Clips/Piano Roll help

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GenjiHarvester

Clips/Piano Roll help

Post by GenjiHarvester »

When clicking on a virtual instrument clip to call up the corresponding docked piano roll view below, is there a way to make the measure numbers shown in the piano roll view correspond to the measure numbers of the overall project? Instead of each one starting at "measure 1" no matter where in the project it's been created/moved to? Of course you can change the current position in the song and look for the green cursor to get your bearings, but I find that things can get very disorienting when the measure numbers don't correspond.

I find that when you start bringing time signature changes into play it gets even more confusing. The affected clips won't reflect the changes. In the piano roll view it's all just based on what the beats-per-measure were when you originally created the clip. So if I have two measures, each in a different meter, even if I create two separate clips after the time sig changes have been inserted into the project and "merge" the two (say, because I want readily visible "pick ups" to the next measure, or I want some visible notes right before the measure in order to key-switch different articulations for that virtual instrument) the overall beats-per-measure are still coming out screwy and things aren't lining up properly. For instance, I have a bar of 8/8 (just wanted two extra beats before a transition point in the song while maintaining some sustained notes though most of that space) and then a bar of 6/8, and merging the clips makes everything 4/8.

And if I just elongate the the clip for the bar of 6/8 two beats to the left, the piano roll view still isn't reflecting that, whether docked or undocked. It's like I can't go any farther left from the exact point where the clip was created.

I hope I'm just missing a mundane detail or two, because it's frustrating getting so disoriented over all this when the software is otherwise so intuitive. Thanks for any pointers.
clavguy

Re: Clips/Piano Roll help

Post by clavguy »

GenjiHarvester wrote:When clicking on a virtual instrument clip to call up the corresponding docked piano roll view below, is there a way to make the measure numbers shown in the piano roll view correspond to the measure numbers of the overall project? Instead of each one starting at "measure 1" no matter where in the project it's been created/moved to? Of course you can change the current position in the song and look for the green cursor to get your bearings, but I find that things can get very disorienting when the measure numbers don't correspond.
I have noticed this too and I agree.