Guitar Pro 6

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Guitar Pro 6

Post by BillW »

Very open ended question but I'm considering buying this. But I'm not sure what value it has.

I know I can load tabs and have it play them slowed down for learning. But my guitar tab software has a tab pro interface that does the same thing.

I can use it to write tabs but that's all manual. That is it doesn't transcribe what I am playing so that's of limited value.

Does anyone here use it? If so, for what? Can anyone talk me into or talk me out of buying this?

Thanks much.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Rolling Estonian

Re: Guitar Pro 6

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I used to use it when I was first learning guitar. For me it was a good way to get an idea of a songs chords, tabs etc. There are free files floating around out there that have 100k+ songs which is kind of cool. Now with tab sites, YouTube and other resources I don't even have it installed on my system anymore.......

M
Matt102583

Post by Matt102583 »

The main thing I use it for these days is the midi drum track. Say If I want to record a cover song, usually you can find a guitar pro file where someone has mapped out the drum parts, I then export the file as Midi, drag that into mixcraft and then delete whatever tracks I don't wanna use then go and use EZdrummer or something on the drum track. works great.
GrizzKarizz

Post by GrizzKarizz »

I quite like Guitar Pro. I use it to make tabs for my band mates, and to learn solos and stuff. It is pricey though.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

I have used Guitar Pro 6 (although I prefer Guitar Pro 5 for some reason!)

There is a very good free tab editor out there called TuxGuitar (it will even read Guitar Pro files). Have a look here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxguitar/

I agree that it is a great way of getting drum parts (and in my case the bass parts as well). At least it provides a great starting point.

Cheers

John
Rolling Estonian

Interesting about the use of drum track, I'll have to try that out. I used to just mute all the tracks I didn't want and play along with the tune. Like I said you can find tons of GP files out there.

M
BillW

Post by BillW »

Never thought about the drum track idea.

Plus I see they have an app for tablets as well.

The price on Amazon is about $40 which is not outrageous. I think I'll pull the trigger on it.

Thanks very much for all the feedback. (Guitar..feedback...get it?)
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Rolling Estonian

Let us know how you like the new version.

A good site: www.gprotab.net

M