Mixdown blues...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Mixdown blues...

Post by Mark Bliss »

The vocal sounds very clean and crisp, nice recording. But I can't really hear much else to judge whats going on there.

As far as the description of something changing between playback within Mixcraft and after rendering, I think the replies so far probably have covered it.
But I am wondering if you recorded the guitar and vocal with one mic and need to work on position, or if the relative level is another issue altogether.

As far as the fretting noise, I wouldn't obsess over that too much, its the sound of a real instrument being played by real hands. And thats a pleasant problem to have. But the best route to reduce it a bit would be to start with trying some different mic aiming and location techniques I think. Sometimes its the same problem with pick noise, etc. Obviously one could work on gating or EQ'ing the track, but what I am suggesting is to work on reducing it naturally if you can, and accept some as normal and acceptable as well.

Just one mans opinion. I like "real" organic recordings.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Totally agree with Mark about fret noise - it makes it real. You will often find that good quality guitar VST's will include the option to add fret noise to simulate the real feel of a performance.

Cheers

John
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Mark Bliss wrote:The vocal sounds very clean and crisp, nice recording. But I can't really hear much else to judge whats going on there.

As far as the description of something changing between playback within Mixcraft and after rendering, I think the replies so far probably have covered it.
But I am wondering if you recorded the guitar and vocal with one mic and need to work on position, or if the relative level is another issue altogether.

As far as the fretting noise, I wouldn't obsess over that too much, its the sound of a real instrument being played by real hands. And thats a pleasant problem to have. But the best route to reduce it a bit would be to start with trying some different mic aiming and location techniques I think. Sometimes its the same problem with pick noise, etc. Obviously one could work on gating or EQ'ing the track, but what I am suggesting is to work on reducing it naturally if you can, and accept some as normal and acceptable as well.

Just one mans opinion. I like "real" organic recordings.
Hello. I didn't do any comparative tracks and didn't save any I thought were "bad" (as if I don't have enough trash on the hard drive already) I just referenced and posted the "good" one. Essentially I just used the MC bass cut instead of one of the fancy and free add-ons that just didn't render right. Live and learn...

I used two mics through an acoustic amp recorded with an old Sonic Foundry (pre-Sony) copy of Soundforge. Ver. 4.5 if I remember right.

Thanks for your thoughts.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

fredfish wrote:Totally agree with Mark about fret noise - it makes it real. You will often find that good quality guitar VST's will include the option to add fret noise to simulate the real feel of a performance.

Cheers

John
Hello John. I thought the fret noise was excessive and wouldn't have minded a little bit less, it's just that the vocal stood out really keen and clean.

What i really like about MC is that it was the last of the "trials" I had downloaded and after having begun to explore the possibilities of the different DAW's, MC was the one I was actually able to DO something with, i.e., to make a desirable, finished "product" more quickly and without having to be too consumed by constant tweeking. (I am a believer that tweeking in MC is done at a level that more closely matches my "maker" brain.}

Cubase Elements hung in there for a good while though.

(First "finished" product here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Zvbe9xU8g)
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

outteh wrote:In Mixcraft, you can check your sample rates under preferences for your audio interface. Setting it here will keep it set for future use. 44100' 16 bit is the norm.
Hello and thanks. I did that just a while ago and it's appreciated.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Acoustica Dan wrote:Windows Media Player has a built-in EQ and other effects that are sometimes installed with your sound device. You can read more about these settings here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7

The best thing to do is to load the WAV file back into a new instance of Mixcraft and hit play. If it sounds the way you expect it to sound, then everything is working fine, and you know that the issue is with Media Player's EQ and effects settings.

Dan
Hello. This is EXACTLY what I like about you guys. I'd 'a never thunk it. And SURE! It's obvious NOW! :lol: