multitracking without adding earlier tracks

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

hepphepp

multitracking without adding earlier tracks

Post by hepphepp »

hi.
I have done a drumtrack and want to record guitar. I chose Record Sound, check the Overdub box, source: line in.
soundcard: Emu 10kx audio[c400]. the other available option is: "default wave device"
All is well, except the underlying drumtrack is recorded into the new guitar track.

I use:
line in recording with a mixing board.
Under preferences: I have these to choices:
Playback device: default wave device / Emu 10kx audio[c400]
Recording source: same as above.
I have tried both these settings.

What shall I do?
thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It sounds like you need to wear headphones, possibly.
Or, if your sound card's output is going into your mixer, as well...you'll need to take the sound card's ouput and not let it go back to the sound card... in this way you can monitor it, but it won't be re-recorded.

Also, try the new Mixcraft 3 http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/
hepphepp

Post by hepphepp »

yeah, my soundcard's line out goes to the mixer through 2tr in, and I listen to headphones through the mixer. well, my goal is to hear both the mixcraft backingtrack (drums) plus the guitar I'm playing/recording through one headset.
do I have to listen to headset directly from the pc and not through the mixer ?
btw, the leakage from the first track is not caused by open headset.

I have the newest mixcraft.
EL34

Post by EL34 »

You just have to figure out on your mixer how to listen to both tracks at the same time but only be recording the guitar.

Sounds like the playback mix has the drums and guitar at the same time?

I actually do this with two sound cards.

Sound card one plays back the mixcraft mix through speakers.
I record the wav output from soundcard number two. This is wav output from Guitar Rig, a guitar emulation software.

When I record vocals I use headphones.
I need to hear the mix in one ear and what I am singing in the other ear.
I just made a special cord so that I can listen to two sources through one set of headphones.

I have the playback mix in my right ear and my live vocals in my left ear while I record.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What kind of sound card do you have? The Emu 10kx is a chip used in different sound cards, particularly SoundBlasters. It sounds like your drivers are not installed properly. If you've got a Creative Audigy or SoundBlaster, check with Creative to see if there are updated drivers for the version of Windows you are using. Rather than seeing EMU as a sound driver choice, you should have some kind of SoundBlaster choice, like "SB Audigy" or "SB Live."

You may have to uninstall your current sound drivers and then install the proper ones. In some cases a manual uninstall is necessary.

When it's working properly, the Line In source would then just play back the Line In audio, not a mix of the general wave playback and Line In.

Greg