Being a member of the OFC shouldnt be a barrier!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

fredfish

Being a member of the OFC shouldnt be a barrier!

Post by fredfish »

Those of you "Stateside" have probably seen this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6uq4OCla2c#t=240

Great writing!

Cheers

John
Anorax

Re: Being a member of the OFC shouldnt be a barrier!

Post by Anorax »

I have NOT seen this.

And that's hilarious!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I loved it. My kind of song writing.
Almost as funny is the debates in the responses. Sheez. People cant even have a sense of humor about humor?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mick

Post by mick »

Hi John, Very funny.
Now THAT really did happen to a guy I once worked with in Sheffield (honest!) He bought her/him drinks for an hour, went outside "to the bicycle shed" and got a nasty surprise. He left her/him with a broken jaw and himself with a broken heart and a few ££££'s lighter. :oops:

If it wasn't for your post I wouldn't have had the joy of seeing this either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... PYMdxxM4Ha
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

:lol:
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

mick wrote:Hi John, Very funny.
Now THAT really did happen to a guy I once worked with in Sheffield (honest!) He bought her/him drinks for an hour, went outside "to the bicycle shed" and got a nasty surprise. He left her/him with a broken jaw and himself with a broken heart and a few ££££'s lighter. :oops:

If it wasn't for your post I wouldn't have had the joy of seeing this either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... PYMdxxM4Ha

Well that's Sheffield for you!!

Thanks for the extra link - great.

Cheers

John
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

made my evening - fanx John :D
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

I can remember when.....

no,no I really can't. :?
outteh

Post by outteh »

This will be US in a few more years - including the controversial lyrics! :lol:
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

outteh wrote:This will be US in a few more years - including the controversial lyrics! :lol:
Speak for yourself. There's no way I'll be performing anything like that, especially with kids watching. I prefer to stay out of the gutter.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

outteh wrote:This will be US in a few more years - including the controversial lyrics! :lol:
whaddaya mean in a couple years?? I've been like that forever. :lol:
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Ianpb wrote:
Speak for yourself. There's no way I'll be performing anything like that, especially with kids watching. I prefer to stay out of the gutter.
Ian - I certainly respect that you find the lyrics offensive -

I don't watch X-Factor or its ilk as I find the format to be offensive and destructive to the future of the music industry as a whole (the premise of the format is not to celebrate talent but to enjoy the failure of the losers - each week the focus is on who is voted off).

But on a broader note within those shows it is fine to include all manner of sexual references in the lyrics of the music. At least this guy was open!

Take a number of classic songs and look at their meaning and you will notice how much there is that is based on the "gutter" side of life.

Obvious one is "Walk on the Wild Side"

Others include
"Lola" by the Kinks about transsexuals
"Welcome to the House of Fun" by Madness which is all about a 16 year old loosing his virginity to a prostitute (interestingly this is often played at kids parties!)
"Chain Reaction" by Diana Ross about mutual orgasm
"Dream" Everly Brothers is supposedly about masturbation.

My point is that these messages are all there subliminally - at least this guy used humour and the correct words. Kids are exposed to significantly worse lyrics than these, which doesn't make it right, but IMHO the subliminal message they are being fed every day (not just about sex but also about violence which is much worse) is significantly more harmful than a song like this.

As I said just my opinion.

Cheers

John
mick

Post by mick »

:D Totally agree with Ianpb cos I don't appreciate so called "comedians" that can't put a sentence together without swearing or referring to the human anatomy incorrectly and all similar manner of things. My wife has never heard me swear in 40 years, I don't watch movies with constant swearing, there's so much I don't tolerate, I prefer to watch stuff like Hobsons choice blah, blah, blah. Soap box Blah, Blah, Blah.
However, I have heard more offensive language from newsreaders caught off camera, male and female alike. This is light hearted and just calls a spade a spade (or P----) in this case, and I laughed myself off the chair because it reminded me of a TRUE event I was told about many years ago. So, I ain't taking sides because I appreciate all views but I personally take it for what it is - a most likely event that's probably happened 100's of times. (or 1000's ?) :?
Have a nice weekend Y'all. :D
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

Ianpb wrote:
just turning on the tv is offensive these days.especially most of the commercials. :?
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

fredfish wrote: I certainly respect that you find the lyrics offensive...

"Lola" by the Kinks about transsexuals
"Welcome to the House of Fun" by Madness which is all about a 16 year old loosing his virginity to a prostitute (interestingly this is often played at kids parties!)
"Chain Reaction" by Diana Ross about mutual orgasm
"Dream" Everly Brothers is supposedly about masturbation.
You omitted McArthur Park. I wasn't offended (I'm of the opinion that no adult has the right not to be offended if we are to enjoy free speech), and I can see what you are getting at. I was just very irritated by its lewdness, particularly with regard to the young age of many who would be watching. Unfortunately, the mainstream media, as well as the music industry, currently appears to be in the game of sexualising children at every opportunity.

Although much of the meaning behind the lyrical content of those songs you listed went right over my head when I was in my childhood and early teens, and 'Dream' could just as easily refer to innocent romantic fantasy, the thing about them is that they were created using inventive lyrical skills rather than plain language aimed to shock, as would also be the case with Chuck Berry's puerile 'My Ding-a-Ling', to which I also tittered like an idiot when I heard it in my teens.