note - All VST plug-ins for Mixcraft are applied post/after recording. You will never be able to hear any effect that Mixcraft uses on the recorded channel live while recording. Hope you find another alternative.
I'm beginning to realize this. However, I did notice on the Amplitube web site that they also have an Amplitude Live which I wonder if it lets you hear what is being recorded. Still looking into that one though.
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Guitar Rig 2 is what I use, very pricy but very versitile.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I will have to vouch for EL34 here, he talked me into trying GR and it actually is a great piece of work. Sounds great, but expensive. But then again, it has almost endless sounds and simulations.

If you do not want to use a real amp, but want pro results for guitar tones, I agree that is the way to go.
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Here's the link to Guitar Rig 2
http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.p ... tarline_us

I noticed that they now have a software only package for $339 which is what I would get.

The Guitar Rig - Rig Kontrol foot controller has a solid state pre amp and pedals to switch presets, wah, volume pedals etc.

I use a Separate tube pre amp and a Behringer FCB1010 midi foot pedal instead of the Rig Kontrol foot pedal.
Billkruse

Re: re

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote:There is also a pretty cool little thing that is referred to as a Line 6 "pod".
See it here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=150448

From what people tell me, it is pretty awesome and has tons of sounds. It is obviously small and easy to lug around.

I would use something like that before using software guitar simulation.
You're already familiar with some of the sounds, Eric, you've been mixing them!

BB
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

EL34 wrote:Guitar Rig 2 is what I use, very pricy but very versitile.
Can you use it with Mixcraft though? Are you using the actual Kontrol unit that comes with GR2? Or just the software somehow?

BB