Mixcraft 7 vs Protools

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

TrevsAudio

Re: Mixcraft 7 vs Protools

Post by TrevsAudio »

When I first started as a total noob - I had ProTools lite, Cubase and Reaper trials and a demo of MX 5

Mixcraft was the only one I could get to work and start ACTUAL recording :lol:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
lonwinters

Post by lonwinters »

I just spent my first twenty minutes with Mixcraft and then decided the puruse the forum. I have used Pro Tools for about ten years now, starting just before version 7 came out. Before that, I was still with ADAT and used the computer mostly for MIDI.

I was able to evaluate the main DAWs of the time - PT, Logic, Cubase and Sonar. I chose PT because only it and Logic had the better sound, and Logic was being moved to a Mac only platform.

I don't agree with the premise that all DAWs are just ones and zeros. I can't really back that up with science, just my ears. Which is kind of what it comes down to. To the original poster, if you spent 5 hours and couldn't get it to make a sound, then yes, I understand that frustration. I assume you made it over to the Avid forums to get help there? It's not that I think you should do this or that, but as long as you have the gear and software, at least work out the bugs, get it working and give it a fair evaluation.

When it comes to evaluating these things, there are objective and subjective perspectives. Features or lack thereof are more objective. Intuitveness is more subjective. Sound quality is both.

But so far, I'm impressed with Mixcraft - if for no other reason, what it can do for such a low price. I haven't worked with it enough yet to form an opinion beyond that.
geo524

Post by geo524 »

I never bought into PT due to Digi-Design's, now Avid's business model but I have demoed several DAWS and I own 3 others plus MC7 Pro Studio. I bought a license for MC5 when it came out but was already a Sonar user which I've pretty much stayed with. I have Sonar Platinum and it is excellent. That said I have to admit I am really enjoying the simplicity and quality of MixCraft. I've recently upgraded to MC7 and have already recorded about 8 songs. MixCraft still needs some work but in all honesty it's very capable of putting out a great product as it is now not to mention its been a real joy to work with. Its also been very stable on my main audio rig. Omnisphere 2 drops out in Sonar no matter what settings I use but so far it has been running excellent in MixCraft. Being you've already invested money in PT I'd keep it but I'd get MixCraft too. I believe there's lots of good things in store for the future and the price is so worth it.
Win 10x64; Reaper; MixCraft 9 Pro; AMD FX4100 x4; 3.8GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2; SSD 1TB; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitors; Kali LP 8 monitors

Post by 7915983 »

Goodison

Post by Goodison »

I found ProTools a real pain to work with. Mixcraft is so easy to use and I believe that ProTools` designers make their software difficult to use deliberately so that it appears high-end recording and unique etc.
This has been done before with the likes of Cubase.

The thing is is that the sound quality is high with ProTools. There is a slight edge to guitar sounds. Subtle but there. Maybe not worth the hassle though. Why make it all so awkward to use? It really is quite amusingingly difficult to work with.

I recommend Mixcraft with quality outboard gear. This way you can beat ProTools for sound quality. Spend your money on quality instruments. Simple really.
Goodison

Post by Goodison »

ProTools does have about 10% better sound quality than Mixcraft but the program is a nightmare. Has to be intentional to look really clever. It is not clever. Just annoying. I have just purchased Mixcraft 7 and it is a dream! Also bought hardware - EQs and Compressors. Sounds as good as ProTools with the outboard gear. Spending money on an expensive guitar next.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

As far as I understand, DAW's simply process 1's and 0's and therefore has nothing to do with sound quality per se.

This video is useful - find a DAW that works for you and stick with it :wink:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
geo524

Post by geo524 »

Yup. 0's and 1's. DAWS themselves do not sound any better or worse. On a level playing field, room, mics, pres, interface, console, bit depth, sample rate, pan laws, engineer, musicians, etc... they all sound the same. The game changer is when you start to add plugins and effects. This and all the above mentioned is what makes one DAW sound different from another. If you did a null test that will put the "my DAW" sounds better than "your Daw" to rest. :D
Win 10x64; Reaper; MixCraft 9 Pro; AMD FX4100 x4; 3.8GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2; SSD 1TB; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitors; Kali LP 8 monitors