Turn down every track's volume at once?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Turn down every track's volume at once?

Post by BillW »

My mix is coming along nicely. The high pass filter did much to improve things. Found I didn't need much more eq than that.

Now I'm into a "volume war" of sorts. I think this is not uncommon for beginners. I listen and think (for example) one guitar is too soft so I turn it up. Now the keys are too soft. Now the drums etc. Before you know it something is at or near the max.

So the idea would be to dial everything down and then try to balance. And then boost using the master track

So two questions. First, is there a way to turn every track down the same amount? I'd like everything to be softer but maintain the relative volume between tracks. I saw this in some video for some other product. I hope mixcraft has this.

Second, and more difficult in a way. Does anyone have any suggestions or rules of thumb as to where the volume shoukd be? Obviously depends on the style etc. But there must be something like "make sure you're highest volume is this level or less"

Thanks again everyone.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
RobertAllan

Re: Turn down every track's volume at once?

Post by RobertAllan »

BillW wrote:My mix is coming along nicely. The high pass filter did much to improve things. Found I didn't need much more eq than that.

Now I'm into a "volume war" of sorts. I think this is not uncommon for beginners. I listen and think (for example) one guitar is too soft so I turn it up. Now the keys are too soft. Now the drums etc. Before you know it something is at or near the max.

So the idea would be to dial everything down and then try to balance. And then boost using the master track

So two questions. First, is there a way to turn every track down the same amount? I'd like everything to be softer but maintain the relative volume between tracks. I saw this in some video for some other product. I hope mixcraft has this.

Second, and more difficult in a way. Does anyone have any suggestions or rules of thumb as to where the volume shoukd be? Obviously depends on the style etc. But there must be something like "make sure you're highest volume is this level or less"

Thanks again everyone.
Im sure theres tons of people on here with more knowledge of the subject then i do, and im not sure if this is even what your wondering,lol but i remember the first time i sent mixes out to be mastered,
the guy who was gonna do the final master tracks told me to send my mixes with the volume somewhere between -3db and -5db..

RobertAllan
DutyHead

Post by DutyHead »

Billw

The master fader maybe?

As for mixing volume levels, I also agree with many that say "mix drums first" and all else will fall in line.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

BillW wrote:My mix is coming along nicely. The high pass filter did much to improve things. Found I didn't need much more eq than that.

just look @ the level meters in the mixing board screen & adjust that way.

Thanks again everyone.
normally I shoot for track levels of -6 to -9db & Master Track level of around -3db (without any FX).
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

As far as I know there is as yet no way to bring all track volumes faders down simultaneously relative to each other in MX7

As a rule of thumb I always start a new project with the master fader down to -5db

The way I did it in the prev. album one time was to bring down by 10% (or 20 or 30% or whatever - its all in there) the individual track volumes which although a bit long winded produced the same results...make sure you choose the same % age for every track...
I suggest start with just 5% and go from there - Yes extremely tedious I know!

Or

I have also done this one - bring everything to ZERO or fairly low...make it all exactly the same volume

Then start with whatever instrument you prefer and re-mix levels from there....mixing with low monitor volumes and then at normal to loud volume + tweaking with headphones also helps me tremendously.

At normal/loud monitors (this is usually pre-master/master stage), I also move around the room to get a sense of the soundfield....sometimes if i'm stuck,I like to do something completely unrelated like have tea or check my texts etc whilst keeping half a ear on the mix, this helps me listen like the punters...don't forget to close your eyes and listen (in fact make it a habit) - you'll be surprised how much it helps!! :D

Hope this helps :)
BillW

Post by BillW »

Scythe:

Here's where I am lost. Since the faders are in dB - which is a logarithmic scale, how do I move each one down say 50%. I've read some conversion formulas (that seem wrong - or at least I don't get the answer that they do). I also read that -6dB is about a 50% reduction and +6dB is doubling. And that -12dB is 25%. That makes no sense - reduce by more decibels and you get LESS of a reduction?

A forum topic on this on Reaper got into a fight between the posters and reduced to ridicule etc. (glad I don't use Reaper and need help!)

I saw some DAW that you could select all the tracks, and move the faders down as a group. Seemed like a good feature.

See - I like the mix levels for the most part but they are ALL too loud. If I reduce one, and then another and another by what looks like the same amount, the balance will be lost.

I may as well start mixing all over (BTW - that's actually a good idea overall). And it may be I recorded it too loud to begin with (that is, turning it down may make it inaudible.

Once again, I get almost done and I realize there is something I did wrong out of ignorance that affects everything down the line. In this case, I may have not set the record volume properly to begin with.

But too late now for this song at least. Right now I need more headroom and it may be best to bring it all down and begin to set the levels again.

Thanks everyone for the help and many suggestions in the responses here.

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

-12dB isn't reducing by 25%, it's reducing down TO 25% of the original volume— -12dB is 25% of the volume that -0dB is at (100%).

If you're concerned over even volumes, you can change Mixcraft's meter mode from dB (logarithmic) to a simpler percent-based scale (linear), adjust the volumes all by a set amount (right click > set exact volume), and switch back [if you want to].
outteh

Post by outteh »

Look up gain staging on the web! Lot's of approaches of this aspect of mixing. Various ways to do it. :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Damnit, no time right now. I'll be back later today if possible. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

BillW

Post by BillW »

-12dB is 25% OF the volume - not 25% reduction. DUH! Ok - that's my one stupid thing for the day.

Yes - I've been reading on gain staging. Something I never thought of and never realized I should think of.

Strange there doesn't seem to be any Mixcraft videos on these basic concepts (gain staging - setting mix levels low etc. I'm sure it's in some but just not named as such.

I'm reading now on other sites taking care to set recording levels proper - to read the meters properly when recording - allow headroom both in the recording and in the mix.

And several articles detailing exactly my frustration of what I called a "volume war" between tracks.

Best hint I read - no brainer but obviously I'm not the only one who didn't realize this given the article and response: turn down the faders and turn UP the speakers / monitors. I've been listening at a fairly soft volume and mixing by turning up the faders. Dumb - but I guess I'm not the first.

I love the suggestions I've been getting in how to stage everything.

And I'll say it again - there are some real jerks on some of the other boards. I mean insult after insult when it's obvious the person asking the question knows he/she is ignorant (in the literal sense) and needs education.

Like me.

fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Bill

I really like the idea of being able to select multiple sliders and adjust them all at the same time - perhaps by shift clicking or selecting a range of tracks.

I for one would add my name to a feature request list for this one.

Cheers

John
outteh

Post by outteh »

Couldn't you use midi learn and select the same slider for volume control on multiple tracks?
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

outteh wrote:Couldn't you use midi learn and select the same slider for volume control on multiple tracks?
Now that sounds like a great idea! I will give it a try.

Cheers Tom

John
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

outteh wrote:Couldn't you use midi learn and select the same slider for volume control on multiple tracks?
At dinner but would LOVE to know if this works!

And Bill W, please keep asking your questions, I'm in the same boat as you and always read through your question threads! So don't feel bad at all!

M