Vocal Compressor

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Rambler40

Vocal Compressor

Post by Rambler40 »

Hi guys, question about vocal compressors. I'm pretty limited in my understanding of the subject so bear with me. I've read that a hardware compressor is the best way to go for vocals. I use a condenser mic plugged into a Presonus Audiobox. I've realized that I have to try and keep my voice very even and at the same volume to keep the recorded audio from clipping. So here's the question. What is the best device to get that I can insert between the mic and the recording interface? The connector is XLR and I don't want to spend a pile of money as I'm just an amateur home recorder. Or is there a way to do it effectively with software? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
freightgod

Re: Vocal Compressor

Post by freightgod »

Misplaced advice but, true answer is insert as little as possible between your mic and your interface, preferably nothing. This is not a snarky answer when I say I'm just now fully appreciating, after 50 years of dabbling, the importance of voice control, so for every buck you spend on hardware, promise yourself an hour in front of a mike learning voice control.

That being said, if you're using Mixcraft, then you have tons of high quality, non-destructive, super-effective, free options awaiting you in the box, or just a Google away...

THAT being said, if you're not using Mixcraft, then there's my answer! Give it a trial...free, BTW
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

it depends on what you consider "a ton of money". there are some good compressors in the $200-$400 range but the Classic Compressor vst in Mixcraft is good enough.

it's the end result that matters & no matter how you do it it will have compression in the final mixdown.

that said,the above is correct,nothing can account for more than proper mic technique to begin with. :wink:
Rambler40

Post by Rambler40 »

I should have mentioned that I'm using Mixctaft 7 Pro Studio. I realize vocal control is important but sometimes when I get really into singing, I forget myself and over do it, then I'm messing with the mic gain endlessly trying to find a happy medium.

So, another question. Is it possible to have a software compressor in Mixcraft do it's magic to my vocals before they are recorded. Might seem like a dumb question, but my reading about it online has left me more confused than anything.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

No, not a dumb question, and I wasn't getting on a soapbox, I've got so much to learn and practice myself...

I'm not sure there would be any benefit to applying compression before your recording, is it so that you hear what you're expecting as you record? Otherwise, applying compression after your recording leaves all your options open, and has the same result. I guess? Sorry if I'm not being helpful.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

freightgod wrote:No, not a dumb question, and I wasn't getting on a soapbox, I've got so much to learn and practice myself...

I'm not sure there would be any benefit to applying compression before your recording, is it so that you hear what you're expecting as you record? Otherwise, applying compression after your recording leaves all your options open, and has the same result. I guess? Sorry if I'm not being helpful.
no but if you want to hear/see it as you're tracking or mic checking just click the monitor button and do a couple of test runs.

as far as levelling goes, automation (DAW) or "riding the faders" before/during FINAL mixdown (analog tape recording) is just part of the process.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Another work around for compensating for vocal control is to set your gain to be just below clipping at your loudest anticipated volume. You can always bring up the volume of the low passages or decrease the spiked volume of the louder passages after recording. By setting up for and anticipating loud passages , you'll avoid clipping.
Rambler40

Post by Rambler40 »

All good advice guys, thanks a lot. Setting the gain in advance to compensate for the loudest anticipated volume is a good idea. I really don't have much experience with compression anyway so I will just have to learn some better vocal control as well. That's why I like this forum, so many helpful people all with the same goal.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Rambler40 wrote: I really don't have much experience with compression anyway so I will just have to learn some better vocal control as well.
How long have you been singing? As far as devices between the mic and the equipment, what about a pop screen? It can be placed just beyond the clip zone and then think about backing off when you want to wail. A free clothes hanger and a nylon pantyhose might just make the difference, and all it costs is a little sweet talk, that is, unless you're into panty hose.
Rambler40

Post by Rambler40 »

Yup, I made a pop filter. Like these other guys said though, I have to learn vocal control and techniques for singing instead of using compressors as a crutch. I'm not much of a singer, more of a bathtub tenor if you know what I mean so I'm pretty unskilled in the ways of controlled delivery, ha ha.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Welcome to the bathtub, buddy! Erm, I mean, um...

So anyway, look forward to hearing something on Soundcloud from you, welcome aboard!
Rambler40

Post by Rambler40 »

Thanks, I was on these forums previously and for several reasons I took a break from recording music for the last 8 months. Then I saw that Acoustica came out with Mixcraft 7 with 64 bit support and that got me itching to get back into it so you'll likely see (read?) a lot more from me in the days to come. Part of the reason I took a break was that I wanted to know everything about recording in a short amount of time and got frustrated with the learning curve sometimes. Everything to do with this stuff, for me at least, requires a lot of reading and I don't have oodles of time to spend on it every day. It takes me dozens of hours to make a single multitrack song and get it to where I was happy with it.

Factor in the wife getting on my case for plinking on my guitar all day and spending hours and hours working on drum tracks instead of doing all the man stuff around the house. In short, I got burned out. Anyway, I'm getting way off track.
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Check out http://therecordingrevolution.com/. When I started using a DAW I had the tendancy to use the same rules I used back in the analog days. Trying to find that magical level as close to 0 as possible. But with a DAW you should generally be - 8 or -10 on incoming audio. Seemed foreign to me at first, but it has made a big impact. Make it up in your compressor or eq output.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Rambler40 wrote: Like these other guys said though, I have to learn vocal control and techniques for singing instead of using compressors as a crutch. I'm not much of a singer, more of a bathtub tenor if you know what I mean so I'm pretty unskilled in the ways of controlled delivery, ha ha.
Would you consider yourself as having a loud voice or, the converse? A compressor may be more of a necessity in case of the latter.

How accustomed are you to hearing your own voice amplified?
Rambler40

Post by Rambler40 »

Mab098157 wrote:Check out http://therecordingrevolution.com/. When I started using a DAW I had the tendancy to use the same rules I used back in the analog days. Trying to find that magical level as close to 0 as possible. But with a DAW you should generally be - 8 or -10 on incoming audio. Seemed foreign to me at first, but it has made a big impact. Make it up in your compressor or eq output.
Thanks for the link! Information like this is what I need to start reading.

AHornsby wrote:Would you consider yourself as having a loud voice or, the converse? A compressor may be more of a necessity in case of the latter.

How accustomed are you to hearing your own voice amplified?
Sometimes I get overly "into it" and really start belting it out, Ethel Merman style. Other times I'm probably too quiet or I'm not moving closer to the mic when I am quieter. Definitely not a huge fan of my voice as it sounds recorded. :lol:

I don't think I was cut out to be a good singer, but I get sick of all my songs being instrumentals.