PC question

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gypsy101

Re: PC question

Post by gypsy101 »

popbaby wrote:In light of some new sales that have and probably will arise, I'm debating whether or not an i7 processor is worth the extra coin over an amd10. For example there's an Acer for $150 more than the HP laptop I was eyeing but the specs are the same (16gb ram) besides the processor being an i7 and the screen size being about 2 inches larger. Basically I'm debating between these two or something similar. I will be getting an external 7200rpm or SSD regardless. Thoughts? Thanks!

http://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-La ... 28238.html

http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-15z-L ... 38744.html
3 problems right off the bat-
it's an Acer
Windows 8.1
it's a laptop

Quote-
" I will be using EZdrummer2 and will be running amp modeling through something like amplitube. I'll also be using a lot of waves plugins including the CLA series, JJP, and mastering software like Ozone.
I want to plan ahead for the future, but also don't want to drop a ton of coin on something I don't need. "

if you are buying a computer for recording buy a tower or @ least a laptop w/ Windows 7 or 8 but not 8.1 (research problems w/ 8.1 for audio recording/production).
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Stick with Windows 7. It's a better OS unless you have a touch screen.

And yea, I would always recommend a desktop over a laptop. There are scenarios where a laptop is useful - if you were going out every week and recording live bands for instance - but if you are talking about a machine that is mostly going to sit in a studio for recording you want a desktop.

If you haven't yet experienced the workflow of having 3 or 4 monitors, I highly recommend it. I'm currently using three, and could easily use a 4th.
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

If you have a choice go with a desktop...many reasons why,,,also if you have a choice go with the i7.If I had it to do over again my i5 build would be an i7.Lots more bang for the buck.
popbaby

Post by popbaby »

Is it possible to reinstall Windows 7 if I have it? I'm going with a laptop for various reasons, but most of which, that it's portable and I'll be doing a bit of traveling. So is the I7 worth the extra money over the amd10?
outteh

Post by outteh »

You can reinstall Windows 7 on to your new laptop if you have the disks and the code. I would go with the I7 over the AMD, I have an I7 laptop that I use Mixcraft on and it has held up great.,
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am detecting a trend to the opinions here........ one more?

A laptop will run Mixcraft just fine. As long as you accept the limitations of simple projects, low track counts and having to jump through hoops to make many plug-ins work without hassle, etc. etc. Or you can spend a bunch of money on a really high performance laptop, and accept that you could have had similar performance at about half the cost......
But yes, for a portable solution, running a few tracks and plug-ins, recording with a basic portable studio rig, I do!

As far as the specific question, AMD vs Intel, I don't know. There was a time when some software or drivers worked more reliably and consistently with genuine Intel. I would bet there is still some truth to that, but I cant say with authority or experience. I have tried to save money and because of that chosen AMD on several machines. Cant blame the AMD choice for sure, but consistently have regretted the economy machines and wished I had spent a little more on a better performing machine for various uses. And combining the choice of economy and the choice of a laptop, is probably a bit of an oxymoron for this application. I dont know what your exact expectations are, but even an I7 16 Gig machine isn't going to cut it choked with the 5400 RPM drive, so you are looking at either running an expensive SSD, or opting for something with expensive high speed bus capability and the added expense of an external high performance drive, or both....... Not trying to discourage, but point out some realities.

The advise on choosing Win7 is probably good advise. Unfortunately that is problematic, as Microsoft STRONGLY discourages retailers from stocking and selling machines with previous versions of Windows installed. One local vendor told me that MS representatives regularly pop in and inspect inventory and make sure nothing but the current software is displayed or offered except online, or custom built to order situations.
But based on everything I have studied, Win7 still appears to be the best choice at this time for a performance oriented machine running a DAW, primarily because the drivers are sorted out and there are still a lot of complaints and issues with Win8, and Win10 while apparently just around the corner, is an unknown and even less likely to be sorted out by 3rd party developers. Its good advise to never opt for the latest thing anyway, especially for this kind of use IMO. Some home studio owners are still clinging tight to XP! While I finally ditched mine, I understand.Use what works and stick to what you know. Good approach!

One last bit of advise though. I ordered a Win7 Machine recently from Dell and have had nothing but trouble. It has never worked properly since the first time it was plugged in and booted up. Their customer service is not what it is touted to be. After spending literally hours trying to diagnose and fix it and talking on the phone to people I cant understand but one of every six or eight words of what they say, they have ignored me and blown me off until I am ready to give this brand new pile of crap away. They wont take it back and now they want to send out a Dell tech with a replacement hard drive. 1 or 2 days notice Mon-Fri 11A-2P....... Hey, I work 10 hours a day M-F and my next weekday off will be sometime in July 2015. I have told them 6 times, the computer is re-boxed, waiting on return authorization. Dont want it. Don't have the time to mess with it any more. "30 day customer satisfaction period has expired" Thats funny, 30 days passed before they responded to my requests for assistance! Horrible. Idiots.

Rant not over, just over here...... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Stubby03

Post by Stubby03 »

Im in the same boat. My hp with a speed of 5400, does have small pops when I have several tracks going thru it. I see the desktops, with 7200 rpm speeds, are a lot cheaper that the laptops. I just hate to load up a desktop to go over to our practice space (drummers house) to record tracks. We only get together once a week to record, but what a pain. I cant find a laptop for less than $1400 with 7200rpm speed. Didn't notice this problem till I loaded up about 15 tracks. My budget is about 1000, looks like I better save up more money.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Check out Tiger Direct and look at the ASUS line.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 8086_28086
Last edited by outteh on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

here is something worth reading-
Taskhost.exe seems to use a lot of cpu.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/5472- ... e-taskhost

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 02f8f4f2cf

maybe go into running processes & shut it down then see what happens w/ performance.

you may also try these to see if you have any problems w/ you comp-
http://support2.microsoft.com/fixit/

another thing, if your buddy has MC @ home you could always take an ext. HD,zip drive,mem stick, or even burn a cd. when you're done jamming just mix down to separate .WAV files to whatever medium from the above then take that home & upload to your comp & go from there.
Last edited by gypsy101 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Stubby,

You said you hate to load up a desk top PC to take to practice.

Ever thought about a multitrack recorder? I use a Zoom R16.
I have taken it to another location and recorded 4 tracks.
Then when I got home transferred them to my desktop and did
All mixing in MC.

Just a thought.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Note: Windows 10 looks fantastic. We downloaded a technical preview of it a month or so ago and it was great. Of course, I certainly can't speak to driver issues yet, as this was just a workstation at work, but the layout and "feel" of Windows 10 was really, really good. Like a mix of Windows 7 and the best parts of Windows 8.

Fingers crossed on this one, but all signs are good.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

One thing that concerns me is that it is obvious Msoft is rushing this to market to counter the severely bad consumer response to Win8........
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

mbliss wrote:One thing that concerns me is that it is obvious Msoft is rushing this to market to counter the severely bad consumer response to Win8........
In which case they could just do a modified re-release of Windows 7 and call it Windows 9. Of course, that would mean less pockets to empty once the word got round that there's nothing to be gained.
Stubby03

Post by Stubby03 »

Thats a thought Doodad. I have to give it some time. Spend more for a laptop with higher rpm. Desktop and a portable recorder. Will see in the next few months. Gonna look at the help from others post on here.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Stick with Win 7 - if it ain't broke, don't fix it :lol:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio