Bad random noise when recording

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

w1av

Bad random noise when recording

Post by w1av »

I am having a very bad random NOISE pop up unexpectedly while recording. Here is the sound:

https://soundcloud.com/rockjamband13/noise

NOTE: This sound clip is posted on the Soundcloud website...as soon as this sound ends the next SONG on the playlist starts. I don't know how to disable auto-play on Soundcloud so please pardon the pop song that comes on immediately following the horrible noise! :shock:

Here is what the sound looks like on time line when expanded:

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/w1 ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Here it is as it looks on the timeline with some normal audio, you can see the small square block at beginning and end of this segment of music:

My computer runs 64 bit Win 7 with 8Gig ram. I seriously doubt I should have any issues as far as latency and related problems. However I am not sure what to set the buffers at. I use a Steinberg UR 22 interface. I always use ASIO when recording. I am using the Steinberg ASIO drive set at 128 samples....not sure what to keep this at. It goes as low as 64 and as high as 2048. This noise is completely random....I never know when it is going to pop up while recording. Sometimes it happens right on top of a recorded musical sound, or in an empty space on time line. It does it regardless of which input I use, MIDI, a microphone (condenser or dynamic) or lined in guitar. The noise sounds like some kind of electrical interference, a "ZAP" kind of sound. We have no fluorescent lights. I never had this issue before, just with the 64 bit compatible Mixcraft. I tried using the 32 bit but the program didnt display right. Any ideas or what else I can check? Bob
w1av

Re: Bad random noise when recording

Post by w1av »

EDIT: Do you think the VIRUS SCAN program could be causing this? I am using the Microsoft Security Essentials that came with my Win 7 installation. Maybe when these virus programs do their thing, if they happen to scan certain files, like maybe when I am recording it can create this noise?
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Did you buy the Steinberg interface new?

Also, what might seem to be a 'random' occurrence in one program could actually be an issue driven by the timing of another program running in the background. An example of that might be your screensaver or auto update software.

Since I've used these tips I've had some really smooth sailing... http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... windows-7/
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Not trying to insult intelligence but have you checked off the easy stuff? Drivers all updated? Any interference issues or issues with power? Any new programs or plugins that may not be playing nice? Have you tried another usb input or different usb cord? Using a hub or any other device?

Whenever something goes wrong with electronics with me, I usually freak out and don't start with the very basic and work up trying everything and eliminating everything I can before really digging in. I'm getting better but still tend to think worst case scenario, which it usually isn't.

Anyway, I hope it's something pretty simple, I'm sure it is.

M
mick

Post by mick »

There are almost 60 spikes on the waveform and it last almost one second, if your power supply is 60 hz there's a clue. It definitely sounds like mains interference and you would/could get this when an appliance is starting, maybe a freezer or something? in which case the earthing to your equipment is compromised somehow. . there's a long list of crazy stuff to check in this situation but maybe this will help.
http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/ground.htm
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

it almost sounds like you're bumping a dirty or faulty input jack on a guitar or whatever instrument you're using @ the time.
could something not be grouded properly?
a bad usb or other cable could do that too.

since it's any instrument I would start @ the interface & go from there.
do you have a backup interface or a way to record directly to the computer Line or Mic in to see if it still does it?

I have both MS Essentials & Avast real time & they don't bother my system.

the very first thing I would do is thoroughly dust the computer & blow out all it's input/output slots w/ canned air. be sure to unplug it first. :wink:
w1av

Post by w1av »

OK I did trouble shoot all the cables and no problem with them. I also did the things on the checklist from Ahornsby. Drivers should all be good cause computer was upgraded in the Fall. I am wondering if I should invest in a power conditioner or some kind of AC filter power strip. I have a bunch of ferrite chokes that snap on the AC cable I could try. I could put them on the AC cables for monitor, computer, speaker leads, etc. I only have had this issue with Mixcraft 7. Never had it with 6, but I also never ran 6 much with Win 7 anyway. I am thinking if I try Mixcraft 32 bit instead. I have had some minor issues with bridging the 64/32 bit vsts. There are a couple of offending ones. Also I only experience this noise using mixcraft....I was watching Youtube videos, listening to my own music, etc and no problems. I did run a 1 minute test guitar track last night after going thru the list of computer tips that Ahornsby recommended and there was no noise in that sound clip I made. So I will test further tonight.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Apparently, Steinberg is aware that there are some defective units out there so, now what are you going to do? I'm thinking that it's somewhere in the phantom power pre-amp circuit.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end ... -ur22.html
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Can you test the unit on another computer? Then a computer in a different location. This would rule out either the unit or your computer.

M
DutyHead

Post by DutyHead »

w1av

Unplug your usb i/o.
try using your wave rt driver with your internal sound card and mic. with the volume turned down.
record a track for five minutes or longer and then playback while listening for this noise. If it happens, then it's not the i/o.

Something like this happened to me only to find out it really was the USB to I/O cable.
Hope this helps.
DutyHead
w1av

Re: Bad random noise when recording UPDATE!

Post by w1av »

UPDATE!

I think I have found a solution. I bought a Roland GR 55 guitar synthesizer last week. After I installed the USB driver I noticed Mixcraft had slowed down considerably. I can't say it was directly from the USB driver from Roland, but I did notice right after I installed the driver, when I opened mixcraft it took at least 20 seconds for the tracks to appear. Actually it took a while before any of the interface appeared! Then when it did it took forever to arm a track...or to pull down the settings menu.
I uninstalled the USB driver because it didnt work the way I wanted it to anyway. I can still use the GR 55 as an accessory when if I want to record a track(s) using the synthesizer, I can by plugging the output into the input of my interface. The USB driver only allowed me to use the synth, via guitar to play the instruments (VST's) in Mixcraft. But they worked too buggy.
Anyway I was so frustrated I uninstalled Mixcraft. I had been using the 64 bit compatible Version 7. I thought why not try the 32 bit version. My computer runs Win 7 64 bit.
Apparently the 32 bit version ran perfectly...no more noise or lagging. I guess the 64 bit compatible has some issues. It was working fine before I installed the Roland USB driver!
So maybe some computers will/will not run the 64 bit version. I recorded a whole new song and had no noise. :lol:
AHornsby

Re: Bad random noise when recording UPDATE!

Post by AHornsby »

w1av wrote:UPDATE!

I recorded a whole new song and had no noise. :lol:
That's great considering what's been going on with the TOP 40 these days!

Is the Steinberg interface out of the equation now or are you using it successfully?
w1av

Post by w1av »

I am still using the Steinberg....I also did some computer tweaking. recorded a few more tunes with NO NOISE. It mighta been an incompatibility issue with the 64 bit Mixcraft version.