Setting Levels for ASIO devices

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

FlyingsCool

Setting Levels for ASIO devices

Post by FlyingsCool »

Hi,

I just want to make sure I'm getting this right. I've got a Focusrite 6i6.
It has 4 analog inputs, 2 with a preamp and an input level control, and 2 line inputs with the choice of either hi or lo gain.

As I understand it, in ASIO mode, the level controls in Mixcraft do not perform any function except to set the output levels of the tracks to the Master Mix. The input levels are controlled solely at the interface end. So basically, it doesn't matter what I set the level controls in Mixcraft too when the tracks are armed as far as what the input level is going to be. Is that correct?

Having done some recording now, that actually works better for me, unless the arm level is separate from the mix level in non-ASIO devices, since, I'd like to keep the input levels high, but then lower them for the mix, so I don't have to keep moving them back and forth for recording levels vs mixing levels, and having them set at the mixing levels during recording is good for when I'm monitoring the mix from the DAW side, as opposed to monitoring the input directly.

I'm still working on understanding how to set what on recording, but I'll ask that another day...

Thanks,

Tom
TrevsAudio

Re: Setting Levels for ASIO devices

Post by TrevsAudio »

If you hit the 'monitor' button, you can see and set the levels from your interface before recording.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (54.7 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio