How Do I record Multiple Audio Sources on Separate Tracks?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

AfxTwn

How Do I record Multiple Audio Sources on Separate Tracks?

Post by AfxTwn »

Hi, I have Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio and will be upgrading to version 7 in the new year but I was hoping someone could give me some general setup advice. At the moment I have an old Tascam M-06 mixer and it's outputs are connected to the two inputs of my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface (so I can get stereo).

Into the Tascam mixer I connect various bits of equipment such as my electric guitar or a Korg Kaossilator Pro and other synths etc. At the moment I can only record in Mixcraft on one track which means that I can record everything that's connected to the mixer all on one track but I was wondering if there's a way to be able to record individual tracks for individual bits of equipment. So for example, I'd like to record some drum loops from my Kaossilator Pro on one track and then a synth part from my Microkorg on another track etc.

I know this may need a new audio interface with more inputs but I wasn't sure if you can record multiple inputs on separate tracks in Mixcraft anyway. I know I could just record each track separately on it's own but I like to have all my equipment going at once so I can record a live session and swap between instruments when I feel like it but still be recording (I do a lot of improvised recording). I want to be able to record each individual instrument on it's own track for when I come to mixing and editing later.

Please could someone advise as how best to achieve this and let me know of any audio interfaces or mixers etc that I need to look into.

Thanks.
gypsy101

Re: How Do I record Multiple Audio Sources on Separate Track

Post by gypsy101 »

you would need a muti-input interface w/ an input for each instrument.

the cheapest on the market is the Tascam US-1800 but the reviews are getting worse by the day it seems.
just start researching here-
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/audio-interfaces
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

You are correct, you're going to need a new interface with multiple inputs. Since you are going through the 2i2, it's only going to give you up two tracks into Mixcraft, as you are only giving it two inputs. Since you are using stereo, you are only getting one track with two stereo sides. If you want, you could send each of the stereo sides to one track. For instance, unless you are recording different sources from your guitar, there's not much point recording it in stereo.

I've got a 6i6, and I can record up to 6 tracks at once (4 audio, 2 digital), plus up to 16 midi. For instance, I'll put my vocal mic on one track from audio input 1, and I'll connect my acoustic guitar directly on a second track from audio input 3, and then I'll mic the guitar on another track from audio input 2.

When you hook up your new interface with multiple inputs, with ASIO, it'll allow you to select which inputs to connect to which tracks.

While I answered your question directly, IOW, how do you record to multiple tracks at once, it seems you actually only need to record to multiple tracks.

In that case, for instance, create one audio track, record your guitar on that, create an instrument track, record your synth on that, maybe as a midi, so you can change the instrument you are using. And so on and so on. Just keep adding tracks.

IOW, for each instrument you want to record, create a track for it (+Track, Insert Audio Track for Audio, or Instrument track for a midi input, and so on). Then select Arm and select which input you want to record from, rinse and repeat for each instrument.

Does that make sense?
AfxTwn

Post by AfxTwn »

Thanks for the replies, I think a bigger audio interface is what I need. I mainly only record live audio rather than midi. I do have a midi keyboard controller which I have used to record midi tracks but I prefer to use the audio out of say my Microkorg or old Casio MT-65 keyboard and treat them as I would recording my guitar.

I suppose I don't really need stereo per se but when I have recorded the mono out of my Microkorg and then adjust the panning in Mixcraft to say 100% left, it still comes out of both speakers. However, when I record the MK with stereo outputs, then I can adjust the panning as I like.

As for what I do now, I will have say one channel in my mixer (it has 6 channels) with my guitar plugged in, one with my Microkorg and one with my Volca Beats. I then arm one audio track in Mixcraft and record everything to that one track (I can adjust each instruments individual volume with the mixer). I can record everything separate and to separate tracks but this would require say recording just the Volca Beats first and then recording the guitar and so on. As I don't really have a plan of where the song is going and make things up on the spot depending on how it feels and sounds, I'd rather have everything going at once but on separate tracks.

I think a new audio interface is the way to go, the Scarlett 6i6 or 8i8 look like they're just what I need (although I don't need all the outputs as I only have a pair of M-Audio AV30 speakers but I tend to listen/mix everything on my Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones).
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

But are you recording all the instruments at the same time?
AfxTwn

Post by AfxTwn »

Yes I am. I will have the Volca Beats playing a drum pattern and on top of that I will swap between my guitar and synths to play parts on top (whilst also programming the drums to change the pattern up). I have my Zoom G3X hooked up to my mixer's effects and return outputs so I can connect my guitar to my mixer and use the Zoom's effects/looper for either all the mixer's channels or just the guitar (each channel has it's own effects rotary controller). I also record whatever is coming from the Zoom multi effects pedal.

The trouble with this setup is that it is very prone to hiss (especially from the mixer) and noise and it's difficult when using multiple channels on the mixer to get the balance right while still getting a good volume level.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

If you're a bit thrifty (like I am) have a look at e-bay.
I picked up a Focusrite Saffire LE - 6 in and 8 out for just 50 quid. Works like a dream :D
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
AfxTwn

Post by AfxTwn »

That's funny, because I was going to get one of those before my Scarlett but I was advised by a salesperson at a local Dawsons store that on a Windows PC, USB is better than Firewire and so I got the Scarlett. I'm sure my PC has a firewire port (1394?) so maybe I should look into a Saffire?
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Not really qualified to comment, but my understanding is that firewire will handle more data than usb.

Weird thing is when I bought it I didn't realize it was firewire - had to have a card fitted to my pc :lol:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Problem with Firewire is that only a couple of Firewire chipsets are supported by most interfaces. I don't remember which off the top of my head, but you can do some research at www.gearslutz.com or www.thegearpage.net.