Steven Slate Drummer Plugin

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

MusicManMike

Steven Slate Drummer Plugin

Post by MusicManMike »

I have been using Mixcraft for 5+ years. I have been using the slate drummer plugin for maybe 2 years. I ran into a problem while mixing a track for a friend of mine... I have created all of the drums and they worked fine until I had to add an extra few bars to the song. The symbols and pretty much all of the "shine's" just stopped playing. Kick, snare and toms are still playing fine. All of the midi notes are there for the symbols and high hat, they just aren't playing with the mix. What am I missing here?

I have installed the latest updates. I have tried copying the drums and replacing them but nothing above a D1 on my keyboard will play after the 150 bar. everything plays fine up until that point. I am really frustrated with this. I have saved and restarted, restarted my computer... nothing is working.

I have never had this problem. I am thinking about swapping to Pro-Tools if I can't get this resolved. I really like MixCraft 7, But this is a stupid problem that I should not be having to deal with.
AHornsby

Re: Steven Slate Drummer Plugin

Post by AHornsby »

MusicManMike wrote: The symbols and pretty much all of the "shine's" just stopped playing. Kick, snare and toms are still playing fine.
Let me get this straight. You've been working with Mixcraft for 5 years?
MusicManMike

Post by MusicManMike »

AHornsby wrote:
MusicManMike wrote: The symbols and pretty much all of the "shine's" just stopped playing. Kick, snare and toms are still playing fine.
Let me get this straight. You've been working with Mixcraft for 5 years?

Yes. Also, just to be clear, I am not a professional at this. I have only been using midi based drums for a couple of years. This is also all been done on the same PC. No transfers from someone else.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well Mike, I've been using Mixcraft for almost 4 years, mixing and doing sound since the very early 1980's, playing and performing since about 1970 and somehow I have never heard of "shines" or heard cymbals called symbals. :lol:
Just ribbing you, but seriously, a comment that sounds like you are "threatening" to switch to Pro Tools doesn't really help. All you are going to get is encouragement to go ahead. After all its so much easier to use and all..... :roll:

If you work with us a bit it can probably be sorted out.
I don't use, nor am I familiar with Slates stuff, far too rich for my blood. But I would suggest taking a look at what step caused the problem.
I would probably "undo" or retrace back to when the project worked correctly, and try to figure out what caused things to go wrong. Could be a Mixcraft thing, could be a Slate thing, could be an operator mistake, could be a fluke of luck or an alignment of the planets. The later seems to happen to me on a regular basis. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
MusicManMike

Post by MusicManMike »

Mark Bliss wrote:Well Mike, I've been using Mixcraft for almost 4 years, mixing and doing sound since the very early 1980's, playing and performing since about 1970 and somehow I have never heard of "shines" or heard cymbals called symbals. :lol:
Just ribbing you, but seriously, a comment that sounds like you are "threatening" to switch to Pro Tools doesn't really help. All you are going to get is encouragement to go ahead. After all its so much easier to use and all..... :roll:

If you work with us a bit it can probably be sorted out.
I don't use, nor am I familiar with Slates stuff, far too rich for my blood. But I would suggest taking a look at what step caused the problem.
I would probably "undo" or retrace back to when the project worked correctly, and try to figure out what caused things to go wrong. Could be a Mixcraft thing, could be a Slate thing, could be an operator mistake, could be a fluke of luck or an alignment of the planets. The later seems to happen to me on a regular basis. 8)
Wow. Sorry. I was a little on the tipsy side when I misspelled "cymbals". Also, Switching to Pro Tools was not a "threat". Vodka makes me say and spell things haphazardly. lol.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix the problem. I have used the "undo" function past my four bar extension. I may have a completely corrupt file. I don't think it is Mixcraft or Slate. It may just be bad luck on my part.

I have even tried replaying the parts and entering them into the midi fields, but as I stated earlier, nothing above my D1 key will play. I have checked the keyboard on other files that I have and they are all fine. It's just this one. So I will start over if I have to.

I'll eventually figure it out, and if I do, I'll make sure to post an update. Thanks.
outteh

Post by outteh »

How did you add the bars to your existing midi file? Did you attempt to do a merge of the files? You may be running into a crossed midi drum map or some similar anomaly. Was it the same drum set and map used to create the original bars as used to make the add on bars? What happens if you just put the add on bars onto another track?
MusicManMike

Post by MusicManMike »

outteh wrote:How did you add the bars to your existing midi file? Did you attempt to do a merge of the files? You may be running into a crossed midi drum map or some similar anomaly. Was it the same drum set and map used to create the original bars as used to make the add on bars? What happens if you just put the add on bars onto another track?

First of all... Crisis averted. I have fixed the problem. But just for future reference, The song I am working on has a few time signature changes. First rule of adding bars in mixcraft with time signature and tempo changes "Always select the time to add at the top of the mix screen and select add selected time". I did not do this the first time around which caused me to run into time signature and tempo problems later in the mix.

As far as the problem being fixed... one of the best things about Mixcraft is the automatic backup feature. I just found a recent backup that did not contain the corruption and worked with it.

I guess I won't have to go with the super user friendly Pro Tools after all.. :roll: LOL

And just for reference, it was the same map. No other track was involved. and there was not a crossed midi drum map. I know about those type problems. Thanks for the input. Maybe this can help someone in the future.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Be sure to scrutinize this area in the VSTi input settings, as well as any similar parameters in the VSTi itself.
Key in range.jpg
Key in range.jpg (15.48 KiB) Viewed 6341 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Oops, crossed posts.
Glad to hear you found it. Now go play some symbals. :D
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
MusicManMike

Post by MusicManMike »

Mark Bliss wrote:Oops, crossed posts.
Glad to hear you found it. Now go play some symbals. :D
LOL... Still very relevant information for this post! Thanks again! 8)
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Mark Bliss wrote: Glad to hear you found it. Now go play some symbals. :D
... and make mine a double Don Julio.
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

Hey MusicManMike,

Welcome to the forum....I know what it's like to get all frustrated with a tech problem at the end of a day( after a few drinks :).)Glad you got everything sorted out.FWIW I'm a Slate fan myself,,been using Slate Trigger with Mixcraft for a few years now with no problems.