Can more ram help me?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

DutyHead

Can more ram help me?

Post by DutyHead »

Hello everyone,

I use mc7 64bit with windows 8.1 and 8Gb of ram. I notice that my projects have a very high amount of mc 32bit hosts as well as a high track count (30 or more).
Not that i have a ram problem. I just wanted to look ahead.
My question is : can my daw benefit from the use of more ram.
DutyHead
MusicMeister

Re: Can more ram help me?

Post by MusicMeister »

more ram will always be better...but you should check your ram usage when your entire project is loaded in mixcraft. If it is like 90% or above total you should probably get more ram, but anything less means you have enough ram doesnt it? :)
DutyHead

Post by DutyHead »

MusicMeister

Thanks for your reply. my memory currently runs at about 45% in my current projects. That's the reason for asking.

DutyHead
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

If everything is running fine as it is I wouldn't worry at the moment. However one thing you might consider is also installing the 32 bit version of Mixcraft (it will happily coexist on your hard drive with the 64 bit version). I know this sounds counter intuitive - surely 64 bit = better ? You mention that your projects use a high proportion of 32 bit plugins - if you are using 64 bit Mixcraft then each of those 32 bit plugins is being "wrapped" in order to work in a 64 environment and this can have a detrimental effect on you your system overheads.

I would still go with the principle of "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" but don't think that you need to slavishly stick to the 64 bit version assuming that it will be the better option - it isn't always.

BTW the fact that you have a 64 bit OS doesn't mean that you cant run the 32 bit version.

Cheers

John
chibear

Post by chibear »

DutyHead wrote:I just wanted to look ahead.
DutyHead
Kind of depends on what you see ahead for you in the near future. Do you covet some of the RAM -hungry 3rd party Kontakt vsti's for instance or are you happy with what you have now? Remember also that many of those 32 bit VSTs are going to turn into 64 bit before long. Also, IMO, 45% RAM use is a bit high for artifact-free rendering. Do you produce stems before your final mixdown? All those and more need to be considered.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
DutyHead

Post by DutyHead »

Fredfish,

Thanks for your reply.
While my machine is not dedicated to MC7 i've waited a long time for this 64 bit program and would rather it be the only daw that i use.
I think i'll go with you when you say, "If it ain't broke".
Thanks for your comments.

DutyHead
DutyHead

Post by DutyHead »

Chibear,

Thanks for your reply.

I'am glad to hear that those 32 bit vst's will become 64 before long.
And yes, stem mixing is a beautiful thing and I only use a few third party vsti's my projects so i guess that's a good thing.
I found your comments very useful. Thanks alot.

DutyHead
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

DutyHead wrote:Hello everyone,

I use mc7 64bit with windows 8.1 and 8Gb of ram. I notice that my projects have a very high amount of mc 32bit hosts as well as a high track count (30 or more).
Not that i have a ram problem. I just wanted to look ahead.
DutyHead

questions-
is your comp "optimized" for use as a DAW?
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... .1+for+daw

do you freeze idle tracks? (tracks you are not currenty working on)

multiple instances of the same vst effect being used when you could narrow it down or use a single Submix track instance.

more RAM never hurts but maybe a more effecient processor upgrade might be a better option.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Since you already have 8 GB of RAM, there's a chance that more RAM won't make a noticeable difference. Having a fast, multi-core processor and a fast hard drive (7200 RPM) might be what's needed. It depends on what kind of issue you run into, what plugins you're using, etc.

But of course, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Greg
DutyHead

Post by DutyHead »

Thanks Greg, Gypsy and the entire Acoustica forum,

Your comments are always great and useful. I will continue to use this forum for all of my Mixcraft questions and hopefully answer a few as i get better at the recording arts.

DutyHead