Description of Pro Studio Reverb controls available?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Andrew Jeffries

Description of Pro Studio Reverb controls available?

Post by Andrew Jeffries »

I'm missing something, obviously.
Am I a dummy for not immediately understanding a controsl marked "Liveness" and "Diffusion"?
Cool names! But the Mixcraft 7 PDF tells me nothing.
Is there an explanation of the controls of the VSTs included with Mixcraft?

Thank you for Mixcraft!
You guys rock.
Andrew
aquataur

Re: Description of Pro Studio Reverb controls available?

Post by aquataur »

Some plugins are more "technically" oriented, meaning they show you the parameters that can be tweaked by their technical function, such as "reverb tail high pass filtering". This is what your "liveliness" control probably does.

A reverb sounds more "lively" if it contains a lot of high frequency in its tail, whereas a dull reverb tail that only passes low frequencies sounds more distant. HF does not travel that well and gets lost in the air quicker.

Of course in a real space every present object would reflect a wave of its own and thus tend to diffuse the reverb. Since reverb is all about space simulation, they probably hide parameters like early reflection, predelay and echo, or a combination thereof, behind this control.

Sometimes those "flowery" names on one-knob or two-knob plugins are great to dial in a suitable tone, sometimes they are a curse.

I personally prefer technical descriptions of the parameters, so that you can know what to tweak, but you might get lost in the possiblities as well...

-helmut
C# or Bb!