Interface Selection

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

slh2536

Interface Selection

Post by slh2536 »

I'm looking for a inexpensive Interface that will plug into my USB to get my latency down to real time. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Bucktail

Re: Interface Selection

Post by Bucktail »

I use a Presonus AudioBox USB. Very durable unit that works well to fill my need with this little hobby of recording music with Mixcraft.

https://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-USB
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you try WaveRT in exclusive mode? Is that option available to you?

You should note that if you buy an audio interface, you'll also need a new microphone, because you won't be able to plug your USB microphone into the audio interface. Unless there's an audio interface that supports that. I'm not aware of any.

Greg
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

also have to plug Focusrite scarlett 2i2

Renowned for great pre amps and latency free monitoring through the cans.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
SlimGotDatFie256

Post by SlimGotDatFie256 »

trevlyns wrote:also have to plug Focusrite scarlett 2i2

Renowned for great pre amps and latency free monitoring through the cans.
I was just about to post a thread like this. My question is which would be a better buy? The Focusrite Scarlet or the M-Audio MidiSport 2x2. Any advice would be appreciated. Also it may answer the original question in this thread.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Best advice is to review the specifications for each, see which one offers the best performance. Other features to look for is separate audio channel outputs so you can switch between different speakers or setups to compare sounds, separate headphone volume adjustment, at least up to 48 kHz and 24 bit recording capability, number of microphone and instrument inputs, depending on your need. Be careful on the latency specifications, check out the support and current audio driver support and see if they say it is compatible for Windows 8, which would indicate they keep up with audio driver support. :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Its really hard to give advise on this subject. Everyone's needs, budgets and desires vary. The market is fluid, and no one person can really have experience in the many options. Point is, you really need to do your homework before choosing.

Also, As Greg as attempted to point out, there are also other options, depending on your specific needs and existing rig. I have lost track of the multiple threads, was the OP using a USB adapter or a dedicated USB mic? One thing that hasn't been fully discussed, if you only need a mic, and only need one channel.
I have used a USB mic that has on board output that is capable of very low latency monitoring.

As for audio interfaces, personally I have had good experience with an economy Tascam unit, and a Presonus unit. Beyond that I can only share trends I have seen in various discussions in multiple home recording and producing forums. Based on the many discussions I have read, I would suggest avoiding the M-Audio units. Far to many consistent comments on problems with drivers, reliability issues and so forth. On the other hand, I have read regular comments recommending both Focusrite and Presonus units.

But again, much of the decision depends on your specific needs. I would strongly recommend researching the topic and accumulating info from multiple sources.
Here is one that recently popped up. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for some topical guidance that may lead to further questions to research.

http://www.zzounds.com/lp/audio-interfa ... -guide/151
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

slh2536 wrote:I'm looking for a inexpensive Interface that will plug into my USB to get my latency down to real time. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks!
if it's only a latency issue I'd look into the root cause first.
are you using ASIO4ALL?
buffer settings?
what OS are you using? (this affects WaveRT latency).

what insturments do you plan to use and how many @ once?

I won't name brands but my advice is to go w/ more inputs than you think you'll need.
want 1 go 2 minimum,want 2 go 4,etc.
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

I recently purchased my first audio interface after a lot of research.

I was originally thinking I wanted to spend as little as possible for a decent quality interface, so I was looking for probably a 2 input interface. At first I, after a lot of study of the various inexpensive interfaces, I was thinking the Steinberg UR22. But I read of users having issues with it's USB drivers, and of some sort of quality issue (I forget what). Also, just about all of the 2 input interfaces are bus powered, which often means low gain on the preamps, and also they will be unable to properly power mics requiring phantom power. I also read a lot of people having problems overdriving the preamps on the 2i2 when recording guitar.

All my study finally led me to the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, which has two mic preamps, two line inputs, and 2 digital spdf inputs. With the 4 analog inputs, I can record my guitar with a direct line, and up to 3 mics to record my voice and 1 or 2 mics for the guitar as well, which is just what I really wanted. It is also wall wart powered, as opposed to bus powered, so it can easily handle phantom powered mics should I ever need it. The final kicker was that I found it on sale at Guitar Center for $175.

I've only made a couple of recordings using it so far, but it's worked fine so far with my Windows 7 Pro HP Elitebook 8560w with 16GB mem and a 2.4 (Turbo up to 3.4) GHz processor laptop (and Mixcraft 6).

Latency was fine in both its native ASIO an Windows RT interface modes.

Just my 2 cents answering your question regarding a new low latency interface. I would, however, figure out why you have a high latency on your current interface as the previous posters asked, before you invest in a new interface.