Woohoo! Screen redraw issue! (AKA we found some bugs!)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Anorax

Woohoo! Screen redraw issue! (AKA we found some bugs!)

Post by Anorax »

For some strange issue, when I found this bug I became a tad giddy, because it's not everyday that you find a bug that's survived seemingly unnoticed for so long (I'll send this along to the bug tracker too).

If your project is in full screen and you don't have enough tracks for the scrollbar to appear in the sequencing window, and then you switch Mixcraft from full screen to a floating window (using the as-labeled "restore down" button) (which in most cases should render a scrollbar in the sequencing view) and then restore back to full screen, you should again have no scrollbar. However, a bug appears when you then add more screen real estate to your tracks (tested in my case by adding lanes to a virtual intrument track via keyboard shortcut ALT+L), causing Mixcraft to render the scrollbar. However, it renders in the location that it was when it was an undocked window.

I'll try to explain it better for the bug tracker, but in the meantime here's a [cropped] screenshot.
MX6 b217 on x64 Win7 Home Premium.

tl;dr have a quote from Vibrant Audio, because I'm ridiculously verbose with this stuff.
Vibrant Audio wrote:At first I thought maybe your machine was just possessed, based on the name of your project there. :lol:

But I can duplicate the issue here on Win 7 64-bit. Here are the steps I use to duplicate:
1. Start Mixcraft
2. Restore down
3. Restore up
4. Press Alt-L until the scroll bar appears in the middle of the screen

Also, I get an invisible scroll bar if I skip steps 2 and 3.
Attachments
Mixcraft Window Rendering Bug.png
Mixcraft Window Rendering Bug.png (113.14 KiB) Viewed 8548 times
Last edited by Anorax on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Bliss

Re: Woohoo! Screen redraw issue!

Post by Mark Bliss »

Can't reproduce it here on Vista, but I get similar "artifacts" when opening/closing/re-sizing windows from time to time in many programs. Always blamed the machines quirks, not the specific programs.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Well, maybe it's a Win7 thing.

Whatever it is, I find it interesting. If I could make a video I would
chibear

Post by chibear »

I have Win 7 Pro and couldn't get mine to do that. Tomorrow I'll try on the laptop with Win 7 Home and see.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

I'll just chalk it up to my PC being crazy then.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

At first I thought maybe your machine was just possessed, based on the name of your project there. :lol:

But I can duplicate the issue here on Win 7 64-bit. Here are the steps I use to duplicate:
1. Start Mixcraft
2. Restore down
3. Restore up
4. Press Alt-L until the scroll bar appears in the middle of the screen

Also, I get an invisible scroll bar if I skip steps 2 and 3.
*Vibrant Audio*
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

And we have a duplicatable bug.... or two.
Check out the re-sized top track as well!
buggy1.jpg
buggy1.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 8527 times
Nice catch Anorax! (I hear you snickering!) 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

---EDITS IN RED---

Wow, I'm overly wordy with things.

If that's the case, then I'm taking this to the bug tracker. Should I:
A) Put it in the Mixcraft 6 tracker,
B) Go ahead and report it in the [urlhttp://bugz.acoustica.com/describecomponents.cgi?product=Mixcraft%207]Mixcraft 7 tracker[/url], or
C) Wait until Mixcraft 7 beta is released, check to see if the bug occurs, and then submit it?

Either way, taking notes:

- appears issue is related to restoring down and then restoring up a fresh session of mixcraft, then adding a ridiculous amount of lanes (or not-so-ridiculous amount depending on what template you started with). May require Mixcraft starting in fullscreen first, but can't test because there isn't really a way to make mixcraft start up in a floating/restored down window.
- Issue may arise when adding screen real estate by opening automation lanes, but haven't tested yet. Nope, Chuck Testa. Only occurs when adding new lanes, either with keyboard or with the right-click menu (click -> lanes -> add)
- Issue doesn't 'reset' between new projects. If Mixcraft has been restored down once, the scrollbar will float regardless of how many new projects you open. This means it pertains to each instance of Mixcraft itself, not to any project instances.
- Related issue: Invisible scrollbar. If lanes added w/o restoring mixcraft window down then up first, scrollbar graphic will replace the graphic for the vertical up arrow instead of existing where the scrollbar should naturally. Screenshot attached. (Nice catch Vibrant Audio!)
- If invisible scrollbar is moved (forcing it to appear as a normal scrollbar), then invisible scrollbar bug can't be replicated in that instance of mixcraft (even after deleting and re-adding lanes). Have to close and reopen Mixcraft to duplicate bug.
- Found by mick: scrollbar MUST be visible in smaller (restore down) window in order for bug to occur.

Also, mbliss, I think the resized top track is to save screen space. It automatically shrinks the new lanes in an attempt to keep as many tracks on the screen as possible, just so you won't have to vertically scroll quite so much when you add new lanes to reach the rest of your project (but you're screwed if you add twenty-some lanes to a track, because frankly that's ridiculous)
Attachments
Mixcraft Invisible Scrollbar.png
Mixcraft Invisible Scrollbar.png (13.78 KiB) Viewed 8521 times
Last edited by Anorax on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
chibear

Re: Woohoo! Screen redraw issue! (AKA we found some bugs!)

Post by chibear »

I tried it again and got it to work (win7 Pro 64 bit) like you said. I've never seen that before. Cool! 8)

Of course if you click on it everything snaps back to where it should be (or appears in the case of the invisible scroll bar), but nice catch.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Anorax wrote:mbliss, I think the resized top track is to save screen space. It automatically shrinks the new lanes in an attempt to keep as many tracks on the screen as possible
Yes, I messed with it a bit more and see that now. On a first quick look, the track height gets taller and the waveform lane gets shorter. But its due to the added lanes.
Its already been stated there will likely be no more updates to V6, but theres no harm in pointing out the funny little bug.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Hahaha some people will go to any lengths to find a glitch. Maybe the Acoustical guys should look at adding some Easter Eggs in MC7 just for the fun of it .. or maybe there's already some in MC6 that we just haven't found yet ? ;)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
mick

Post by mick »

I can't seem to duplicate the issue :( (notice I didn't say problem?) however, if there's only a couple of tracks then no scrollbar appears by default because it isn't needed. Its only when I start adding tracks the scrollbar automatically appears because its now required to view the increased track stack. Switching from reduced to full page view and back multiple times works O.K. :D
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Well, I'll be honest, I found this bug on accident. Sometimes if you double click on a program's titlebar, it'll automatically restore down, which is what I had done. I was just wanting to add lanes for a new project, I never imagined I would have found this!

It is quite the funny bug though, otherwise I would have missed it
mick

Post by mick »

Nope! Tried again, and again and no matter what, I cannot trip Mixcraft up, it must be the squirt'y bleach stuff the missus keeps coming round with, it kills 99% of all known bugs. :lol:
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Hmm, interesting. What OS do you have, and is it x86 or x64?