Yamaha dd55 as controler help need please

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mab098157

Yamaha dd55 as controler help need please

Post by Mab098157 »

Pickup a Yamaha dd-55 to use as control with some weird results, maybe someone can offer some suggestions.

If using on virtual track w/ Acoustica drums (any kit) notes are picked up in sound file, but inconsistent in playback.

If using VST JM-1 every note is picked up and performs correctly in playback, although no velocity dynamics.

Now if I change the instrument on the track captured with JM-1 to Acoustica room 128:8, playback is correct with velocity dynamics. Any other kit still has issues?

When I look at the sound file, I only see note on and note off. Am I missing something that is effecting the playback in Acoustica kits?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
aquataur

Re: Yamaha dd55 as controler help need please

Post by aquataur »

Sounds like you have no velocity information or a keyboard with funny velocity curve.
This would explain that the DAW registers keystrokes readily with hugely varying velocity.

Many of those keyboards have have only rudimentary MIDI support and don´t serve very well as a master keyboard into a PC.

Some keyboards have variable velocity curve settings, usually selected by some funny key combination. Consult the manual.

For your already recorded material, change the velocity values by hand inside the DAW. You can use the mouse to "draw" a velocity curve if you want.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

helmut

I am not sure if you are aware that the Yamaha dd55 is a MIDI drum machine with drum pads, not a standard MIDI controller?

Having said that your comments about velocity data still hold true.

Cheers

John
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

fredfish wrote:I am not sure if you are aware that the Yamaha dd55 is a MIDI drum machine with drum pads, not a standard MIDI controller?
Sure, no.

Maybe your man was helped.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can see what settings are being applied to your MIDI clips by selecting the clip, then looking at the sound tab and clicking on the Velocity setting. If there are MIDI commands present, the setting name will be in bold. In this example, the selected clip only has "Velocity (Note On)" and "Velocity (Note Off)."

The length of the line indicates the velocity for each Note On. It's up to the virtual instrument to interpret the MIDI and you will get different results from different virtual instruments.

Greg