VSTi + Mixcraft in the future?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

VSTi + Mixcraft in the future?

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I've been using acoustica products for years now.. First the Audio-mixer and now Mixcraft, and I can't tell you how great it is to be able to record and mix so easy and so fast without all the bullshit that many more expensive products have. :D Thank you very much Acoustica.

But....I now face a dilemma .. a big dilemma. I'm thinking about getting a midi keyboard and messing about with vst-instruments. Basicly adding more instruments to my music without learning to play the violin or whatever other instrument my songs might need.

Mixcraft doesn't have vsti support :shock: ... I'm going to have too learn how to use some other expensive software like Cubase or Cakewalk or whatever :( And I'm not ready to leave Mixcraft behind.

Help...
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

The post above is mine .. I forgot to log in.

*Additonal*

I know buying a more pro software is going to mess up my whole recording experience.. it's going to take longer, and it's not going to be as fun as it was with Mixcraft. I don't need all the features that Cubase has ... I just need Mixcraft + VSTi.
Gman

Post by Gman »

My 2 cents-

My keyboards have midi, but I don't use their midi function. I record everything out of them in analog into Mixcraft. I'm not sure why you want to use the midi sounds as they are so artificial sounding and limiting. I suppose if that kind of music is your genre, then midi has a use.

Are you mistaken into thinking that the strings and other sounds has to be midi? You can record strings, bass, horns, etc. with the keyboard without using midi.

And you are right, Mixcraft does not support VST instruments and I have no words of wisdom for you other than the dozens of instruments any keyboard will give you makes VST instruments somewhat repetative.

Again, just my 2 cents-
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Hey man :D If I had 2 cents for every time someone said that to me I'd have...well.. 2 cents. :wink:

I actually didn't consider buyin a "real" keyboard..
I figured they'd be more epensive and that I would have more instruments and flexibility with vsti's and just a midi controller.

i'm willing to be persuaded if you know of a keyboard that you think would be better.
I was thinking of spending around 150 USD for this -> (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/K ... -main.html)
Gman

Post by Gman »

I don't have what I would consider a "real" keyboard either, but it is amazing how good an inexpensive Casio sounds. If you want to give a listen here-

http://www.nieting.org/music/index.htm

All of the drum lines were done with an inexpensive Casio CTK-600 series. I see them on Ebay for less than $100. The strings on-

http://www.nieting.org/music/island.mp3
and
http://www.nieting.org/music/miamir.mp3

were also done with the same Casio as well as the drums. Many of my bass lines were from the same keyboard.

I'm not trying to hard sell you on going this keyboard route as it needs to be your decision, but I tried to work with midi and was very disappointed. But, even though I don't really play keyboards, I have been nothing but delighted with the results I have acheived with the Casio keyboards.

One last point. I'm hoping you are aware it is the midi software driver in your computer that gives you the sound, not the device connected to the computer. Midi is just a digital "call" to the software on your computer.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

One last point. I'm hoping you are aware it is the midi software driver in your computer that gives you the sound, not the device connected to the computer. Midi is just a digital "call" to the software on your computer.
Of course... but thanks for checking ;)

I listened to your songs... and we once had a keyboard that made that sound, it didn't really do it for me..

I think I'm going to buy the midi keyboard... I have a friend that does alot of composing with vsti's, and his instruments sound great.
Thanks for your input ;)

To conclude : Man I wish Mixcraft could pull of vsti's ... "AcousticaGreg" are you reading this?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

VST instrument support is slated for Mixcraft 4, as is MIDI support, so we're probably looking at next year for that. We've just started on Mixcraft 3.0, which will have ASIO support and beat-matching.

Greg
EL34

Post by EL34 »

ASIO, nice!
I need that for Guitar Rig, amp emulating software I use sometimes.
admin
Site Admin

Don't forget multi-track recording!

Post by admin »

Mixcraft 3.0 will also have multi-track recording, among many other enhancements...including a full re-write of the GUI...It'll be worth the wait! :)

-Joseph
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Sounds great. Looks like i'm going to have to wait a year to get into vsti's then .. but it's better than switching software :D
jpt

Post by jpt »

Dang, I was considering Jamstix, which required VSTi. Any word on when Mixcraft 4 is coming out?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We haven't even finished Mixcraft 3 yet! There's no estimated release date for Mixcraft 4 at this point. Maybe late this year or early next year? I'm just guessing. It won't be within the next few months, that's for sure.

Greg
planxty

Mix craft and vst synth programs

Post by planxty »

I recently purchased a new computer, but before that I was using mixcraft, my really old out dated soundblaster sound card, my euro rack ub802, my brothers ensonic (synth with midi) and a couple of synth emulaters ie Arturia. and all I did was switch cables around and I was able to record "Live" I tried doing it with the new computer and new mixcraft to no avail! It is kinda bumming me out with all the money I have spent. I am possibly thinking about buying a better sound card, I am looking at the m-audio delta 1010lt. Would that make a diffrence? I really have no intrest in midi sequencing I want to record LIVE. Can you guys help?
thank you
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

You are like me, I have no use for midi (that I know of yet)(sorry Dan), And I have the Delta M-Audio 1010LT installed on my main studio computer. It allows you to record multiple racks at once with Mixcraft without all that other hardware. It's an awesome sound card!
Connect 8 mic cables to it and there are two other inputs, SPDIF and something else (don't use it myself). I recorded these tracks live at band practice one night using this exact system http://www.bottomfeeders.servebeer.com/ ... /music.php
Scroll down to the cover song section and look for anything with 2007 next to it.

Since I have the same card and software, I can also be of help to you once you get the card installed.
planxty

Mix craft and vst synth programs

Post by planxty »

I'm a bit confused. I want to play vst instruments(arturia minimoog v) Live and record them using mixcraft. How Do i do that?