Bug

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aj113

Bug

Post by aj113 »

MC has had this bug for years. I have always just lived with it but I thought I'd give it a mention. You never know....

When I am editing audio clips, I usually zoom in full to the front of the clip, highlight a very small section, and select a fast fade-in. Sometimes the first node on the left remains in the normal 100% position instead of shifting down to the bottom of the clip to start the fade. This of course completely negates the effect of the fade, and it gets quite tiresome knowing that I have to check each individual fade to make sure that it was implemented correctly.

I do a similar thing at the end of the fade, selecting slow fade out, and the same bug occurs occasionally.

I resolve the error by dragging the errant node down to the bottom of the clip, but it would be great if this bug were to be fixed at some point in the future.

While we're at it, a new feature where all selected clips could automatically receive these small fades at the front and back would save me literally hours for every project. I do hundreds of these in every project. (BTW as far as I know, no DAW has this feature, you guys at Acoustica would steal a huge march on other DAW developers if you added the feature, I can assure you that there are thousands of people who edit in this way, and like me, they have to do each fade manually.)
Acoustica Greg

Re: Bug

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

This is with snap off? How small a selection? Can you help us reproduce the problem in Mixcraft 6.1 build 217?

Greg
outteh

Post by outteh »

I,ll give an example for end track fade out. If you don,t highlight the track past the end of the track, it will leave a node at the end. It,s difficult to catch the front of the track sometimes and this also leaves a node not faded.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That wouldn't really be a bug, but it leaves the question of how to do this when you've got clips butted up against one another. So the feature suggestion might be nice.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

One trick you could do with two clips on the same track would be to overlap them slightly for an automatic crossfade.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

This is with snap off? How small a selection? Can you help us reproduce the problem in Mixcraft 6.1 build 217?

Greg
Yes, it's with snap off. Admittedly the selection is very small, and MC is zoomed full in, so I guess that is at the root of the problem.

How can I help you?
aj113

Post by aj113 »

outteh wrote:I,ll give an example for end track fade out. If you don,t highlight the track past the end of the track, it will leave a node at the end. It,s difficult to catch the front of the track sometimes and this also leaves a node not faded.
I don't understand how it's difficult. I think it's more difficult NOT to catch the front. Regardless, I always start my selection well before the front.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:One trick you could do with two clips on the same track would be to overlap them slightly for an automatic crossfade.
Wherever possible, this is exactly what I do, but when you're editing specifically to cut out crap in between the parts you want to keep (a human noise gate basically) it's not a viable proposition.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I tried it a few times and the only way I could get it to happen was by slightly missing the front of the clip. I haven't seen any cases where it happened if I overcompensated with the selection.

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

OK, as I said it only happens occasionally, so what is the best way I can help you?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try to notice if there is a pattern so you can tell us how to duplicate it. Roughly how long are your selections? I was doing some that were around 10 milliseconds. If you hold down the Ctrl key and use the arrow key, a clip will jump in 20 millisecond increments. If you hold down the Shift and Ctrl, it will move in 1 millisecond increments. That could give you an idea of measurement.

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Yes, about 10 milliseconds is correct. I have checked previously for patterns but it seems to be random. I'll check even closer next time.

At least it looks like we may have uncovered a default optimal length of fade for the new feature. :)
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

Cross fades for tracks that butt up against each other and master mix fades for all tracks at once. How is any program going to read your mind as to where you'd like your fade positioned? They're not. I suspect the function you refer to as to fades is a "dummy" function. In other words an introduction to how fades work. I think I remember trying it, but have never used it because I want specific fades from points I set.
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

speaking of auto crossfade,how to turn it off?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

gypsy101 wrote:speaking of auto crossfade,how to turn it off?
There's no option to turn it off. What you can do instead is put the clips on different tracks.