COMPUTER HARDAWRE UPGRADE?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

terrellhicks

COMPUTER HARDAWRE UPGRADE?

Post by terrellhicks »

I have a problem. I started on my first project using all vst amps and effects. I normally use real stuff. I got finished with the tracking and arrangement stage, did some mixing then applied all my compressors.
I cant get steady playback without lags or glitching using wave,waveRT, or ASIO. when I start removing compressors and other effects things start to playback fine. in the section of the song with the most weight on it I am using 80-90% CPU. so I know the problem is my laptop. I have removed all the non windows essential programs from startup and deleted all temp folders.
my laptop currently has two memory cards In it. one is a 1GB and the other is a 2GB.
so my question is, if I upgrade these to add more memory will it help or is this more of a processor problem? the machine is equipped with an AMD CPU. It does great on other projects with live amps and such but I guess the vst amp, cabs, and all the effects are needing a lot to work.
terrellhicks

Re: COMPUTER HARDAWRE UPGRADE?

Post by terrellhicks »

added note. I just realized that I downloaded the 32 bit version of all my vst effects and amps.
my laptop is 64 bit. would that have anything to do with it? they all work?
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

You probably already know this but turning off all the visual eye candy or reverting to Windows Classic when recording helps 1000% .

as far as the CPU it's probably more of a RAM thing than the actual processor. more RAM is always better.
it also depends on which vst's you use. some are CPU hogs to begin with.
terrellhicks

Post by terrellhicks »

I didn't already know that. what do you mean by eye candy?
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

terrellhicks wrote:I didn't already know that. what do you mean by eye candy?
which version of Windows are you running?

screen savers,desktop background picture,windows glass,3D, mouse shadows,etc.etc.
just right click the main desktop & click personalize or co-
control panel>appearance & personalization>personalization>themes
then choose Windows Classic. it's basically the no frills XP theme.

if you're on Windows 7 you can save that one,save the standard W7 theme,& customize your own & save it then just go back & forth when recording/not recording.
terrellhicks

Post by terrellhicks »

oh I see. I am on windows 7 but already have all that junk off. I will try reverting to windows classic and see if it helps.
i am also going to get a new pair of memory cards.
so what about the 32 bit vs 64 bit?
my system is 64bit. just looked at it today. when i downloaded all my vst's i got the 32bit version. i thought for sure my computer was 32bit. all the vst's work so far. should i removed them and re download the 64 bit versions?
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Turn off any windows enhancements/visual effects etc. (Eye Candy)
Only 32bit VST's are compatible with Mixcraft at the moment but that is likely to change in MC7.
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
terrellhicks

Post by terrellhicks »

Ok so you have to use vst's (32/64bit) according to the DAW (32/64bit) your using.
weather or not the computer is 32 or 64 isn't a factor?
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

That is pretty much it.

However - the advantage of 64 bit systems is that the system can recognise more RAM, making your system run more smoothly.

Some VSTs greatly benefit from having access to larger chunks of RAM (such as those that load and manipulate large samples). If you want to use these types of VSTs then you really need to use the 64 bit versions of those VSTs. To do that in the current version of Mixcraft you need to use a piece of software that creates a "bridge" between the 32 bit software and the 64 bit VST. One such piece of software is called jbridge (you can find it here http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/ there is a fully functioning demo and the cost if you want to use it is very reasonable).

Cheers

John
terrellhicks

Post by terrellhicks »

I have done some reading on these bridge programs. i am looking into it. im hoping i can hold out until MC7 comes out. that's when i plan on paying for some higher quality vst,s. I downloaded the free ones for now just to play around and figure out what i did and didn't like about them, so i would know what to look for in a paid vst.

i am currently at 3gb memory. My system being 64bit will allow 8gb. would that just be overkill?
should i just step up 1 or 2gb?
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

terrellhicks wrote:I have done some reading on these bridge programs. i am looking into it. im hoping i can hold out until MC7 comes out. that's when i plan on paying for some higher quality vst,s. I downloaded the free ones for now just to play around and figure out what i did and didn't like about them, so i would know what to look for in a paid vst.

i am currently at 3gb memory. My system being 64bit will allow 8gb. would that just be overkill?
should i just step up 1 or 2gb?
if it can take 8 put 8. it could come in handy later on if you decide to run something big or get into serious multi-tracking.

as far as the free vst's, instead of running a bit wrapper or bridge I'd just stick w/ the 32-bit versions until MC 7 comes out. 1 less thing to deal with. :wink:

but that's JMHO
terrellhicks

Post by terrellhicks »

thank you all for your help. i am going to upgrade the memory and use windows classic while tracking.

i plan to build a desktop dedicated to recording in the future. any one have any recommendations on hardware? i plan to you external usb interface.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Totaly agree with Gypsy - stick to the 32 bit ones at the moment.

As to hardware, it depends a bit on what you want to do.

Are you talking Keyboards, Guitars, vocals or maby a combination of them all.

Are you just asking about the interface (do you already have MIDI controller / keyboard yet).

I know a lot of people swear by the Focusrite range. I personally use a Line 6 X3 Live for Guitar and vocal input (that is partly because one of my guitars is a Varix and the Line 6 allows me to directly connect that). I also have a Line 6 HD500 But that wont record a dry signal from the guitar (dry means the sound of the guitar without any effects applied) and a Line 6 KB37 that also has a 37 key MIDI keyboard built in.

For my external Keyboards I directly connect them by USB but I also have a 4 port MIDI interface that allows me to connect my external Roland JV1010 sound module and route my MIDI keyboards through that even if I am not using the Computer.

I mention all of that to show that there are a whole wealth of solutions - but to identify what is good for you needs to start with what and how you want to connect.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

recording computer-
I would suggest a SSD (solid state drive) & a 2TB ext. HD for storage & backup.

a nice graphics card. I have an AMD Radeon 6450 for running dual screens (and get dual screens) or through HDMI to a tv,etc.

RAM-as much as possible w/ a 64 bit OS.

350-650wtc PSU depending...
(they're not that expensive)

good fans.
you can build one a lot cheaper than buying a specialty "recording computer".
terrellhicks

Post by terrellhicks »

building one is what i plan to do.
i plan on just picking up a tower some where cheap and gutting it.
i though i would put a decent HD in it and try to get the best CPU i can afford.
i for sure want atleast two monitors. if possible and affordable i want to set it up for 4 monitors just incase i want more in the future.
i don't really want to go crazy with the sound card because im going to use a rack mounted usb interface. im currently using a presonus audio box 2x2. they have a larger model but i think im going to go with the Tascam us1800. it seems to be the best bang for the buck.
as far as i understand if im using asio drivers for the Tascam or whatever usb interface then the computers onboard sound card doesn't get used. it would use the interface as a sound card.
please correct me if im wrong on that.

as far as instruments and other outboard hardware. the interfaces i am looking at all have midi in and out built in so i should be able to use about any outboard device. with that said the most midi gear i think i would have is just a midi keyboard, my foot controller for the guitar stuff, and some kind of motorized table top control surface. that's if MC7 will support motorized gear.

i would like to experiment with using the midi data from an electronic drum kit to control the acoustica drums.

anyway i know what i want as far as performance goes for the new PC i just don't know enough about it to know which parts to buy..e.g what brand and model HD,