Windows 8 and DAWS

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

HarryDuck

Windows 8 and DAWS

Post by HarryDuck »

What's the word on the street? Windows 8 doesn't enjoy the good reputation of Win 7 and Win XP so I am a bit nervous about having to upgrade to 8 when the day comes.

Your thoughts?
Ozscot

Re: Windows 8 and DAWS

Post by Ozscot »

I'm running windows 8.1 and use Mixcraft 6 - Never had so much as a single issue or error on either the Mixcraft side or the OS side.

Ah...you made me think - one very, very small issue is opening Midi, MP3 or Wav files in Mixcraft directly from their folder - Mixcraft doesn't appear as an option for opening them as Windows 8 deals with 'apps' and not programmes - and Mixcraft is not an app - Of course you can import them no problem at all once you've opened Mixcraft - but it's a 30 second annoyance having to open Mixcraft first and then importing the music you want into it - rather than going directly from the folder they are located in - but seriously, that's the one and only issue and is barely worth raising.

Oz
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Hi Oz - there is a way to do what you want.

Go to your control panel (in Icon view)
Select Default Programs
Select Associate a file type or protocol with a program
Select .mp3 from the list (or .mid, .wav etc)
Select change program
If Mixcraft doesn't come up click on More Options
Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select Look for another app on this PC
Navigate to the Mixcraft folder (you will need to change from "Program files" to "Program Files (x86)" to find the Acoustica folder) and select Mixcraft

.mp3 will now be associated with Mixcraft - but most importantly it will now appear on the Right Click - open with menu. So if you dont want mp3s to always open with Mixcraft go through the above to associate the file with Media player or whatever you want. But you will now be able to right click on a file and select open with and choose Mixcraft.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

John
Ozscot

Post by Ozscot »

Thanks John! Much appreciated!

Oz