Video tutorial?? using multi midi channel virtual instrmnts

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dathyr1

Video tutorial?? using multi midi channel virtual instrmnts

Post by dathyr1 »

Hello,

These are kinda similar but have a 2 part questions on midi control with Mixcraft.

Part 1
I was wondering if there are video tutorials explaining how to setup up a multi midi channel virtual instrument that actually has all the instruments and midi settings residing on one track? How do I get each of the internal virtual instruments on track 1 play out on its selected separate midi channels in Mixcraft 6.

Example: This would be the setup for individual instruments and midi channels internal to the (one) virtual instrument on Track 1
Channel 1 - has a Flute
Channel 2 - has a trumpet
channel 3 - has a Bass
Channel 4 - has a Saxaphone

I looked through the sticky tutorial videos and didnt see anything, or I missed it somewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2
I also have an midi Arp(arpeggio) instrument program that would reside on one Mixcraft track and is basically designed to control external midi instruments by setting up the specific midi output channel.

1. Say I have the Arp instrument setup for midi input 1 on track 1 of Mixcraft to control it
2. Have the Arp itself setup to play the apreggios out on its selected midi channel 2.

Can I redirect the midi information in item 2 to to play a virtual instrument setup in Mixcraft 6 on another track which is also looking for midi channel 2 information to come to it.

There are many special control instruments that do this kind of thing. kinda getting into midi channel direction control. Not sure if current Mixcraft can do this. Just curious.

thanks for any info,

DaveT :)
bbdrmz

Re: Video tutorial?? using multi midi channel virtual instr

Post by bbdrmz »

Part 1:
My question is which vsti are you using to get all of the above mentioned instruments from? Maybe it has an internal mixing section to send each instrument to a respective 'child' channel under the main vst channel in Mixcraft.

Part 2:
I'm not sure about this. What I have done is to take the arp part and mix it down to a new audio track. It then resides as a .wav though so its note value can no longer be manipulated.

Wish I could help more... hopefully a bigger midi geek can enlighten us more.:grin:
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi bbdrmz,

Reply for my part 2: The Arp Virtual instrument does not make sounds on its own, it just sends out midi arpeggio note information to the target midi instrument. I was just trying to see if Mixcraft could send route midi information to other virtual instruments setup on different tracks and that reside on different midi channels???? Wish this Arp was an effect and not an instrument, but thats a different story. <g>

i could probably lay down the arp patterns on track 1 and then move that final track to my target virtual instrument on the other Mixcraft track, but I wouldnt hear anything while recording the Arp patterns and would be kind of a pain knowing if that is what I want.

Reply for my part 1: Yes, I just need to know how to setup and do this process again. A couple of the multi virutal instruments are Edirol, Kontakt, and I think Alchemy(havent used that one for a while). I have done this technique before with Kontakt but forgot how I did it. I think I did it with using the Lanes of Mixcraft 6,not sure. I need to find a post i did a long time ago, i think I explained how I did this process.

Thats why I was wondering if anybody by chance did a video on doing this??

Did a search on my posts - Ah I found my link on doing part 1. Have to copy it down and try it again. But here is how I did multiple instruments located on one track. I Also explained doing automations on them. At least this is one way of doing it.

http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... =4&t=10648

take care,

Dave :)
chibear

Post by chibear »

Hi Dave,

There is no video as of yet. That thread you quoted inspired me to start a thread on that subject here with all kinds of pretty pictures, etc. It covers Sample Tank, Kontakt, and Aria so far. Please feel free to add your insights as we are building a good reference there IMO.

As for part 2, I don't think that's possible in 6 (maybe 7??) because it involves routing the output of one VST through another or something like that. I couldn't find the thread where Greg explains it.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In Mixcraft 6, you can direct MIDI data from a virtual instrument track to an effect, but you cannot have MIDI routed from one virtual instrument to another.

Greg
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Thanks guys. I will use both my thread and chibear's great thread to setup my tracks now.

Have to decide how I want to work with this Arp instrument. Let ya all know what I discover.

take care,

DaveT :)
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

Gotcha. I haven't screwed with much ARP stuff. An idea comes to mind, not sure if it will work... I sometimes add another vsti to the same vst track directly under the first one (in the section where you hit edit to open your vst you should be able to add another). This allows the two different instruments to use the same midi info. Worth a shot?

Also, great thread chibear!
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi bbdrmz,

Nice idea to try and tried it, but all that does is allow us to do is layer vsti plugin sounds. One Plugin does not play the others or be able to wrap around to a 2nd one.

Acoustica needs to add midi bus control sometime in the future like Reaper or FL studio. They have come along way with Mixcraft.

Still playing around with Arp though.

take care,

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

<<<< By no means a MIDI wizard, but I think-

As has been said, there is currently no way to send midi data between VSTi's in Mixcraft, the only workaround I can imagine for now is to create that particular arpeggiated synth sound in an outside program, such as the other DAW you mentioned, then import that sound and work on the rest of the layers in Mixcraft. Perhaps in the future the feature you MIDI geeks desire will be added.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 7 will allow routing of MIDI from one virtual instrument to another.

The other thing you can do currently with Mixcraft 6 is use virtual instruments that include arpeggiators. The Messiah VSTi has one, and so does MinimogueVA. Both are included with Mixcraft.

Greg
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi Greg and all,

I use Kontakt allot and it has many many arpeggiated and sequenced snd libraries which I use. I just purchased this Arp VSTi plugin from Homegrown which was part of a sale deal for all his VST plugins and was just testing to see how well it works.

Plus I have an Arpeggiator Kontakt Script I add to some of my created Kontakt 5 sounds from time to time.

Thanks for your info Greg and everyone else,

dbonin

Post by dbonin »

So I have a multi-channel vst - I load up the vst and assign drums to ch1 and strings to channel 2 within the instrument.

Now I want TWO different tracks to use the same loaded vst:
track 1 = ch1
track 2 = ch2

I can't see any way to do this without loading a second instance of the VST.

I know about the multi-lane thing, but I want to use individual tracks.

Is this possible?
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Far as I know, using the multilanes is the only method for a multi vst at the moment.

There is no MIDI bussing to play out on separate/different tracks as mentioned in the previous replies in this thread.

Greg mentioned Mixcraft 7 will have that feature when it comes out.

If there is anything different in what I have said, anybody chime in,

Dave