Possible Bug Report?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

davefk

Possible Bug Report?

Post by davefk »

I was mixing down one of my songs to 24bit export individual wav files, and I had a drum track in a drum bus called 'Crash\Ride' when the export got to this track an error popped up telling me there was no room on the disk (967gb free) I tried several things like deleting the other drum tracks in the bus and trying to only export the one drum track from the project.

I had a good think about what could be causing the error, and it occurred to me that the difference with this track and the other drum tracks was the '\' in the name of the track.

As soon as I removed the '\' that solved the problem and I was able to continue exporting the tracks in my drum bus.

It's not that important, but can anyone else please re-create that?

Cheers

Dave
Attachments
DBError.jpg
DBError.jpg (200.98 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Last edited by davefk on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anorax

Re: Possible Bug Report?

Post by Anorax »

I think that's an issue due to the Windows filesystem. You can't write certain characters to a filename, / and \ being two of them. Maybe they can change Mixcraft's behavior when exporting individual tracks so that the forbidden symbols are replaced or ignored. I'd reproduce if I wasn't on the road right now.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Completely agree with Anorax. If you know your DOS commands the "/" symbol is a folder separator, so in effect Mixcraft is trying to save the file and change the folder at the same time - that is never going to work.

Reality is you wont be able to save in ANY program with a "/" in the file name. Different programs handle the problem in different ways. I do agree that if this is what is happening when you trey to save then Mixcraft should be catching the illegal characters and at very least giving a meaningful answer as to why things aren't working. Actually I don't agree that Mixcraft should just save the file without the illegal character in it - I think that the user needs to know what is happening so they can choose how to handle the error, in the example you give you could opt to change the "/" with a "-".

Cheers

John
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

I can't reproduce that error message. No matter what characters I put in the track name in Mixcraft, I can still mix down.

Obviously, as stated above, invalid characters aren't allowed in the actual filename - but that's not what you described.

I even tried overwriting a wav file that I had open in another program. Still no error.

Win7 Home Premium SP1
*Vibrant Audio*
davefk

Post by davefk »

Vibrant Audio wrote:I can't reproduce that error message. No matter what characters I put in the track name in Mixcraft, I can still mix down.

Obviously, as stated above, invalid characters aren't allowed in the actual filename - but that's not what you described.

I even tried overwriting a wav file that I had open in another program. Still no error.

Win7 Home Premium SP1
Use the \ key not the / key. Export to 24bit wav with 'Use File/Tag Information' and 'Mix Each Track To A Separate File' selected. Do you get a error now?
Last edited by davefk on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
davefk

Post by davefk »

fredfish wrote:Completely agree with Anorax. If you know your DOS commands the "/" symbol is a folder separator, so in effect Mixcraft is trying to save the file and change the folder at the same time - that is never going to work.

Reality is you wont be able to save in ANY program with a "/" in the file name. Different programs handle the problem in different ways. I do agree that if this is what is happening when you trey to save then Mixcraft should be catching the illegal characters and at very least giving a meaningful answer as to why things aren't working. Actually I don't agree that Mixcraft should just save the file without the illegal character in it - I think that the user needs to know what is happening so they can choose how to handle the error, in the example you give you could opt to change the "/" with a "-".

Cheers

John

I have no trouble if I use "/" in the filename, it saves perfectly. Its when I use '\' in the filename that the problem arises............Opps just tried again, and yep I do have the problem if I use 'Mix Each Track To A Separate File'
Last edited by davefk on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

davefk wrote:Use the \ key not the / key. Export to 24bit wav with 'Use File/Tag Information' and 'Mix Each Track To A Separate File' selected.
Got it. When you use the 'Mix Each Track To Separate File' option, each Mixcraft track name is automatically appended to the name of each file. So, if you use some invalid characters in the track name you run into this problem.

Interestingly, when I use a : in the track name, Mixcraft just cuts the file name there, mixes down, but doesn't put any .wav extension (or any extension) on the mixed down file!

I think the best solution is for Mixcraft to either provide an error message that identifies the actual problem or not allow invalid file name characters in track names. And of course, give an error message for any invalid character (including ':').
*Vibrant Audio*
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

I think the problem may be due to the fact that a backslash "/" is used for URLs, while the forward slash "\" is used for internal file location and drive partitions.

i.e. when you type in "C:/Users" your computer will correct it to "C:\Users"

Here's what I think is going on: when mixcraft tries to handle a marker that's essentially for writing to a folder, it freezes because it has no idea how to handle it, so it just aborts and throws a generic error instead.