Mixcraft Live

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

HarryDuck

Mixcraft Live

Post by HarryDuck »

The effects in Mixcraft are quite good. Has anyone ever tried using a DAW controller mixer into Mixcraft and then using the output from Mixcraft and sending it to the power amp in a sound reinforcement application?

I am thinking that scenes can be set and called up for each song.

My thoughts are this. Mixcraft is very musician friendly and the best sound men are usually musicians. Live performances can be recorded with ease as can practices.

Your thoughts?
ZCR2244

Re: Mixcraft Live

Post by ZCR2244 »

Sadly Mixcraft is not fast enough to be used as a software mixer; for sound reinforcement. When using the Monitor Incoming Audio function it is almost fast enough if you turn the recording sample rate all the way down but then the quality of the sound is reduced quite dramatically. Also you their is no way in the software to add extra Pre/Post send channels for monitoring or looping in physical effect units.

To do a software mixer you need hardware that has low latency drivers as well as an application that is optimized for being a software mixer. If you wish to look into this sort of topic further try looking at the Presonus Firestudio firewire interfaces and their bundled first party software (their audio interface + software = $400) or the Ableton Live software mixer software or I hear Pro Tools will run a software mixer.

In general Most of the sound tech's I talk to about software mixers generally tell me that its not worth doing unless you have a digital mixer that doubles up as the I/O interface and you use an attached computer to control the mixer. Most likely this is because digital mixers in this configuration do all the processing rather than the computer OR updating any soft of software/drivers on you PC can then break the software mixer = you spend the better part of a week fixing a software problem(not good if your working on projects for/with other people). If you are going to go a head with a software mixer you really need a dedicated PC and a dedicated back up PC in which both computers do not get connected to in internet, have updates installed or drivers updated.