"Phantom" Sounds loop after pressing "stop" button!?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

youaregreat

"Phantom" Sounds loop after pressing "stop" button!?

Post by youaregreat »

Can anyone explain why after pressing the "stop" button I sometimes hear "phantom" sounds?

Its usually associated with some effects, and maybe some of the virtual Instruments. Sometimes the additional noise is short lived, other times it can last for hours. Another characteristic of this phenomena is that it is sometimes dependent on where in the track you press "stop" (which can be fun to play with).

Secondly, how would one go about capturing or recreating these sometimes beautiful mysterious loops?

Opening two Mixcraft windows maybe? If so, how would you get a clean signal of the 1st window's phantom sounds to the 2nd window? Link the "speaker" jack on my pc to the "line in" jack? Does Mixcraft allow you to record from the "line-in" jack? Would it be harmful to link the microphone jack to the speaker jack?

youaregreat wrote:
Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

If you wanted to capture the audio, you could connect the "line out" on your sound device to the "line in." If you use headphone or speaker out, make sure you have the volume set around 25% or so to avoid blasting your sound card and/or speakers.

A lot of computers these days don't have "line in," especially laptops. A mic input doesn't work well for this type of recording. If you don't have an actual "line in" input, you should use a USB audio interface.

Greg
Figured it out a while ago, and see people are still viewing this post so anyone who wants to record what is coming out of there speakers just needs to turn on their "stereo mix". It's really simple and if my instructions are not adequate for you, then there are plenty tutorials online with pictures and all that jazz, just search "enable stereo mix".

But If you can handle non-visual instruction this is how it is done (on a PC, I'm running Windows 7). Just go to "control panel" then click "sound" and a dialogue box pops up. Select the "recording" tab and all your recording devices pop up (at least all the "enabled" recording devices). If you do not see the "Stereo Mix" device on the list then it is currently disabled. In order to see the disabled recording devices right click on a device or in the field space surrounding your devices and a drop down list appears, select "show disabled devices". "Stereo Mix" is now visible, but not yet enabled. Right Click on "Stereo Mix" and select enable from the drop down list.

Now, go into your DAW (Audacity, Mixcraft, whatever) and Select/"Arm" the "Stereo Mix" device and now you can press record and anything that plays over your speakers is made into an audio clip.

And FYI, In Mixcraft (mx6 anyways) a .wav file is created for every audio clip when you save your project, which you can find in your mixcraft project folder by using "windows explorer"(although if you've renamed or moved your project files in the past the .wav files for our audio clips will be located wherever the original destination folder was, so you might need to figure out where that location is by looking at the names of your project's back ups (which usually reads mixcraft project 40 or some number) So you would go into windows explorer find the mixcraft projects folder, and check in mixcraft project 40's folder. The clip will be named what ever you titled it at its first save. I'm not sure what happens if you rename.

BTW Thanks to all the contributors in this post.
Last edited by youaregreat on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Acoustica Greg

Re: "Phantom" Sounds loop after pressing "stop" button!?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What version and build of Mixcraft are you using? Are you working with virtual instruments or audio? If you turn off the effects, does the problem go away?

If you wanted to capture the audio, you could connect the "line out" on your sound device to the "line in." If you use headphone or speaker out, make sure you have the volume set around 25% or so to avoid blasting your sound card and/or speakers.

A lot of computers these days don't have "line in," especially laptops. A mic input doesn't work well for this type of recording. If you don't have an actual "line in" input, you should use a USB audio interface.

Greg
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

question #1- you mean like a reverb tail? I've never had it last "hours" maybe a second @ most.
you could always trigger an effect like that w/ automation or some volume work w/ a send or 100% wet mix track.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I've had some occasional random noises, kind of mixed glitchy reverb tail things, very brief. Fractions of seconds. Never paid much attention to them. But if you really cranked the reverb and delay with the right settings......
Odd hobby.

Whatever you do, I recommend NEVER hooking up the speaker output to your mic input. The phantom sound you hear might be the last one your sound card makes. Or the feedback loop might last for hours. Don't know. Wouldn't try it unless very bored and planning to replace some parts.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Could this be related to midi release chasing?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
outteh

Post by outteh »

Or stuck midi note? :idea:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yeah, if it's going on forever, that sounds like a stuck MIDI note. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+M would stop it.

Greg
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

No, I think it's an anomaly for sure...

This is a track with Acoustica delay; long repeater preset as the only FX.

I stretched it out to get the 'after effect' as part of the composition.

But if I solo it and play it beyond the actual clip then hit stop (see position of play indicator) the echo still repeats for some time...

Weird, but not unpleasant :D
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
chibear

Post by chibear »

Every so often I do have a stuck MIDI note. It doesn't go on for hours but does go on. It seems to be certain VSTs. When it happens consistently I can usually go in and find there is a MIDI note that overlaps the same note following (make sense). Getting rid of the overlap usually gets rid of the problem.

From what the OP described, I think it happens when I adjust the volume envelope while using some effect (for me usually reverb). Then when I hit stop the volume seems to jump up to the max with the effect applied.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
youaregreat

Post by youaregreat »

What version and build of Mixcraft are you using? Are you working with virtual instruments or audio? If you turn off the effects, does the problem go away?

Greg

version 6.1 build 217
the tails are coming from a midi tracks.

I'm on a desktop so the line-in is available. Thanks for confirming all that jazz. Just tried it out, it works! Although for anyone interested in dong it themselves, its important to open the mixcraft window from which you wish to record first. Then you can open the Second mixcraft window, and voila!
youaregreat

Post by youaregreat »

Yeah, if it's going on forever, that sounds like a stuck MIDI note. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+M would stop it.

Greg
There is another sound I'm not sure about. Might it be a stuck midi note?

This is a single note that plays during the normal playing of a track. As I eluded it is from a MIDI track, the track is looped for whatever that is worth. "The note" will resonate continuously, but it seem to wait until the the MIDI clip is finished. "The Note" is also the first note of the MIDI Clip from which it originates. Currently the sound is working for me so I just control it using the track volume automation.

Ctrl+Alt+M doesn't seem to do anything. Am I suppose to select something first. im begining to think this is not a stuck MIDI note.
youaregreat

Post by youaregreat »

gypsy101 wrote:question #1- you mean like a reverb tail? I've never had it last "hours" maybe a second @ most.
you could always trigger an effect like that w/ automation or some volume work w/ a send or 100% wet mix track.
Yeah the Initially reported "Phantom Sound" is definitely some sort of effect-tail, and, Yes it does sometimes go on for an eternity, though it usually becomes a faint pitter-patter within the first minute(I've walked in hours later and noticed the quietest little squeaks and pops still looping). Very likely you haven't experienced more lengthy effect-tails like mine because you have not loaded your effects list with an obscene number of effects like I have. And as someone else mentioned the % wet mix likely makes a difference.

I'm not sure how one would go about triggering these effect-tails while the track is playing. I have the "track volume" of the send track that is creating the effect-tail turned to zero, I press play, then stop, and the effect tail begins. It seems to be independent of the automation. But if you have any specific ideas on how use automation to recreate the sudden stop that sets off these effect tails I'm all ears. Right now I'm content with simply recording them in a second window.
youaregreat

Post by youaregreat »

chibear wrote:Every so often I do have a stuck MIDI note. It doesn't go on for hours but does go on. It seems to be certain VSTs. When it happens consistently I can usually go in and find there is a MIDI note that overlaps the same note following (make sense). Getting rid of the overlap usually gets rid of the problem.

From what the OP described, I think it happens when I adjust the volume envelope while using some effect (for me usually reverb). Then when I hit stop the volume seems to jump up to the max with the effect applied.
I've noticed the overlap thing too, and I thought that might be the cause of the secondary issue I mentioned just two posts ago; The "other sound I'm not sure about". It was not. But, while fooling around I discovered that the cause for this "sound I'm not sure about" is related to the 1st note of the of the MIDI track starting on the "Loop Start". When I move the start of the 1st note over even the smallest bit, (even tried with snap off), the extra continuous note previously described disappears. Not sure that its all about. Its not related to the effects because I've produced the same sound when no effects are selected. The Virtual Instruments selected does not have anything to do with it either, happens with everyone I try. Must be something about the loop!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

LOL, yeah, the longer running described event does sound like a hung MIDI note. I get that sometimes, certain VSTi's and it seems far more likely when in loop mode.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

mbliss wrote:LOL, yeah, the longer running described event does sound like a hung MIDI note. I get that sometimes, certain VSTi's and it seems far more likely when in loop mode.
I have experienced this as well. I also experience midi drum hits without an actual hit from time to time. We jammed at Eric's party with the midi kit on new year's eve. We joked about a ghost playing the kit! Or using a Jedi mind trick to hit a cymbal from time to time.:lol:
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM