total Mixcraft weirdness problem

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gypsy101

Re: total Mixcraft weirdness problem

Post by gypsy101 »

aj113 wrote:
gypsy101 wrote:well every (song) project is it's own folder & named when I start it as a new project before I ever record anything so there' shouldn't be any confusion in files.
It can still happen - if the project folder and audio file folder are not one and the same.

Try moving the project file to the same folder as the audio files, and then open the project by double-clicking the project file. MC should 'find' the correct audio files when you do it this way because the search path always starts with the current folder.
that's just it,they are the same from what I can see.
this thread kind of helps but it was only 2 partial tracks @ random times & there was no "searching for file" screen that opened-
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... =4&t=14445
it seems that freezing & a merged clip are getting confused somewhere.

just to reiterate,this is NOT happening when opening a project,it happened when unfreezing a track that was just partial track (short clip).
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Ok

I don't understand this:
also, I just clicked "open project" in the file tab & B2TB showed up as the currently open file but it's not. SITD is what's currently open in Mixcraft.
When you click "open project" MC shouldn't show up anything, it should just open up a file browser.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

aj113 wrote:Ok

I don't understand this:
also, I just clicked "open project" in the file tab & B2TB showed up as the currently open file but it's not. SITD is what's currently open in Mixcraft.
When you click "open project" MC shouldn't show up anything, it should just open up a file browser.
ok,when you're in Mixcraft & working on a song/project if you click the file tab & select open project it should show the project you're currently working on-

but the time I did it the project folder showed B2TB yet the main screen still showed SITD.
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

Your files somehow got switched. It is always going to be as big of a mystery to us as it is to you... as to the cause of this happening I mean. Go to wherever your "project" files are stored! Mine are in documents<Mixcraft projects. For this Mixcraft will remain closed. Do not open Mixcraft!! Find either of your song's in question in that project file folder. Upon entering your song folder, check each individual wav file to assure they all belong to that project (right click the wav and open) this will use your standard player for audio files, hopefully it recognizes wav files. If you find files that do not belong, cut and paste them to the proper project folder (cut and back space, find the proper song, open, paste). Do the same for both songs in question. After that open Mixcraft... when you open Mixcraft there's a start up, or pop up asking which song you want to open. Do not use recent projects! Open your project from the same location as the folders you fixed, or didn't respectively. If it opens with all files in tact, make sure to re 'save as', pick the common project file, as it is the most recent saved version. It'll ask if you're sure, yes you're sure... if in fact all the correct files are there (if the project contains other song files that dont belong just delete them..this doesn't delete them from your computer, just out of the project). 'Save as' - This will then remember it as your last saved version and can be opened as 'most recent'. Note, I've watched this thread and know this has all been said, maybe different wording. But, hopefully you know by now that no one knows why this has happened. Nor will we ever know. Weird shit happens sometimes. More importantly is that you identify where your files are and get them back to their respective home folder. Hope this helps you.

p.s. if none of this works for you...
Go the same route
C:drive < documents < Mixcraft projects < your song...or where ever you store yours.. There should be a backup folder for each project. Within the backup folder will be your 'save history'. Go thru them by the date you feel is closest to when your problem started. This may not help if you never saved after recording something and experienced a crash. If that were the case whatever you recorded is probably lost.
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

bbdrmz wrote:Your files somehow got switched.
No wait! I am Captain Obvious! :lol:

Interesting and useful tips, but I fear Gypsy is a couple steps ahead and discovering whatever happened, he has lost some of his work, and is seeking a way to prevent it from happening again.
Well, as pointed out we may very well never know. But it is interesting.

Gypsy, for the record, my previous reply wasn't intended to imply anything about your file system or methods, just sympathetic frustration and expressing interest in the situation.

