MC3 Feature request, file management

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rille

MC3 Feature request, file management

Post by rille »

My default Project Recording Folder has quickly been filled with files whose names does not say anything, e.g. "Track 1 (Track) (12).wav".

Perhaps the following ideas could be useful to implement, either one or in a combination. They are not so well considered, just some quick thoughts.

a) Whenever a new project is created, ask for its name and associated folder for recordings and saves. Suggest a subfolder with the same name as the project gets.

b) Whenever a project is saved, create a subfolder in a MixCraft file folder, using the name of the project.

c) Change from default track names "1 Track", "2 Track..." and file namse "Track 1 (track) 12" to tracks "T001", "T002..." and names "T001R012". (The latter Track 1, Recording 12). This file name format makes it easier to browse a file directory. In case the tracks are named, replace the "T" with the track┤s name.

d) When audio is imported, ask if the audios (file/tag) name should be used as a track name, e.g. by suggesting that and let the user modify or just OK.

e) Offer the option to ask for a file/recording name whenever a recording session stops. Suggest defaults as in c above.

Comments?
EL34

Post by EL34 »

This must be mixcraft 2.xx cause Mixcraft 3 is able to save in a project folder that you name when you start a project.

Mixcraft 2.xx Tip: If you name a track before you record on that track, mixcraft will use that name as part of the file name. If you have a track called Bass1, the files names will use Bass1 as part of the file name.

It does not makes sense to have a catch all project folder. That will end up one big tangled-intertwined mess.

Create a new folder for every new project and then change the folder location in the preferences before you start recording. It's the only way to do it in mixcraft 2.xx

All Mixcraft's need a file utility to move projects and only take the files that were used in that project, leaving behind non used takes.
You can then delete the junk and regain disk space. You could also move projects to other disk drives and the file locations would not be broken.

I have ranted about this for a long time.
rille

Post by rille »

Nope, it is MC3. Yes I know project folder can be changed. But easy to forget. That is why I suggest some useful reordering of events (name when things happen, not afterwards). And if files has to be moved, better naming conventions would improve that process...
EL34

Post by EL34 »

By the way, Mixcraft 3 supposedly does not keep unused tracks but I just finshed a project using Mixcraft 3 and there are lots more files in the project folder than are being used in the project.

There are about 30 sound files being used in my project but there's over 60 files in the project folder.

If I use a sound file now and then replace it later, how does Mixcraft 3 know that the first file is no longer being used?

I often do takes as placeholders and then come back later to do a serious take. This leaves tons of unused soundfiles on my hard drive.

One more vote here for a file moving feature
EL34

Post by EL34 »

I hear ya, but it's way easier now to name a project folder in M3 than it used to be.

I am not finding it hard to remember to name a folder before I start in M3.
Offer the option to ask for a file/recording name whenever a recording session stops
I liked this feature in M2 but Acoustica removed it in M3.
admin
Site Admin

Moving / Transferring File Feature In!

Post by admin »

It's currently in build 20 available on the beta site:
http://beta.acoustica.com/

but, by the time most people read this, it will be released on the main site http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/[/url]
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Yikes, downloading and testing it right now!!!!!!!
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Houston, we have a problem.

I moved the project that I was talking about in the post above to a brand new clean folder.

The original folder had 54 files in it at 564 Mb.
The new folder has 119 files and it is 1.34 GB, that's Gigabytes!!!

Look at my screen shot. It took my one drum track that is 55,987Kb and made 4 copies of the same drum track, all at 55,987 KB

It also did this with all the other tracks and now the new folder is full of duplicate tracks with slightly different file names.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Is that after running the Transfer command once on an empty folder? If you run it more than once, it will create duplicate files.

The first time I tried it on a folder I got just one set of sound files, the second time I tried it, it added a set of duplicate sound files, and so on.

What are the time stamps on the .mx3 files?

Greg
EL34

Post by EL34 »

I only did it once, here's what I did.

I started M3 build 20.
I went into the file menu and chose transfer.
It asked for a new folder name which I created from scratch. The new folder was completely empy and new.
I did the transfer and then looked inside the new folder.

The screen shot above shows the time stamps on the new folder for just one of the many files that were duplicated but named different file names.

I submitted a bug report and told them to look at this post so they can see my screen shot.

Tell Dan or whoever to take a look at this post.
Thanks Greg.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The screenshot shows the wav files, but not the mx3 files. However, since you only did it once, the Mx3 files should all have the same time stamp.

I'm not seeing that behavior here, so we must be some other factor involved.

Thanks for filing a beta bug report!

Greg
EL34

Post by EL34 »

I just did a transfer test on another project with the same results.
It looks like M3 is leaving behind unsed files no problem.
The problem looks to be when a tracks is split, M3 thinks it's a new file???

More testing needed, I have time today to do play with it some more.

both project folders file numbers and sizes

EL34

Post by EL34 »

Greg,
I keep my project .mx3 files in a Mixcraft projects project folder, not in the folder that has all the sound files so it did not show in my screen shot.

The transferred project screen show shows a newly created .mx3 file.
M3 creates a new .mx3 file and puts it in the transferred new project folder.

That one is showing on my screen shot above.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, I duplicated the problem.... by duplicating sounds. If you use the same sound more than once in the project, it's getting transferred more than once. The first project I tried didn't have any duplicates.

Great bug find!

That's why build 20 was on the beta page. :D

Greg
EL34

Post by EL34 »

I was able to duplicate the problem on a fresh project with only one sound.
If you do not split a file, everything works great.
If you split a sound you get multiple files.

Test 1
Create a project in a new folder.
add a .wav file to that folder and to the project.
transfer the project.
result:
Everything is perfect, a new folder with one .wav file and one .mx3 file is copied

Test2
Go back to the project above and split the .wav file into two pieces
transfer the project.
result:
two .wav files are copied, not one.
one .mx3 file is copied

I am going to go test your findings also.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I just went back into my test project and split the wav file 3 times.
Results:
3 wav files copied.

Every split results in another wav file being created.
Last edited by EL34 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.