Exclusive Mode with USB Audio Output?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

andeejoyce

Post by andeejoyce »

Mixcraft 6 user with Windows 7 here. I have been having problems with the headphone jack on my laptop, and rather than spending $100 to get it fixed, I decided to use a USB headphone jack or my preamp for playing audio. It works fine when I'm not in exclusive mode, but if I want to put that latency down to 3 msec to record, it crashes Mixcraft and when I try to play already recorded files while in exclusive mode, all I hear is static. Is there a way to solve this? (I am using WaveRT if that's any help.) Thanks.
Brother Charles

Re: Exclusive Mode with USB Audio Output?

Post by Brother Charles »

andeejoyce wrote:Mixcraft 6 user with Windows 7 here. I have been having problems with the headphone jack on my laptop, and rather than spending $100 to get it fixed, I decided to use a USB headphone jack or my preamp for playing audio. It works fine when I'm not in exclusive mode, but if I want to put that latency down to 3 msec to record, it crashes Mixcraft and when I try to play already recorded files while in exclusive mode, all I hear is static. Is there a way to solve this? (I am using WaveRT if that's any help.) Thanks.
WaveRT & exclusive mode are in the domain of your onboard audio chipset, and only onboard chipset. I don't think that most USB audio interfaces need to rely on standard Windows drivers - you're best advised to consider a proper USB audio interface and ASIO drivers.

I understand that you don't want or unable to spend $$ right now, but unfortunately, that's what it's going to take. :?
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

An audio interface that provides its own ASIO drivers is your best bet, but for now, you could check and see if there are any updated audio drivers available for your sound device. Check the computer or soundcard manufacturer's web page in the support/download area.

Greg
andeejoyce

Post by andeejoyce »

Thanks! Do you guys have recommendations for what audio interface to buy? I don't have thousands of dollars to throw around, but if there's something that isn't ridiculously expensive, I'd definitely consider it. I've been a little annoyed with the stuttering problems I've been having when recording audio, even when my headphone jack was working, so if I had a choice between spending $100 to get it fixed or buying a new audio interface, it sounds like my better bet is the latter.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

I've been using the Presonus Audiobox USB interface for quite some time now and I am very happy with it... Two audio channels plus MIDI
Anywhere from $100 to $130 depending on where you get it.

Cheers
Pierre
Brother Charles

Oy! Dear, andeejoyce. It's never any fun having to buy new gear. Fun, maybe . . But never easy on the average guy's wallet.

I agree with clavguy: a PreSonus USB 2 interface would do well. I recommend the 22VSL. I have a 44VSL - it's great. I also have a Focusrite 2i4. The Focusrite maybe even sounds a wee bit better, especially where mic pres are concerned. However, the PreSonus uses a power adapter so you don't have to draw 48v phantom power from your USB bus.

Both devices are REALLY good and fit the $200 - $275 price range.

PS.
Both companies provide excellent, stable ASIO drivers - not all interfaces can make this boast.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
andeejoyce

Post by andeejoyce »

Thanks to both of you! Now, my question is: what is the advantage of having an audio interface that doesn't run on phantom USB power, as opposed to one you don't have to plug in? Is it that using the phantom power slows the computer's performance down?
Brother Charles

andeejoyce wrote:Thanks to both of you! Now, my question is: what is the advantage of having an audio interface that doesn't run on phantom USB power, as opposed to one you don't have to plug in? Is it that using the phantom power slows the computer's performance down?
It may not slow down CPU processing, but it *does* drain USB bus power. This can negatively impact workflow if you're using USB connected midi controllers, keyboards, and etcetera. On older systems, it might slow down CPU as well. :(

A lot of folks recommend that you NEVER connect a USB audio interface to a usb-hub. Nonetheless, if you use good quality SHORT USB3 cables and a quality *POWERED* USB3 hub, you should be ok.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
andeejoyce

Post by andeejoyce »

Brother Charles wrote:
andeejoyce wrote:Thanks to both of you! Now, my question is: what is the advantage of having an audio interface that doesn't run on phantom USB power, as opposed to one you don't have to plug in? Is it that using the phantom power slows the computer's performance down?
It may not slow down CPU processing, but it *does* drain USB bus power. This can negatively impact workflow if you're using USB connected midi controllers, keyboards, and etcetera. On older systems, it might slow down CPU as well. :(

A lot of folks recommend that you NEVER connect a USB audio interface to a usb-hub. Nonetheless, if you use good quality SHORT USB3 cables and a quality *POWERED* USB3 hub, you should be ok.
Interesting. So I looked at the tech specs for the PreSonus boxes, and it turns out that the 44 has an external power supply option but the 22 doesn't. Given that, and the fact that I'm not exactly a gearhead, if I had to choose between the 22 and the Focusrite 2i4, is there a reason to choose one or the other? (I record tracks one at a time, and use a mix of audio, including vocals and percussion, and MIDI, almost never pre-made loops. And I'm not a very loud singer.) The Focusrite is about $25 cheaper, but is one more user-friendly than the other, perhaps? Thanks for answering all my questions.
Brother Charles

Truth be told, the Scarlet 2i4 is a very nice piece of kit. Excellent mic pres. You would also receive a really nice little collection of some good quality Focusrite "Scarlet" and "Red" plug-ins.
andeejoyce wrote: Interesting. So I looked at the tech specs for the PreSonus boxes, and it turns out that the 44 has an external power supply option but the 22 doesn't. Given that, and the fact that I'm not exactly a gearhead, if I had to choose between the 22 and the Focusrite 2i4, is there a reason to choose one or the other? (I record tracks one at a time, and use a mix of audio, including vocals and percussion, and MIDI, almost never pre-made loops. And I'm not a very loud singer.) The Focusrite is about $25 cheaper, but is one more user-friendly than the other, perhaps? Thanks for answering all my questions.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
andeejoyce

Post by andeejoyce »

Does the 2i4 play nice with Windows 7? I saw some reviews saying the Windows drivers on that box were buggy, but maybe they fixed that, or it's okay with Windows 7? The Mac users seemed happy with it. (And I promise this is my last question!)
Brother Charles

andeejoyce wrote:Does the 2i4 play nice with Windows 7? I saw some reviews saying the Windows drivers on that box were buggy, but maybe they fixed that, or it's okay with Windows 7? The Mac users seemed happy with it. (And I promise this is my last question!)
i've the best of success with it on my x64 Win 7 (SP1) system. :)