But while we are on the subject, and with no desire to hijack the thread:
I am not fond of the way the "recent project" function works in the opening pop-up window. Too little control and transparency. One thing that continually bugs me is that there are multiple versions of the same project name scattered there in the list sometimes, when it really should only save the most recent version to the list. As it stands now, I would personally prefer that it wasn't there, and I could just click an icon to open my projects folder.
Filing protocols are one of those areas where brutally simple is the best solution IMO.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

+1 to bbdrmz and Mark - this is what I was trying to recommend earlier (not very good at expressing myself) :lol:
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

mbliss wrote:
bbdrmz wrote:Your files somehow got switched.
No wait! I am Captain Obvious! :lol:

Interesting and useful tips, but I fear Gypsy is a couple steps ahead and discovering whatever happened, he has lost some of his work, and is seeking a way to prevent it from happening again.
Well, as pointed out we may very well never know. But it is interesting.
pretty much
Gypsy, for the record, my previous reply wasn't intended to imply anything about your file system or methods, just sympathetic frustration and expressing interest in the situation.
don't worry, I gotcha

But while we are on the subject, and with no desire to hijack the thread:
I am not fond of the way the "recent project" function works in the opening pop-up window. Too little control and transparency. One thing that continually bugs me is that there are multiple versions of the same project name scattered there in the list sometimes, when it really should only save the most recent version to the list. As it stands now, I would personally prefer that it wasn't there, and I could just click an icon to open my projects folder.

Filing protocols are one of those areas where brutally simple is the best solution IMO.
ain't that the truth. :wink:

just for the record, I "save" after each & every adjustment,just in case. I've been through 3 computers/HD's/etc. since Mixcraft 6 came out. :roll:

I'm just still trying to figure out why unfreezing a partial track would (in the first case) import a full track(calling it a merged track) of a different insturment,down-tune it,& slow it down, and in the 2nd case, all of the above but that time it also reversed it- a cymbal crash. :shock:

I've opened projects from the small pane & "open recent projects" forever & never had a problem but I won't be doing that now.

in other news- I'm just going to reinstall Mixcraft 6 using I have a boxed version & call it even before working on any other projects.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Why not do the download from Mixcraft? Latest and greatest. Also has Mixcraft come back with any analysis of the log file?
aj113

Post by aj113 »

gypsy101 wrote:
aj113 wrote:....ok,when you're in Mixcraft & working on a song/project if you click the file tab & select open project it should show the project you're currently working on...
No, it opens the folder that you last browsed to in order to load a project from within MC.

If you open a project from the "recent projects" option on the menu, or by double-clicking a project file MC will not 'remember' the folder in which that project is stored when you click file/open project.

I think this is just a red herring that is not associated with your freeze problem.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

You are working on two songs, right? Is there any possibility that you selected 'save as' and then - in error - overwrote the wrong project? Did you have both projects open simultaneously?
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

aj113 wrote:You are working on two songs, right? Is there any possibility that you selected 'save as' and then - in error - overwrote the wrong project? Did you have both projects open simultaneously?
no,& you're just confusing things aj. but thanks anyway.
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

Maybe you figured it out already. If so this will meaningless...but here it goes. I recently, in wanting to keep files straight within the project folder, re named a couple tracks (while a project was open). This reminded me of your situation. When I re opened the project a bunch of files were gone. Stoner moment? Flashbacks? Not sure why I figured that would be OK. Anyway the part that confused me is upon opening the project there were two different files from different songs. I'm sure it had to do with the search function, or I browsed to find the missing track and picked the wrong one. It probably had the same name file, different song.? I tend to name tracks bass, Gtr, etc..in every project.
Another strange happening. I pitch transposed a vocal track (melodyne). While searching for the missing files (same project as above) I happened to pull up what I found out later to be an organ part. The strange part is that while the organ part was on the track that melodyne was on, it played back as the transposed vocal line.
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
outteh

Post by outteh »

Now we are really getting spooky! Must be the Mixcraft gremlins running out of things to do these days. :)
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

I then mix it to a new audio track. It was mostly vocal with a flash of organ here and there. :???:
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

bbdrmz wrote:Anyway the part that confused me is upon opening the project there were two different files from different songs. I'm sure it had to do with the search function, or I browsed to find the missing track and picked the wrong one. It probably had the same name file, different song.? I tend to name tracks bass, Gtr, etc..in every project.
the problem is,is I didn't use the search function
Another strange happening. I pitch transposed a vocal track (melodyne). While searching for the missing files (same project as above) I happened to pull up what I found out later to be an organ part. The strange part is that while the organ part was on the track that melodyne was on, it played back as the transposed vocal line.
THIS. :wink:

but what gets me is I tend to label my tracks when I set them up,
JMP-1 LP Rythym GTR.
hi harm. vocals
bass,etc.etc.
there's no way that a file like bass should be confused for backing lead GTR.

and just for g.p. I got the flu & I'm miserable but opening a recent project from the pop-up intro screen is there for a reason,just like the desktop icon shortcut. :wink: