PLAYBACK latency

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

w1av

PLAYBACK latency

Post by w1av »

Hi,

Been a Mixcraft user 6 years now. I have experienced in Mixcraft 6 within the past few months a latency issue but it is on PLAYBACK. I can have tracks full of effects all running like maybe stereo drums tracks, a bass, keyboard.....I can overdub my guitar or vocal....no problem....but when I PLAY THE SONG, my last overdub track (guitar or vocal) is lagging a VERY SMALL amount, but just enough to hear the lag. It only does this on PLAYBACK not while recording. I suppose I could try to record all tracks flat with NO effects. When tracking is done THEN add the effects. I have tried my interface device's (Steinberg UR22) ASIO driver with a bit of improvement. I am also wondering since I use my integrated sound card on motherboard for playback (using computer speakers) in Mixcraft if thats the problem. But even if I use the recording interface with headphones for playback, I still get that lag. And it seems to happen after a FEW tracks have been recorded. Usually the LAST track I do. The drums, bass, keys all line up fine. And, again the lag is on playback. And the amount is a very SMALL lag but just enough to notice it and it is irritating. I have Realtek sound onboard. I am not sure if I can adjust the properties for my internal sound device. I could look into that. Any ideas?????? :evil:
Tiasdad

Re: PLAYBACK latency

Post by Tiasdad »

If you go into your Speaker Properties and then select Enhancements, check the 'Disable All Enhancements' box and see if that improves things :)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
w1av

Post by w1av »

OK I tried a few things. I went to the properties of my recording interface in Control Panel (Winxp Pro). I found the buffers were set to 512. I changed it to 128. Then I went back into the song I had trouble with. I FROZE the 2 drum tracks, the vocal track, bass track and rhythm guitar track. The on the global setting I had 2 things on, which I checked OFF. Then I recorded a NEW lead guitar test track using the ASIO driver. That seemed to solve the problem. I played back the song and reverted back to my soundcard on motherboard for playback....everything in order, no lag. It seems best to use ASIO than WAVE driver. The only thing that sucks is with ASIO you do not get a playback option. Just record. So in order for me to get lag-free tracks I have to take a few extra steps. I guess it's no big deal, but it makes the work a little more time consuming. :D
outteh

Post by outteh »

What do you mean no playback with ASIO? What are you using to record the guitar track?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You should be able to hear playback in ASIO mode if you have headphones connected to your Steinberg UR22.

Greg