"free" vsti download nightmare....

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

midimoose

"free" vsti download nightmare....

Post by midimoose »

OK, I've heard there are some good free virtual instrument downloads out there, and I've twice tried to download them with no luck. I'm specifically looking for another sax to augment the pretty darn good ones that came with MC6. The first was from a company called DVS, and the second from vst4free.com. My computer skills are pretty marginal, but all I got both times were a bunch of unwanted, funky programs insinuated onto my hard drive.....and no sax. Maybe I'd better leave well enough alone and work with what I've got. Any advice? Many thanks, Rick.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time." Albert Einstein
outteh

Re: "free" vsti download nightmare....

Post by outteh »

Yep, you have to watch where you get the freebies from. Usually there is a "hidden" option that let's you select to not load all the unwanted stuff. Bedroom Producers and some others are somewhat reliable. But any site that redirects you to another location for download is risky. Maybe some of the sampler/keyboard folks can chime in for finding some free horn downloads? Mixcraft's horns are fairly good with a little EQ and some analog color. :D
midimoose

Post by midimoose »

Thanks again Tom-- Think I'll stick to the Mixcraft horns for now, like I said, they are good. Now all I have to do is get all the junk programs off my computer..again. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Or a free sax. Back to the drawing board. Rick.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I suspect it's because you are clicking on the big green 'Download' arrows, that tend to be deceptively associated with software that's advertised on the download site. The true download links tend to be the smaller, more inconspicuous ones.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

KVRAudio.com is generally pretty good about steering you to the download page of the maker of the plugin.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Ianpb wrote:I suspect it's because you are clicking on the big green 'Download' arrows, that tend to be deceptively associated with software that's advertised on the download site. The true download links tend to be the smaller, more inconspicuous ones.
Yep. As soon as I see the "big green arrow", its CLICK! I'm gone. Cant trust a site that uses those tactics.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

also watch carefully when installing the program - don't automatically hit 'next'

A lot include installing 'recommended' extras which you have the option to opt out of.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
midimoose

Post by midimoose »

Thanks to all for the info. I've learned my lesson the hard way, seems I got some nasty viruses in that download process. Lost my internet connection in the process, so I'm using an ancient Apple backup to send this.... Will get my computer back tomorrow. Free ain't free!
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

midimoose wrote: Free ain't free!
It can be if you know what you're doing, and there's plenty of good free stuff available. Just don't ever click on those big green 'Download' arrows, and make sure you've got your firewall and antivirus active.

Here's one site that doesn't use deception:
http://www.vstwarehouse.com/
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Here's a little tip I picked up from somewhere:

99 times out of 100, if you attempt to click and drag on the download button and the button moves (while showing the circle-with-line 'no' symbol), then it's not the real download button. If it doesn't move, then more likely than not it's the real deal.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Anorax wrote:Here's a little tip I picked up from somewhere:

99 times out of 100, if you attempt to click and drag on the download button and the button moves (while showing the circle-with-line 'no' symbol), then it's not the real download button. If it doesn't move, then more likely than not it's the real deal.
Of course, if you follow that rule, you might not download Mixcraft. :wink:
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

This mostly refers to download sites with download-here-now advertisements.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Anorax wrote:This mostly refers to download sites with download-here-now advertisements.
Yes, the other danger sign would be multiple brightly colored, but ambiguous download buttons on the same page.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Completely agree with everybody's comments about being vigilant.

On a practical note here is a direct link to the DVS Sax vst which is IMHO quite good and one of the vstis that you mentioned. http://www.vst4free.com/get_plugin.php? ... ophone.zip

Once downloaded just open the zip and put the .dll file in your vst folder. the only other file in the zip is a pdf with the instructions.

Also take some time reading some of the posts on this other Acoustica forum dedicated to Plugins http://demon.acoustica.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=14

Good luck.

CHeers

John
mick

Post by mick »

Just found this: It's an example of automated cheats that lead you to ... the big green arrow! :lol:
mz7.PNG
mz7.PNG (154.3 KiB) Viewed 6142 times