Midi question (Mixcraft 6)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RobertAllan

Midi question (Mixcraft 6)

Post by RobertAllan »

This may be answered somewhere, only did a "lazy" search with keywords,
but i have a question..
Im currently working on my first real album, and planning my first single release,
I want to do something sorta unnexpected with it, so i had this idea to make a 8bit/chiptune remix of the song i will drop as first single, found a proggy to work with that with some tweaqing i think can work great, problem is it only works with MIDI files. I was hoping that mixcraft might have a way to convert songs ive already recorded and saved in Mp3/wav format to a midi file? i tried to use the import media and saw that under files theres a option called "save as midi", but its blank so i cant click it :(
Any way to make this work with Mixcraft or do i need to find another way to do it or re-record the whole song...

Robert
fredfish

Re: Midi question (Mixcraft 6)

Post by fredfish »

There are some bits of software that claim to convert standard audio files to MIDI but to be honest unless the sound file is very basic and doesn't contain different instruments in the same file you are probably not going to have too much success.

Recorded audio and MIDI are significantly different beasts - MIDI is just a series of bits of data telling the instrument what to play, no actual sound data is held within the MIDI file.

I think you are going to have more success finding another plug-in that will process your sound file that will work on wav or mp3 files - or as you indicate re-record the tune.

Just to be sure though what is the name of the vst that you are looking at?

Sorry.

Cheers

John
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

I know its not the same thing, but i figured it was worth a shot as re-recording it isnt tempting,
and allthough i may find another software or something to do the trick, it would be neat if i could use same main for all my work, but yeah..time will tell if i scrath the idea or continue to look into it..
Im on another computer but i believe the proggy is called GXSCC or something..
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Have a go at re-writing it in the Piano Roll. It may sound a daunting prospect but once you get into it, you might find it very therapeutic. I did :)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

I have this one but haven't tried it for anything yet.
http://www.mymusictools.com/midi_tools_ ... _26054.htm

Cubase 7 has it & Melodyne does too but they're pretty spendy.
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

gypsy101 wrote:I have this one but haven't tried it for anything yet.
http://www.mymusictools.com/midi_tools_ ... _26054.htm

Cubase 7 has it & Melodyne does too but they're pretty spendy.
That actually works, sadly i can only save 10 sec without a registered version, and i cant seem to figure out how to register or what the cost is..Thanks for the link though

Robert