Mixcraft and Saffire pro 40 - Newbie question

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

markgett

Mixcraft and Saffire pro 40 - Newbie question

Post by markgett »

Hi everyone-

I'll ask for your indulgence and understanding first as home recording is fairly new to me - I've got mountains to learn and am not afraid to ask even the most basic questions. Once upon a time, you more experienced folks started where I am now and I'm hoping to catch up to you and tap your knowledge.

I have a Sweetwater Creation Station 250 paired with a Saffire pro 40 interface and am running Mixcraft Pro Studio 6. Currently, the inputs are being used like this:

Input 1 - Vocal mic (Sterling ST55) XLR
Input 2 - Instrument (Sennheiser 602 guitar amp) mic XLR
Input 3 - Left channel signal from POD XT Live 1/4"
Input 4 - Right channel signal from POD XT Live 1/4"
Input 5 - Left channel signal from Roland Vdrums 1/4"
Input6 - Right channel signal from Roland Vdrums 1/4"
Input 7 - Open
Input 8 - Open

When I fire up Mixcraft and assign an input to a track, I get options that I don't expect. Instead of being able to assign the vocal mic input (Input 1) to a specific track, the options come up like this (Please note - I'm not going to type the funky way the inputs appear for clarity purposes):

Saffire IP1/Saffire IP2 - Stereo/Left/Right

Saffire IP3/Saffire IP4 - Stereo/Left/Right

Saffire IP5/Saffire IP6 - Stereo/Left/Right

Saffire IP7/Saffire IP8 - Stereo/Left/Right

It seems that Mixcraft wants to assign two inputs to one track and doesn't give me the option to do otherwise (say assign only Input 1 to the track). So it's probably something REALLY basic and REALLY obvious, but this newbie doesn't see it or understand it (yet). Am I asking for a crash course in Audio 101? No heckling please - I'm too old for that... :)

I know I have some other questions but I'd like to get this one addressed first. Thanks all - I am truly grateful for your time, knowledge and assistance.

Mark
Vibrant Audio

Re: Mixcraft and Saffire pro 40 - Newbie question

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Mixcraft and the Forum! :) You're right - it's fairly simple and straightforward. Mixcraft is correctly revealing the channels that the Saffire is showing.

Here's how it will break down for you:
For track 1 (your vocal mic), you choose "Left" from the "Saffire IP1/Saffire IP2 - Stereo/Left/Right" in Mixcraft.
For track 2 (your guitar amp), you choose "Right" from the "Saffire IP1/Saffire IP2 - Stereo/Left/Right" in Mixcraft.
For track 3 (your POD XT left signal), you choose "Left" from the "Saffire IP3/Saffire IP4 - Stereo/Left/Right" in Mixcraft.
For track 4 (your POD XT right signal), you choose "Right" from the "Saffire IP3/Saffire IP4 - Stereo/Left/Right" in Mixcraft.
etc. etc...

And actually, you could choose stereo for the POD XT channels and record stereo to one channel in Mixcraft.

Hope that helps!
*Vibrant Audio*
markgett

Post by markgett »

Good God - could I feel any dumber? Thank you ever so much for your help with this!

So if I set the Vocal mic as "left," does that mean I'll only be getting vocals in the left channel/ear? And if so, how would I balance that - by duplicating the track and setting the new track to "right?"

I know more questions will surface and I'm grateful for being able to ask these questions in a friendly environment. Love using Mixcraft - it is so versatile, easy to understand and intuitive. Thanks again! 8)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hello Mark, and welcome!

Using your example, when you select "left", you are setting the input end of the virtual channel strip. Within the channel it is still routed to both sides of the output, though it is still mono.

Make sense?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Guitars and microphones generally only provide a mono signal. By selecting "left" or "right," you'll be recording a centered mono signal that can be panned left or right in your stereo mix.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah! Something like that! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
markgett

Post by markgett »

You guys are so freakin' awesome. Thanks for being so cool and for the hand-holding - I think I'm getting this now! :)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

No sweat! Make some noise and let us know how its going!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
markgett

Post by markgett »

Do any of you know whether inputs can be saved to a "template" file? I'm thinking of when Mixcraft is started up - can the tracks default to inputs or do inputs need to be assigned every time I open the program?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Sorry for the delay!

You can save project templates. Simply create a blank project set up as you desire and save it as a template. "File/save as" and scroll to "template".
Template.jpg
Template.jpg (24.66 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Also there's a mini tip in the "tips and tricks" forum, I think its currently about the 6th one down on the second page of this thread:
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 12&t=14573
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
markgett

Post by markgett »

Wow - thank you SO MUCH! Uber-helpful and the link to the tips shows things I NEVER would have thought of (Master Track fade???!! - AWESOME!)

Thanks again! 8)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Always glad to help.

Just a reminder, there's a lot more info in other threads in the tips and tricks section, and don't overlook the tutorials and videos found in the sticky thread near the top of this page.

And be sure to share something with us in the user showcase area too!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page