Possible defective interface?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

w1av

Possible defective interface?

Post by w1av »

Well, interesting article! The reason I bought the Steinberg was because all the M-Audio stuff, which I had used for a long time, seemed to be getting cheaper and flimsier. The Steinberg got good reviews and was built much better. So anyway, last night I put a bunch of ferrite chokes on all the power leads, speaker cables, etc. I have not done a test recording yet. I have researched a NEW interface....so far the Roland Quad Capture is lookin' good. But it is $269. I suppose if things get bad enough I may have to look in to getting a new interface. But I just spent $$$$$$ on a Roland GR 55 guitar synth and I had a car repair bill for $400 so I am financially weak till I pay these off. I suppose I could call Steinberg and complain. But nothing will come of it and it is too late to return the unit. I don't get any low frequency buzzing or noise.....mostly dead quiet except for those damn spikes like in the pictures above. I will do more experiments with it in the coming weeks. Thanks for all the input.
AHornsby

Re: Possible defective interface?

Post by AHornsby »

A loosely compiled consensus (among Mixcraft users) seems to be on the Focusrite line but I recently -- being somewhat new to this aspect of production -- found a new (demo) Presonus Audiobox online at one of the big musician outlets, for $90. (STILL too much!) It's been fine though and no complaints. (Quality knobs!)

I currently have the Presonus factory sealed 'Studio ONE Artist' DAW software -- that came free with it, now on (Tulsa) Craigslist for $35. (I thought I'd have THAT sold by now... it's been a while.)

So, there's a moral to this story but I'll be danged if I can find it.

Maybe it's the fact that he Germans aren't perfect... yet.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

what is the store's return policy? the thing should have a factory warranty too.
personally,I keep a backup A.I. just in case. it sucks when the creative mojo is working & your gear is not. :roll:
w1av

Post by w1av »

A spare interface is a good idea. I think my problem is getting confused with another problem with this unit. There is a website where you can send in your name and the model/serial # of the interface. Steinberg claims they will help in some way. My problem is not the one that is mostly publicized...the problem I am reading about is a NOISY unit...a hum, or static. My problem is just very random spikes of a noise that sounds like an electrical "ZAP!".....It is not frequent and I can usually mute it out of timeline unless it happens on a recorded signal. Then I have to redo the track. Or portion of the track. Definitely not a fault of Mixcraft. I may look into buying another interface this summer.
w1av

Post by w1av »

gypsy101....I listened to your songs on reverbnation!!! Very nice rockin' stuff!
outteh

Post by outteh »

Do you have your stuff plugged into a line conditioner or isolation ac unit? This helps a lot with even isolating noisy units.